• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Initial Team Building Ideas

Reaction score
All the confirmed Pokémon so far: Paldea Pokédex - Pokémon Scarlet & Violet

One of the most exciting things for me when a new game comes out is to think of what my team will be. With the open world system in play, teams may be more diverse then ever since there’s a fair chance we’re not limited by routes.

For me, one of my goals is to make a team of all “new” Pokémon, which obviously includes the ones introduced that gen but also considers previous-gen Pokémon that I’ve wanted to use but haven’t gotten the chance. Paldean Wooper and Cyclizar are the closest mons I have to “lock ins” for my team, and Starly is also looking like a real possibility since I still haven’t played a Sinnoh game.

Obviously once the game comes out we can plan better in alignment with story progression but I don’t see anything wrong with spitballing preliminary ideas either. I’m curious what y’all are thinking.

My only definites right now are Quaxly and Pawmi. Hopefully some future cutiepies will catch my eye soon :bulbaLove: There are some boxes I hope to check if I can.

1. I'd like to use one Paldean Form. I used to stick to completely brand new Pokemon, but I've warmed up to viewing region forms as new Pokemon in their own right, especially if they get new evolutions. Recently if I've liked a regional form enough I've used them. And now part of me wants to secure at least one for my team, but I'd rather not use more than one. (Still gotta try out the newbies :LOL:

2. I want to use one Version Exclusive. I've been trying to use more version exclusives these days since I feel like if I'm going with a certain version I should try to use the exclusive captures. I try to have at least one on my team, so hopefully a Scarlet exclusive will be cute enough for me to want it. :bulbaLove:

3. Ideally I'd like to have a Pokemon with a rare Tera Type, buuuutttttt considering how they seem limited to Tera Raid Dens just like how Gigantamax Forms were limited to Max Raid Dens until Max Soup was a thing, I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get one. Still, if I can try to get one I will.

Honestly though, I'm a bit unsure how my team will work this time around, what with the whole open world and 3 stories we can do in any order. It'll make team building really interesting this time around since we won't have as many restrictions.

Right now, the Pokemon I want to use for sure are Sprigatito, Smoliv, Lechonk, Fidough, Paldean Wooper and maybe Cetitan. I do like all the Pokemon that have been revealed so far but these are the ones that interest me the most. Maybe Grafaiai will catch my attention too once we learn more about it.

The only ones I know for sure is Fuecoco and that's just because I usually keep my starter on my team until it's level 100 and Grafaiai because I've always wanted an aye-aye Pokémon.

Maybe also Flabébé since I have one I got in a wonder trade just taking up space in my free HOME box for literal years now and I just think the white flower ones are neat.

But other than that, I try not to plan out teams in advance. I know something will happen like version exclusives, too late in the game, or types not being the best fit for the situation.

Last edited:
I've always had some "rules" to decide on what Pokémon I'd use in a new game.
  • New Poké first, including new forms such as regional forms and new evolution of recurring Poké. Next is old Poké I haven't had the chance to use but interested in using. The last is old Poké that I've used before.
  • No type overlap. My team was usually built around my starter since I like keeping my starter throughout the game (unless I don't like their design at all like in SwSh).
  • Poké that can evolve only. 3 stagers are better, but I'd also use some 2 stagers one. I like evolving my Poké.
  • Dual type over single type ones.
  • No normal types. Certain types like Ground, Flying, and Fairy usually got a spot in my team. Though that's not definite.
Right now the ones that caught my interest among the revealed non-starters are P. Wooper and Pawmi. For the starter I'm thinking of using either Fuecoco or Quaxly, leaning more towards Quaxly.

Also, based on the leaks, I really want to use the hammer fairy Poké.

I feel like my team "rules" have slowly fallen away over time. They weren't hard rules but things like "no type overlap" or "no single stage mons" fell apart when Pokemon appeared that broke those rules I wanted to use. (Mawile in Pokemon X was the entrypoint for me using single stage mons because of it's mega evolution.....and I absolutely had to use Drampa in Moon.

Type overlap hasn't been a big issue for me since I wanted to use both Delphox and Malamar in X. (and then I used Toxapex, Golisopod and Ribombee in Moon) It's not preferable but it's not a deal breaker either.

The only rules I still tend to stick with is only using new Pokemon (although I skipped that in gen 6 I usually stick to that one) and not using legendaries. That last one is easy though since I usually have a full team by the time legends become available anyway.

For my team so far I haven't decided yet between Fuecoco and Quaxly, their final evolution (and what other new Pokemon there are) will determine my choice I think.

Last edited:
I used to use only new Pokemon in my first ever runs for each version. But this has become more and more difficult as some newer designs have not been pleasing to me as much...

As for now, it's like this (beware of spoilers/leaks):

(Main) Violet: Sprigatito-evo, Seviper, Houndoom, Galladevoir Future Form, Honchkrow and Hisuian Zoroark.
Scarlet: Venomoth, Golduck, Girafarig Cross-evo, Jigglypuff Ancient Form, Mismagius, Froslass.

Need to see/yet to decide: Maybe Ceruledge. Misdreavus, Volcarona and pseudos temporal forms. New dark and ghost dog mons. Electric seagull, steel/ghost coin mon, sushi dragon. Aside from these, there seems to be other interesting concepts too, but I'm not so keen about putting them on my first-ever teams yet.

edit beware of leaks
Violet (Main): Eviolite Floragato, Seviper, Houndoom, Iron Valiant (Galladevoir), Honchkrow and Hisuian Zoroark (hope HOME connection comes soon if Hisuian is unobtanaible);
Scarlet: Venomoth, Golduck, Farigiraf, Shiny Kilowattrel (hoping it's red instead of yellow), Mismagius, Froslass.

Will find a way to try to shoehorn Ceruledge and Tatsugiri

Last edited:
Every time I play a new generation I only use the new pokemon, it would be boring for me to use the ones I already used in other generations

Been a while since I posted my team plans, although they haven't come along that much since the last post and it's mainly filled with spoiler pokemon right now. I'll probably go with Violet. I have Armarouge on my maybe list but it's probably unlikely I'll actually use it.

Definite
Quaxly/Fuecoco

Maybes
Farigiraf
Grafaiai
Armarouge

Engine
Two head kappa chilli pepper
Coin/Gold Idol
Ostritch
Rock Salt
Crystal Flower
Flamingo
Smoliv evo
Sushi fish

It's kinda hard to judge based on descriptions though. I thought the frog pokemon would be a likely team member but I'm not that crazy about Bellibolt.

Grass Cat Starter
The Bread Dog
Houndour if I can get it in Pokemon Violet
Ceruledge
Miradon (since it'll be violet I'll be renting from Gamefly)
Maybe Girafaring if that is in the pokmeon violet one (just to play with the evolution)
Maybe Dunsparce (since it's rumored to be getting a new evolution if it is in Violet)

Really hard to plan out since you don't know really what are violet exclusive and scarlet exclusive. Certainly not getting icicle cube penguin, that looks stupid.

All I know at the point is that Armarouge is a possible member. Not sure about the staters. While I am leaning towards Sprigatito, I am waiting to learn what the final evolutions are before deciding on the starter.

Going with Sprigatito-evo, Cereludge (cause I'm playing Violet), Farigaraf, and mayyybe Pawmi if it has a good evo.

Right now, the Pokemon I want to use for sure are Sprigatito, Smoliv, Lechonk, Fidough, Paldean Wooper and maybe Cetitan. I do like all the Pokemon that have been revealed so far but these are the ones that interest me the most. Maybe Grafaiai will catch my attention too once we learn more about it.

Now that we have more Pokemon revealed, Ceruledge, Wiglett and Bellibolt are now potential team members I'm interested in using. Cyclizar and Farigiraf also interest me but I don't want too many Normal types on my team.
At the end of the day, it will depend on which ones I come across first (revealed or otherwise) because I have a hard time replacing team members once I get a full team.

So...I've kind of changed my mind. In addition to Fuecoco and Grafaiai...I kinda want to use Ceruledge and Greavard out of the revealed Pokémon.

All I have to say is thank goodness for Teratralization because otherwise I'd have the most unbalanced team ever. This is also why I said it's probably best for me not to plan out my teams beforehand. Because I will want to end up using all of them.

So far none of the revealed ones really piqued my interest. I thought I might want to use the plasma frog, but Bellibolt isn't really what I thought it would be. So my initial planned team is still unchanging, that is (including leaked mons):

First choice
  • Quaxly
  • P. Wooper

• Hammer fairy
  • Electric seagull
  • Kappa pepper
  • Kamen rider grasshopper

Second choice
  • Fuecoco
  • Pawmi

• Tentacool-but-not-really
  • Mankey
  • Paradox Donphan (only if it's catchable before post-game)

I've never really had any "team rules" going into a new game; other than trying to avoid old gens and (most) type overlap, I usually just catch what I like and whatever happens happens. Therefore, I'm sure this will change on a whim as soon as the games release. That said, out of the ones that have been revealed, I know for sure I'm going to have these ones:
  • Sprigatito
  • Paldean Wooper
  • Wiglett
Ceruledge is pretty cool but I don't know if I'd keep it on my team the whole way through. I debated whether or not I wanted Cetitan, but Ice-types usually come in pretty late in the game and I think I'd want to see its stats first before I set my mind to it.

So at the moment my last three slots are reserved for — leak spoilers — the engine, rock salt, and coin. We've seen the engine and rock salt and I love them already; and from what we know the coin just seems right up my alley. I wouldn't be me if I didn't have as many object Pokémon on my team as possible.

I have no rule against older gen Pokémon. There's still plenty of them that I've never used, plenty more that I haven't used in a while, and if I'll be real... there's no way I could see myself making a team of only newest gen Pokémon after what I found to be a pair of thoroughly uninspiring or unsuitable collections for Gens 7 and 8. I did work some new Pokémon into my Ultra Moon team, but Shield is actually the first time I didn't keep anything from the featured generation (not even the starter Sobble, whom I unashamedly boxed after making an Oddish my first catch).

Anyway, my team thoughts (highly subject to Dexit and move availability):

Whatever Quaxly becomes (if type combo permits it, as I don't want any overlaps)
Farigiraf
Ceruledge
Grimmsnarl
Kommo-o
Ferrothorn

I might go with the "three teams, one for each story" tactic. This way, I don't have to worry about over leveling.
The ONLY thing I have in mind team wise is that the Starter will be the star of the Gym Challenge Team.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom