• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Bulbapedia In other languages

I've noticed that "In other languages" is often a subsection of "Trivia". I really don't think this should be the case. Other language names are not trivial.

Also, mostly in character articles, "Names" is used instead of "In other languages". We really should just pick one (my preference is "In other languages") and be consistent with it.

i agree that "other names" should be used, nor in the trivia section. however, given the popularity of trivia, and the lack there-of for names, im inclined to keep trivia on top.
granted, i bounced around some species pages, and found that "languages" is generally in its own section, and not a sub-section of trivia.

This issue was discussed before, and the result was the renaming of "In other language" section (in city and town articles) to "Name origin". Moving on, I don't really support "In other languages" on certain pages as the list usually includes the Japanese and English names (which isn't considered "others").

Now, I do remember that argument you linked, which reminds me of another one I saw once; a suggestion for changing the species pages (there was an argument somewhere else, but that is where the user suggested it). I agree with it, but I think the section should be called "Name origin". Also, if we do this, I would move "origin" out from under "Trivia", and keep "Name origin" as a subsection of it.

To clarify, I mean the structure would be this:
==Trivia==
* This Pokémon is awesome

==Origin==
This Pokémon is based on a lamp

===Name origin===
<table goes here>

Extending this, I think that if the table lists name origins, it should be called "Name origin"; if it just lists names, it should be called "In other languages", and not include English/Japanese.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom