• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

[INTEREST CHECK] Pokémon VS Digimon: Digital Deathmatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pokémon/Digimon crossovers have been done a lot, yes, but I've never really been satisfied with what I've seen. Here's my take on the idea.

In the recent past, a programmer and ex-Pokémon trainer named Andromeda Jameson begins developing a video game for Silph Entertainment Software as a tech demo. Based upon the Digimon franchise, it uses the same principles used to create Porygon to permit limitless, lifelike AI. Silph is so impressed with her work that they pursue a development license from Bandai.

Within a year, Digimon World Online goes live and takes the world by storm. Its stunning visuals and spectacular engine make the gameplay practically flawless.

But the game holds a secret. As it is based upon software used to create a real lifeform, it in itself is truly alive. The Digimon are living, breathing entities with real thoughts and feelings, and their world is a real place that can be entered and exited with the right technology.

After cracking this secret, a subversive military organization attempts to hack the source code to weaponize the game by unleashing reprogrammed Digimon on the real world. When their hacking attempt fails, they instead send an undercover operative, going by the username "sonicstar229", directly into the game world to corrupt the Digimon one by one. Andromeda fights against sonicstar229, but is forced into hiding. In her place, she leaves Gennai, an NPC created to guide new players, to protect the Primary Village, the place where all Digimon are born and reborn.

In the real world, a small number of Pokémon trainers receive Digivices and gain the ability to travel into the Digital World. Gennai tells them they must master the monsters of both worlds in order to defeat sonicstar229 and prevent total destruction.

Pokémon and Digimon would both operate on the same basic gameplay mechanics, though organized somewhat differently to remain consistent with their portrayal in their respective continuities. To elaborate:

• Pokémon are based more around strategy, while Digimon place greater emphasis on brute force.
  • Strength is categorized by evolutionary level, and while my current chart gives Pokémon and Digimon the same number of possible stages, most Pokémon only have access to a few of them, whereas most Digimon can access all of them, and much more easily, at that. Specifically, these levels are:
    1. Birth (Pokémon Egg / Digi-Egg)
    2. Lowest (Baby / Fresh)
    3. Low (Basic / In-Training)
    4. Common (Stage I / Rookie)
    5. Uncommon (Stage II / Champion)
    6. Rare (Mega / Ultimate)
    7. High (Burst / Mega)
    8. Highest (Unstable / Super Ultimate)
  • The ways in which evolutionary levels and alternate forms are reached tend to be consistent among Digimon, whereas Pokémon vary wildly in how they advance. The same basic advancement method categories are used, but the requirements are different.
  • Digimon does have its own elemental type system, but it is very limited and incompatible with the Pokémon type chart. To fix this, the Spirits from Digimon Frontier have been reimagined as held items that bestow a Pokémon type on the Digimon holder and its attacks.
  • Both sets of monsters can receive temporary powerups by means of the Wonder Launcher (Pokémon) or the Digivice (Digimon).
  • And more!

This concept is a work in progress that would benefit from tips and suggestions. First, though, does the base idea catch anyone's interest?

If I can do a double Biomerge/Xros/Evolution with a Pokemon and Digimon, I'm in. :D

....you know, I hadn't thought of someone using Burst (from Pokémon RéBURST) and Biomerge (from Digimon Tamers) at the same time. I guess I just subconsciously assumed that would be impossible. Gives me a whole new concept to consider....

Both techniques are currently available separately. DNA Digivolution is also possible, and Absofusion has been extended to all Pokémon with a result similar to the Pokémon merge glitch from Generation I. This is one way a Pokémon's "Unstable" level is reached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom