• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In light of recent VGC news

Peppermint Phoenix

The one once known as Alphaphlare
Reaction score
I am once again asking for changeable IVs. Bottle caps attempted to fix the right problem but the execution was off of what I wanted

Here's my proposal: One NPC increases a IV of a level 100 by 1 point in exchange for a big level drop. Another lowers the IV of a level 100 Pokémon in exchange for a small level drop. It may be a little tedious but everyone would have the option to brute force it, any Pokémon can be optimized and the more you do it the easier breeding gets. In tandem with hyper training things would be super easy

I feel as though Nature Mints made it too easy for players to cheat in VGC because If you fill out a participation sheet with all the Pokémon including their Max EV's and IV spreads that goes against the Nature that the Pokémon originally had then the Judge or Tournament Organizer is probably going to disqualify you for cheating even though it's a part of the main game and not from an external device or mobile app. Don't the Judges and Organizers care more about the moves and abilities used rather than stat numbers?

The fact that the Nintendo Switch is setup to where you can't SR Natures for Event Pokémon like you could on the Nintendo DS and 3DS to justify the use of the Nature Mints feels like you're cheating even more because why download a Victini event to get a random Nature that you can't SR just to use a Nature Mint on it where the VGC Judges and Tournament Organizers will think the stats aren't legitimate? "Oh I got a Relaxed Nature Victini that I wanted to have Adamant or Jolly Nature yet it's stats at Lv. 50 or 100 don't align with the Nature it was given."

Since the most important IV distributions are 31 and 0, they should just invent a Bottle Cap that reduces an IV to zero, with a warning that it could severely drop your Pokemon's stat.

Also, I think all relevant people and features related to competitive should be in the same area of the game, and that area should also include easy access to Pokemon that give out high EVs (maybe in a Friend Safari-like area).

I would also suggest officially banning IV breeding for VGC while only allowing Hyper Training and nerfing Destiny Knot to where it no longer carries over IV's when breeding and you'd have less players desiring specific Ditto when they have a legitimate reason to catch a legitimate Ditto that isn't Genned it's as simple as that. That's arguably the best fix for Competitive Pokémon I can think of at this point while encouraging players to breed legitimate Pokémon without the need for a 6 31 IV Ditto to breed teams with that a lot of hackers are exploiting through Wonder / Surprise Trade.

The reason why I want IV changes that affect breeding instead of just rusty bottle caps is that during gen 6 people used clones of 6 31IV dittos. They were willing to put in work just as much randomness as required legitimately. I want people to have the ability to retroactively earn that what they cheated for.

I've already mentioned this in another thread here but would it hurt Nintendo / Game Freak to ACTUALLY have a Mystery Gift Event for 6 31 IV Ditto that you can legitimately obtain through a code you get at GameStop, Walmart, or Target to download? Why make players work for their 6 31 IV Ditto through Dynamax Raids in Sword & Shield and Tera Raids in Scarlet & Violet when a Mystery Gift Event helps solve the problem so much easier? But no please keep giving us Mystery Gifts for Sandwich recipes in Scarlet & Violet.

Speaking of Mystery Gift Events, Nintendo / Game Freak has been incredibly lax as the last Pokémon we've obtained as a Mystery Gift Event was Victini in Sword & Shield. It seems as though they changed their stance in Gen 9 where it's like, "Oh you want these rare Pokémon? Well you're gonna have to participate in a Tera Raid with your friends online If you want them". And that's EXACTLY what they're currently doing with the Mew and Mewtwo distribution in Scarlet & Violet.

One of my friends at work was like, "Well I'll just Gen Mew and Mewtwo since I don't have any friends online to do a Tera Raid with in Scarlet & Violet". This underlines the biggest problem with VGC in Pokémon which is accessibility. The way it's handled now is unreasonable and shouldn't be used to pressure players into having to Gen for their own Pokémon when the paywall to afford it is too much. Not only are you paying a subscription fee to use the Nintendo Switch's online features to do this but you're also paying a premium with DLC as well.

I've already mentioned this in another thread here but would it hurt Nintendo / Game Freak to ACTUALLY have a Mystery Gift Event for 6 31 IV Ditto that you can legitimately obtain through a code you get at GameStop, Walmart, or Target to download? Why make players work for their 6 31 IV Ditto through Dynamax Raids in Sword & Shield and Tera Raids in Scarlet & Violet when a Mystery Gift Event helps solve the problem so much easier? But no please keep giving us Mystery Gifts for Sandwich recipes in Scarlet & Violet.

Speaking of Mystery Gift Events, Nintendo / Game Freak has been incredibly lax as the last Pokémon we've obtained as a Mystery Gift Event was Victini in Sword & Shield. It seems as though they changed their stance in Gen 9 where it's like, "Oh you want these rare Pokémon? Well you're gonna have to participate in a Tera Raid with your friends online If you want them". And that's EXACTLY what they're currently doing with the Mew and Mewtwo distribution in Scarlet & Violet.

One of my friends at work was like, "Well I'll just Gen Mew and Mewtwo since I don't have any friends online to do a Tera Raid with in Scarlet & Violet". This underlines the biggest problem with VGC in Pokémon which is accessibility. The way it's handled now is unreasonable and shouldn't be used to pressure players into having to Gen for their own Pokémon when the paywall to afford it is too much. Not only are you paying a subscription fee to use the Nintendo Switch's online features to do this but you're also paying a premium with DLC as well.
The Mew is a Mystery Gift distribution. There’s no paywall. Unless you count wifi as a paywall, but that’s a different, bigger conversation.

Your proposal makes very little sense when 5/6 of the pokemon on the winning team aren't even breed-able.

I don't understand the Pokemon Community's obsession with how supposedly difficult and how long it takes to make a competitive team. It's really not that difficult or that time consuming. This attitude also wouldn't fly in any other competitive scene. Can you imagine a competitive fighting game player complaining how long it takes to be good at a character? Or how about League of Legends?

Like; that's a real shame. If you want to be a top player, it takes a lot of time. If you don't? Then what does it matter?

I just don't care. No matter how easy it is, it's not like I'm ever realistically going to be invited to a tournament. I don't care about playing the meta. I'll slap together a Team of my favorites, play a few games online every now and again and be content.

Also, also; my entire competitive team in SwSh was bred without a ditto because I just used the gift pikachu with 6ivs and some random raid pokemon when that wasn't compatible. It took me about half a day. It was WAY harder in gen 6 because of how much more rare hidden abilities were and needing to breed for egg moves, the rarity of good IV pokemon in general, the lack of decent IV judge, etc.

Can you imagine a competitive fighting game player complaining how long it takes to be good at a character? Or how about League of Legends?
No because it has nothing to do with the problem. Taking time to breed and train a team doesn't make you a better VGC player. No one is complaining about the fact you've got to play online and do a lot of battles to get better at the game.
And you don't have to be so rude to him.

Last edited:
No because it has nothing to do with the problem. Taking time to breed and train a team doesn't make you a better VGC player. No one is complaining about the fact you've got to play online and do a lot of battles to get better at the game.
And you don't have to be so rude to him.
It can take 100s of games just to unlock RANKED in league of legends. Grinding essence to unlock abilities/runes doesn't automatically make you better at competitive but it's what you have to do. The barrier to entry that is EV training is nothing in comparison.

Also, you don't have to gaslight me.

Mod Note (Heated Discussion)
Please try to keep discussion civil, everyone. We know this is a controversial & heated topic, but that doesn't mean we need to be disrespectful to each other in the process.

It can take 100s of games just to unlock RANKED in league of legends. Grinding essence to unlock abilities/runes doesn't automatically make you better at competitive but it's what you have to do. The barrier to entry that is EV training is nothing in comparison.
you said his proposal made no sense because of the breeding thing, except his proposal could also be used for non breedable Pokémon.

People don't complain only about EV training. There is also the grinding for money (bps don't even exist anymore), berries (that you can't grow), exp, items, now tera shards, tms, the breeding for 0 IV Pokémon and the soft reset for people who want 0/a very small number IVs on their legendaries (+ the fact the game doesn't tell you the exact number of IVs), and the fact you have to do this multiple times to stay in touch with the meta.
If you play ssbu and other fighting games you don't have to spend hours to build a character. Not every game requires you to spend hours just to get the things to play, people totally have the right to complain. (Besides, I've seen players complain about the lol stuff too.)
And it's not only noobs who talk about these issues.

And before anyone tells me I'm promoting cheating methods, I am not. I'm only showing that even great players disapprove of the grinding aspect.

So, if you like it, you have the right, no one is preventing you from playing like you want. But if players are not happy with the system, let them be.

And there are many other problems with the Vgc system such as the fact many Pokémon are locked behind another paywall and that the system isn't newcomer friendly, that people got disqualified for non valid reasons, the Honolulu controversy and other things. And once again it's not only noobs who talk about this, top players also do.

Last edited:
There's no skill gain from making a competitive team, so i don't know why people are comparing it to getting good with a character in a fighting game. The only situation where you can even compare these two is getting good at battling by actually using the competitive team, but to do that you have to grind to even get the team in the first place and again that doesn't require skill or you gain no skill from making it.

Plus Gamefreak is trying its hardest to make the games easier and easier to beat to have people reach competitive faster and faster, and yet they put this big grind wall for some reason.

Last edited:
Just leagalize genning. Grinding four hours on end should not be a prerequisite for participation in competitive Pokémon.

Me also, what is the recent vgc news???
Several competitors for VGC who participated in the 2023 Pokémon World Championships in Yokohama, Japan were caught and disqualified for using Genned / Hacked Pokémon in their official teams when the tournament officials ONLY performed a hack check on those who made top cut yet none of the other contestants were disqualified for it:

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom