• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh There are petitions about Gamefreak fixing the 'Galar Pokedex' thing

What I'm confused about is that the national dex has actually been missing since Sun and Moon and I don't remember nearly as much backlash when it was first taken out (there definitely was some).

Not being able to add all the old Pokemon into these games is an understandable concern, but the "National Dex" has in reality been gone for some time now.

"National Dex" is a much catchier, easier way to put it than "some Pokemon aren't programmed into the game", which is why people use it. It is true that they're not the same thing though.

Joe Merrick twitted this: "Small cool note about SWSH. After defeating the Gym Leader, it cuts to a small animation of you and your current Pokémon celebrating, so every Pokémon has an animation for that. It made both the trainer and Pokémon seem emotive."

...Is that what Game Freak was referring to with improved animations?

Nintendo Everything recently posted a video of the E3 demo. At the 3:50 mark, when Nessa is defeated, you can see that the trainer and her Grookey have a victory animation...

...Which is really no more than the trainer hopping in glee and the Grookey making a cry. It's really short and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for every Pokemon to have an unique victory animation. Unless Joe Merrick was referring to something that occurs after you receive the badge, which the demo ends right after. But I don't think that is what he was referring to.

SM's rewarding of the diploma with only the completed Regional Dex was one thing I actually liked about that game. It was the first (and maybe only) time I was ever able to get the diploma.

I don't mind it if all games going forward did that from now on. But I would still ideally like the option of transferring my favorites. I don't even care about completing the full National Dex because that's an impossibility for me at this point.

How funny to see people keep talking about GF difficulties as if they were an indie company.
Guys, most of the companies out there sell 1/10 of what pokemon sells every year and release games with way better graphics than Pokemon. If they wanted to, if they truly wanted to they would have invested properly in these games and make them two stunning games. We don't know what the actual content will be, but I have to say that these games (on the surface) just don't make you feel that greatness that is the theme of gen8 because the graphics are really meh. The even funnier thing is that they said they had to cut half of the pokedex because of the animations...hilarious.
The most irritating thing is that those fanarts of what the games could have been are actually entirely possible. They have the money, they have the support of the fandom, they just refused to do what other franchises dream to do if only they had the money that tpci has.

...Is that what Game Freak was referring to with improved animations?

Nintendo Everything recently posted a video of the E3 demo. At the 3:50 mark, when Nessa is defeated, you can see that the trainer and her Grookey have a victory animation...

...Which is really no more than the trainer hopping in glee and the Grookey making a cry. It's really short and it shouldn't be too much of a hassle for every Pokemon to have an unique victory animation. Unless Joe Merrick was referring to something that occurs after you receive the badge, which the demo ends right after. But I don't think that is what he was referring to.

Also that "victory animation" looks basically like a ranged attack animation without the particle effects, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's recycled, too. Most ranged attacks just show the Pokemon rearing back and opening it's mouth, which is what that "victory pose" looks like, so . . .

Also that "victory animation" looks basically like a ranged attack animation without the particle effects, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it's recycled, too. Most ranged attacks just show the Pokemon rearing back and opening it's mouth, which is what that "victory pose" looks like, so . . .

You'd think they should be able to at least recycle the Pokemon-Amie/Refresh animations, yes?

I...

Can they take a coursera course or something. How could Game Freak, as a company, exist for so long and not learn how to code better. Or hire people who can code better.

I (don't) hate to say it but I hope this is the fall of Game Freak and that Nintendo and TPC (owning two thirds of the franchise collectively) gets someone else to make the games. But then again, there's no accountability. Unless SwSh flops (it won't) there's no reason for Game Freak to get better at anything because they know they can give suboptimal games and still maximize profits.
Smogon would be the best candidate for the job since they understand competitive more than Game Freak does. I think the company's now at the point where they don't want to have anything to do with the Pokémon franchise anymore (look at their new IP Town) by passing the torch to Nintendo, Niantic, and TPCI with Pokémon Go, video game spin-offs, as well as the Trading Card Game / Online Card Game where they seem to be making more money than the main series titles themselves.

Last edited:
some species should not be present in climates they aren't but on the other hand you can bring them over by ship or throug a pokemon center.
Thats why some are already there present and only those.
I think limitation is logical taking a new beginning trainer that was not in other regions.
They can always say that the time is the same time Ash began his journey in Kanto.
Also I think they want to test out new pokemon, new mechanic, new abilities, new moves and some changes befor adding everything into one mix.
A test drive before you complicate everything to make people test new stuff out before going to fan fovorites and only playing to get to the national dex only...

Remember gens where only new pokemon where there? What if they say a habbitat was so isolated that other species didn't could come naturally there and those who were beeing brough didn't handle the climate and strong homegrown species competition based on numbers and potentials.

Last edited:
My question is, if the models are all done by Creatures Inc (and assuming their animations too), then why not let them sort out the problem that GF are allegedly having?
You know, that's a good point you just brought up. Where are Creatures in all of this? Did they have a falling out with Game Freak or something?

My question is, if the models are all done by Creatures Inc (and assuming their animations too), then why not let them sort out the problem that GF are allegedly having?
You know, that's a good point you just brought up. Where are Creatures in all of this? Did they have a falling out with Game Freak or something?
I will give both of you the answer:

Haha, I really don't know ¯\(ツ)

I am not sure that Creatures were involved with the animations for XY (as opposed to the models). They might have been, but it's hard to check a list of over 50 people (and it doesn't really matter what company helped Game Freak because they could outsource anyone, pretty much). A Polygon interview only gives them credit for the models:

Fun work for Sugimori, perhaps, but imagine if you're Takao Unno and the team at Creatures that had to create animated 3D models for all 700 or so Pokemon that have ever existed. "It took a lot of time," said Unno, who's no doubt a master of understatement. "Going 3D for them has been in the back of our minds for a while, but we also all agreed that we didn't want to go 3D if we'd wind up losing Sugimori's artistic touch on the Pokemon in the process. So we stuck with pixel art for a while, but as time went on, I think we naturally started to think that it was time, in terms of our 3D skills and in terms of being able to use the 3D screen as well."

Sugimori himself originally had skepticism for the idea of going 3D "if you think about it, it was really a madman's idea," he said. "It meant basically throwing away all of our 2D skills." But Unno saw it as more than possible. "This is kind of tooting our own horn," he said, "but with Pokemon Black/White I think we succeeded in getting the pixel art to animate in a more attractive fashion. With that experience in mind, I decided to go ahead with 3D modeling, with the understanding from the team that if we aren't satisfied with the results, we'll quit at that point. So with the help of Creatures, I think we produced results that even the fans will like a lot."

Edit: It says animated models, but the focus is on the modeling.

Last edited:
So there is something else that hit me while at work with the mess going on.

We know Game Freak typically has features, some well liked and then removing them from generation to generation. With Pokemon Masters, I had noticed triples coming back. For the record, though it pains me to admit it the people passionate about it, including myself, are few so it doesn't effect as much. I do wonder however, if they start adding fan favorite features to the mobile series of games, but leaving out of the main ones?

I can imagine the mess coming from that. Now the rest of fanbase can feel the salt I've had for years.

I think limitation is logical taking a new beginning trainer that was not in other regions.
They can always say that the time is the same time Ash began his journey in Kanto.
Except you're still allowed to transfer some Pokemon from Home, just not all. The idea of starting over doesn't provide any story justification there.
Remember gens where only new pokemon where there? What if they say a habbitat was so isolated that other species didn't could come naturally there and those who were beeing brough didn't handle the climate and strong homegrown species competition based on numbers and potentials.
Galar's grasslands look no different than previous regions. If Pokemon can handle Route 1 in other regions, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to handle Galar.

I am going to reget this I fear...

Got linked some stuff about questionnaire emails in Europe and surveys in Japan. Got a link for the Japanese survey and a translation, Reddit trust for the email.

Survey emails and links in Europe and Japan are floating around. Got links to the Japanese survey and translation, and a reddit about the email in Europe.

第一回『ポケモン ソード・シールド』アンケート | ポケットモンスターオフィシャルサイト

Google Translate

...Can I just say, before Reddit flames start up, that the part mentioned about the age preference for response is really not something to fume at. They should think about parts outside that age, but age rage always worries me.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom