• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Interesting, Funny, or Memorable Glitches in Video Games

Reaction score
Bugs. Many games have them, some more or less obvious than others. Some games have more than others. This thread is for discussing glitches and bugs you consider noteworthy for whatever reason, or simply amusing. Many people here are likely familiar with Pokémon R/B's MissingNo, for instance.
Glitches that were eventually fixed can still be mentioned.

I'll lead with this one; the legendary RPG Suikoden 2 was buggy in general, and has one particularly famous one where a gate meant to block off access to an area for much of the game is accidentally flagged as pushable, letting you shove it off it's hinges and reach an area ridiculously ealier than planned. It's dangerous but you can get lots of levels from the monsters there by recruiting some high level party members in the area.

Let's see:

"Linda Blair" Mario, which is what happens if you tilt the Super Mario 64 cartridge. NOTE: Don't use headphones while looking for that glitch in YouTube.

The Banish glitch from the SNES Final Fantasy VI, where you can cast a certain spell (can't remember its name) to defeat an annoying boss easily. There's also a glitch that allows Cyan to keep attacking over and over until the enemy is defeated.

Another memorable glitch that is now a "Funny Aneurism" Moment is the Corrupted Blood Plague that happened in World of Warcraft. This is what happens when you make a poison-like debuff that spreads and forget to make sure it can't get out. Yes, they caused a virtual pandemic by accident.

LEGO Harry Potter had a pretty irritating bug. In one of the optional puzzles, there's a chance that a ball needed for it never spawns, making it impossible to obtain 100%. There's another one that causes the game to crash if you don't alter the config file.

A glitch in the mobile game Animal Restaurant can sometimes cause you to harvest flowers twice. It's actually pretty nice.

Combos were originally a glitch in Street Fighter II. To think that they are now a game mechanic...

Since I'm the only Indie Pogo player here, I don't know if someone else experienced this, but the update that added Diogenes caused him to apppear with all his palettes unlocked, even though they are still listed as available in the shop. Also, Penelope's sixth costume is missing from the shop for some reason.

Ran into an interesting glitch in Sonic Heroes one time and have never been able to recreate it ever again. I was finishing the final boss of the game (Metal Overload) and when the results screen came up.... Team Super Sonic was invisible except for Knuckles and Tails bubbles. To this day, still not sure why that glitch occurred or how I got it to happen, lol.

Goldeneye 007 had a rather infamously hilarious glitch that could occur if you tilted the cartridge where the character models would suddenly freak out and twitch wildly. It ended up leading to the Get Down meme videos.

Sonic Adventure 2 had the Chao Egg Debug room glitch which required acquiring a Chao Garden key in a level BUT the camera had to have the key be out of view so it would register as being picked up but not turn into a 2d sprite. In older consoles, this would lead you to the Debug testing room, in the Steam release, it just seems to lead to Chao world with Tails / Eggman being in their mechs, or Knuckle / Rogue constantly detecting that an emerald shard is somewhere very closeby but being unable to grab it.

Here’s a funny one from Star Trek: Armada.

In the Mission “A Good Day To Die,” Toral’s ship is invincible, but he retreats to a nebula once you’ve destroyed his main base.
As I usually do, I leave defenseless structures alive, so that I can send massive fleets of powerful ships to attack the invincible ship.
One time, I sent too many fleets and built too many Starbases in the area, and the game glitched during the closing cut scene.
Instead of showing Toral’s Negh’Var cruiser retreating, heavily damaged, and Worf’s cloaked Defiant class ship following him, the scene showed an “evil” version of Worf’s Defiant class ship being attacked in the nebula and blown up.

There was a bit of lag before the next mission started, and I was afraid I’d completely crashed the game.

I remember the glitch in Super Mario Sunshine where you can position yourself on one of the awnings in Delfino Plaza during the flood and fall down to the floor and walk through Delfino Plaza underneath the flood water. I actually discovered this one by myself before the internet talked about it. lol

Another memorable but not so fun glitch I remember was in Animal Crossing GCN. Back in those days there were such things as Universal Codes. Well, I got into them and one time entered one that gave me a permanent item in my inventory that looked like a present. D:

I remember I would occasionally get audio glitches in both Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros with the characters' voices. This made me laugh so hard. I remember in Bowser's Castle in Mario Kart 64 one time Mario behind me got hit by one of those thowmps and he made his crying sound (the one about six seconds into this voice clip video) and it kept on repeating over and over. LOL. I can't remember the specifics with SSB64 anymore.

Oh, I also remember in SSB Melee there was a glitch that could send enemies through the ground in Onett. LOL.

I’m not sure how it happened, but once when I was playing Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, a glitch happened that made the Cactus lose her arms, making her look like a spiky pickle. Younger me found it amusing to no end.

My favorite bugs from Hollow Knight:
Takes a deep breath
Tiso
Iselda
Cornifer
Quirrel
Sheo
Mato
Oro
Hornet
Midwife
Leg Eater
Elderbug
Menderbug
Lurien
Herrah
Monomon
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Marmu
Markoth
Seer
Cloth
Pale King
White Lady
Bill/Shade Lord
Godseeker
Lifeblood Creature
Unn
Xero
Zote
Sly
Radiance
Broken Vessel
Pure Vessel
No Eyes
Mantis Lords

Another memorable but not so fun glitch I remember was in Animal Crossing GCN. Back in those days there were such things as Universal Codes. Well, I got into them and one time entered one that gave me a permanent item in my inventory that looked like a present. D:
Was it the infamous paper airplane?

Was it the infamous paper airplane?

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. And here I thought I knew that game inside and out. Lol.

This was just a glitched item using the present image (like the mail packages). That save file is long gone now so I can't give anymore details. =(

The most amusing glitch that comes to my mind is an infinite respawn glitch in SW: Knights of the Old Republic II. In the Tomb of Ludo Kressh on Korriban, there is a chamber on one side with a Jedi corpse that, when looted, spawns a pair of Force-imbued, lizard-like creatures of the dark side called Hssiss. But there's a glitch, with the game being buggy as it is, that makes the Hssiss continuously respawn every time the player checks the corpse again, allowing for infinite exp for the player to farm. This happens to be the only way to go well beyond level 30 in the game.

I'm not sure if this is a known glitch, but one time while playing Super Mario 64, I was swimming around near the cannon outside the castle and when I got out of the water, Mario had no limbs and was flopping around like a fish. It was simultaneously hilarious and beyond freaky.

Also in Super Mario 64, I once nearly had a heart attack because all of my save files were gone. After having a mini meltdown, turning off the N64 and removing the cartridge, and turning the system on again, all my save files were restored. Crisis averted, but man thanks for the completely unnecessary panic attack.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom