• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Interview with James Carter Cathcart

They did not keep any more music when they took over the dub and a lot of the dub music was 4Kids’. It was only at the beginning of BW they kept more music and that was 5 years later and only for a 3 year period.
Well, they kept more beginning at mid DP I suppose but that only lasted towards mid BW. Not to mention that there is only one season of the current dub that even kept more than 50% of the OST, and that was Season 14, all the others are still under 50% like the remainder of 4Kids seasons from 4 onward (and that includes the entirety of DP's dub). 4Kids has at least triple the amount of seasons that TPCi did that kept over 50% of the OST, those being Seasons 1-3.

Even 4Kids' worst season on keeping OST didn't change as much as at least the last 3 seasons have now for TPCi, either, that should tell everyone how serious a problem this has become. Even the Movies aren't safe from having most of their Japanese music replaced now, which were safe in the later 4Kids Era, another point I'm going to add here, it honestly does bother me.

Last edited:
I kind of wish he'd went into more detail in his approach towards the voices because I always find that interesting.

All I got was he did Gary voice the way he did it because he looked pointy which is what I figured was the reason since alot of western voice actors think the same way and give similar to their characters. When you've watched as many cartoons as me, you start to notice these thing.^-^;;;;

I did find it interesting about the whole doing a voice behind a kid thing if i heard correctly. Pumbaa's voice actor does the same thing.XD

I love turtwig and Carnivine and had no idea he did those 2. I tend to like his acting mainly due to the characters sounding unusual. I tend to get drawn to those type of characters.=)

Regarding oldguardtruthseeker, I don't think that was ever formally confirmed to be Cathcart. They could easily have been a TPCi employee defending their casting/scriptwriting choices. And even if it was, it doesn't mean he holds the same views today. This "oldguardtruthseeker" was definitely disrespectful to 4Kids and its voice actors, but I didn't get that vibe from the Cathcart interview. Quite the opposite, in fact. Of course they talked about him migrating to the TPCi dub, but he didn't have a grudge against 4Kids or its writers and VAs at all.

And yeah, maybe he overdid the sucking up to Cathcart and Knotz a bit, but at least he was respectful. TPCi staff have been subject to harassment (not just criticism; people can like what they like) for over a decade now, so I could see them being reluctant to conduct interviews, especially since the few ones we've gotten have been scrutinized to make them look bad. Kirbopher was lucky to score an interview with this guy, and roles on the TPCi dub in general, so he can't exactly bite the hand that feeds him. Does no one see why the question "Why does your James sound like he has a head cold?" would be utterly inappropriate in this scenario?

Regarding oldguardtruthseeker, I don't think that was ever formally confirmed to be Cathcart. They could easily have been a TPCi employee defending their casting/scriptwriting choices
I'm pretty sure he's him. He's using Mr. Briney as an avatar, a character voiced by him. His recent posts at Serebii is screaming who he is.

There could be ways to frame the question in a respectful way, like "what inspired the voice you give to James"?

And now that I know they discuss the 4Kids to TPCi shift I really don't want to watch this, Kirbopher (who actually has done voicework for TPCi) got really obnoxious in the Knotz interview about it so I'm sure he'll be similar here.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom