• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

In Memoriam: Celebrities

You can check out the ad here, which watching it was part of the Melbourne childhood:
Apologies to burst in here like this, but your post with the video caught my eye a bit...?

Because in my local area, we have something a bit similar as well! Apparently there are stores all over the very northwest parts of America (essentially alaska state and washington state) — but I grew up (?) with a mattress commercial (lol) with a similarly eccentric personality! There are loads of these commercials around ahaha.

Granted, I believe the person in the commercial (I call him 'the SpongeBob tie guy') is still alive, but this jogged a bit of a memory for me. It's interesting to have a look into other places' local icons, so thank you for sharing — as sad as it is that this is the way I hear about this particular one.

Back on the 10th, we lost famed game developer Jennell Jaquays from Guillain–Barré syndrome at the age of 67. She was famous for her work on tabletop RPGs such as the Dungeons and Dragons modules Dark Tower and Caverns of Thracia. She also has plenty of notable video game credits under her belt, such as her work on Quake 2 and Quake 3 Arena, the ColecoVision port of Donkey Kong, and Age of Empires III.

German record producer Frank Farian, who was the producer who formed bands such as Boney M., No Mercy and a duo who shall remain nameless to maintain the dignity of the forums (but we know who this due are because of a certain scandal in the early 90s) has died aged 82.

We lost famed actor Carl Weathers yesterday at the age of 76. He actually started out as a football player who played for the Oakland (now Las Vegas) Raiders, but only for one game. He would later become known as an actor, best known for his role as Apollo Creed in the Rocky series and Chubbs in Happy Gilmore. He also appeared in Predator as Colonel Al Dillon and Greef Karga in the hit Disney+ series The Mandalorian, among other projects. His cause of death is currently unknown.

Almost forgot to mention that we lost famed country singer Toby Keith back on the 5th to stomach cancer. He was 62 and was best known for hit singles like "Should've Been a Cowboy", "How Do You Like Me Now?", and "Red Solo Cup".

And another person involved with animation/anime, being Akira Toriyama himself:

Even if I didn't watch DB and such until 18, yeah I did play the first four Dragon Quest games on the NES as a kid. Even saw the occasional dub episodes of Abel Yuusha.

Even if I didn't watch DB and such until 18, yeah I did play the first four Dragon Quest games on the NES as a kid. Even saw the occasional dub episodes of Abel Yuusha.
I just........wow. I'm completely flabbergasted. I can't believe Akira Toriyama's dead. RIP to a great, great man. I've been a fan of his works for over 12 years now, and I always will be. Rest easy friend. (If we only had the Dragon Balls and Shenron to wish you back. :cry:)

Last edited:

Akira Toriyama was such a massive influence on not just our childhoods, but on media as a whole and so much more! There's a list of athletes a mile long that list Goku as their inspiration for training! To say nothing of Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and the various other projects he was involved in. The man's art was phenomenal, too. Loved his character designs.
akira toriyama letter of death.jpg

This is just heartbreaking. He was so influential and seemed like an amazing person. DBZ has been a very important part of my life and I can’t believe this happened so suddenly. :sadsola:

This is just heartbreaking. He was so influential and seemed like an amazing person. DBZ has been a very important part of my life and I can’t believe this happened so suddenly. :sadsola:
Couldn't agree more. Both Dragon Ball Z and Dragon Ball GT were important parts of my life (I remember watching both on Cheez TV on Network 10 when I was a kid), so it is a dark day for anime fans throughotu the world as one of the greatest people in the history of anime is sadly no longer with us. And I think I mentioned it somewhere, but I once watch Dragon Ball Super on Channel 31 here in Melbourne, in the original Japanese, and I have been meaning to watch the dub on ABC Me, so I might check it out.

I can only imagine how distraught his family must be. Dragon Ball as a whole has brought joy to many people around the world, be it from the start in the 80s in Japan or some countries with early dubs, or later on in the 2000s... One thing's for sure : no matter if you're a hardcore fan or you simply enjoy the show, we are all holding hands in his honor. "We were Angels" hits harder now than ever...

I’m literally crying over Akira Toriyama’s death. The DragonBall series is one of the most influential series of all time, and it left a permanent legacy whose echoes can be felt throughout the entire anime/manga industry.

As an aspiring artist, I admire Toriyama’s artwork so much. He had a truly unique, instantly recognizable style and amazing character designs.

He will forever be a beacon of inspiration to light the way for future manga artists.

May he rest in eternal peace.

There was also another devastating loss to the anime community on March 4th. Tarako, best known as the voice actress of the title character in the popular long running animated series Chibi Maruko-Chan, died at the age of 63. We also lost singer Eric Carmen on an unknown date. He was 74 at the time of his death. He was best known for hits such as "All By Myself" and "Hungry Eyes", the latter of which was featured on the soundtrack of the 1987 hit movie Dirty Dancing. He was also the lead singer of the pop rock group the Raspberries.

Joe Lieberman died yesterday at the age of 82 from complications from a fall. He was best known for his long service in the US Senate, representing the state of Connecticut from 1989 to 2013. He was also the Democratic Party's nominee for Vice President in the 2000 Presidential race, and by extension the very first Jewish candidate to ever be on a major party's Presidential ticket for either President or Vice President.

Back
Top Bottom