• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

International Dub opinions

Captain Save A Ho-Oh

Mods love me
Reaction score
What language do you watch/read Pokemon in? If referring to the anime, Do you like your dub? What do you dislike about your dub?

English

I think the English dub is doing great right now and will get better with the addition of the LA voice actors. The English dub replacement music is fairly poor at most times and James Carter Cathcart's overly goofy voices (James, Oak) is something that I can't get used to.

Where I watch the anime, the Dutch part of Belgium, they didnt broadcast Ultra Legends as a whole, 10 episodes and now they will rebroadcast XY again. It sucks and we didnt see movie M21 or M22 on TV either here. The Netherlands are waaaay better.

The Latin American dub of SM was fine. it didn't have any major mistakes and is fun to hear.
  • Ash (Miguel Angel Leal) sounds fitting for the most childish version of the character. It gets the job done.
  • Kiawe (Kristoffer Romo) is glorious, you wouldn't expect an inexperienced actor to be this good. He sounds natural and gives his all on the scenes with Z-moves.
  • Sophocles (Karla Vega) is fun to hear, it sounds like a high-pitched creative kid like in the Japanese version.
  • Mallow (Araceli Romero) could make her pronunciation sound more natural, but has a cute voice and acted well when she had to.
  • Lillie (Jennifer Medel) takes a while very used to because its sounds very high pitched, but at least it's not a falsetto voice like the English one. She has decent acting, and my appreciation for her increased a lot after an interview where she revealed she had a problem with touching animals like Lillie.
  • Lana (Pamela Cruz) has always made me conflicted. She sounds decent when Lana's sarcastic, but every other time I feel like there's something missing. Also her voice doesn't sound like a child or a teenager's to begin with.
  • Jessie (Diana Perez) sounds as awesome as always.
  • James (Jose Antonio Macias) sounds more natural than in the XY days, and was allowed to improvise more and do creative accents as the 3 seasons went on.
  • Meowth (Gerardo Vasquez)...well, I appreciate that his original actor still voices him, but as seasons go by his Meowth voice becomes more low pitched and his accent becomes weirder. I don't know if it's a direction thing or just him growing old.
  • Misty and Brock had their original actors back and sounded great.
  • Terms usage was fine for the most part as it has been since the late BW days. Many new terms were lifted from the Spain version, but it's hard to argue otherwise as we now receive that version of the games. However I did not like at all that in Season 22 "Hojas navaja" (Razor leaf) was renamed to "Hoja afilada" (lit. Sharped Leaf, its Spain name).

Last edited:
Terms usage was fine for the most part as it has been since the late BW days. Many new terms were lifted from the Spain version, but it's hard to argue otherwise as we now receive that version of the games. However I did not like at all that in Season 22 "Hojas navaja" (Razor leaf) was renamed to "Hoja afilada" (lit. Sharped Leaf, its Spain name).
Wait, Pokémon doesn't get a different translation like what happens with Zelda or Uncharted?

and my appreciation for her increased a lot after an interview where she revealed she had a problem with touching animals like Lillie.
Pretty interesting information. I believe her English VA (Laurie Hymes) said in an interview that she's allergic to animals.

Now their randomly decided on the only channel they show pokemon in Flanders, to re-broadcast Pokemon XY, while Ultra Legends hasnt even aired fully

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom