• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Insulting Cultural Edits

I still don't think the layout of Japan is that of the Pokemon World, it's somewhat, but it's definately more American looking (atleast in the anime)

Habunake said:
Come to think of it, the Pokemon World looks more American then Japanese. Why we have some temples and castles here and their, we have alot of mountains and little towns like those here in the US.

Yeah, I think that's the point. Its suppose to feel somewhat domestic to everyone. Of course, there's a slight focus on Japan, but its significantly more subtle than 4Kids leaves you to believe.

I forgot to say this before in my ranting, but yeah, I also agree that changing of most of the names is ok. Personally, though, Saori seems American-acceptible. However, yeah changing names in english or even changing english signs and stuff is stupid and a waiste of money and talent. If pikachu pulls the finger on meowth, then lets edit it.. otherwise its useless.

The only thing I can think of (because I miss the dub a lot) is that I hope P.USA make Harley speak in bad French where he says a word in english in the new version. I think that would fit, and would be funny.

No, they should have Harley use teen-girl speak like 4kids did...

(and rumoured that Harley's VA can do voices for PUSA)

bell02_alpha wasn't suggesting that Harley shouldn't act like a ditz anymore, but rather that when he says a random English word in the Japanese version, he should say something random in French in the English version. English is often used to "dress up" things in Japan just like French is often used to "dress up" things in English.

"That so BCBG!"
"Oh May, tres bien!"
"May es bete!"

That sounds AWESOME!

That'd be kinda awkward, though, since nothing in any of the episodes that have been dubbed so far show Harley speaking in Flench.

I'm pretty sure there is no "japan town" in san francisco. There is a san francisco version of china town.

And they don't target audiences of anime fans who watch the japanese episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JAPAN#Geography_and_climate

It's interesting to learn that most of Japan is mountainous forests. I think they added in the deserts/plains/tropical portions of the landscape just for variety as well as adding an international feel.

I'm a big fan of the whole "Harley using French" thing. I thought he could use Spanish, but I got accused of being stereotypical, on the account that he uses a cactus-type. It wouldn't be hard for them to add a "Tres interesting!" anywhere.

Dogasu said:
That'd be kinda awkward, though, since nothing in any of the episodes that have been dubbed so far show Harley speaking in Flench.
Harley: You'd better prepare yourself, May, because I've been training to win this time! I also learnt to speak French.
May: ...Right.

Vappy said:
I'm pretty sure there is no "japan town" in san francisco. There is a san francisco version of china town.

And they don't target audiences of anime fans who watch the japanese episodes.
lol, I'm not completely sure what this was reference to but there is a Japan Town in San Francisco. Its where the Japan Center is.. I'm not sure if you're from the area or not (assuming not, because its pretty famous to people from SF bay area)... actually I'm not even sure if that was worth bumping, but I think the non-bay area and California people should know..!

However, the point I guess you were making, I'll state the opposite that Kids generally know that the show is japanese or at least tries to be (not that pokemon does, but I think if a kid doesn't think its japanese then they think its something like teen titans). So there is no point in hiding it when its obvious, like hiding japanese words in a japanese styled restaurant. (I think its safe to say that most Sushi places in the US have some kind of Japanese/(or Kanji) character somewhere.

Please note: The thread is from 18 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom