• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Inventions or evaluations?

MrMeowPuss

Reaction score
If you had to choose one, which do you prefer? Cilan's evaluations or Clemont's inventions.

I was never a fan of Cilan so I found his evaluations boring but Clemont's inventions can be pretty good so I would definitely prefer them!

Cilan's evaluations, only because of the uncomfortable looks people had whenever he gave one.

Inventions, if only to see what kind of crazy antics his machines would do and how it will eventually blow up in his face.

Realistically, I can see Clemont's inventions running their course too. But for now they're a breath of fresh air.

I did enjoy the music that would kick in for the evaluations, but I thought the whole Connoisseur thing made little sense to begin with and lost all sense after a few episodes. Clemont's inventions, though obviously nonsense, made rather more sense in the context of the show (We've swallowed the idea of a small backpack carrying picnic tables before, after all) and so far they haven't turned up in literally every episode (So I'm still finding them amusing rather than irritating)

I did enjoy the music that would kick in for the evaluations, but I thought the whole Connoisseur thing made little sense to begin with and lost all sense after a few episodes.

That's because, food metaphors aside, Cilan was basically saying whatever Brock would've said. And Brock didn't even need whatever passes for connoisseur training; he just used common sense and his own two squinty eyes. At least Clemont has the potential to do something useful when he isn't blowing things up. (TPTB better be careful in that regard.)

Invention, hands down. Not so overdone, just crazy enough to man sense in the world( reminds me more of the over the top gadgets TRio usually come up with) and much more funny. Also.....
Bill-Nye-science.gif

Cilan's evaluations are the worst gag this show ever had :dead: and one of the many reasons I disliked BW, so Clemont's inventions, hands down.

Clemont's inventions 100%. This gag, while very funny when the inventions blow up, is much more useful in the fact that they end up having purpose whenever they work. His cannon helped Ash train and find a way to win his 1st badge, his generator healed Dedenne, his tracking device led them to the poacher, etc. Cilan's evaluations were totally boring, repetitive, and overall pointless since they never really mattered in the end. And for me, they just increased the hatred I had for the character.

Inventions. Cilan's evaluations could have been good, but they never amounted to anything; nothing ever came of them. He was basically just making food puns to note traits about Pokemon and trainers that anyone could have seen.

Clemont's gag is, at the very least, funny in the absurdity of the things he makes and how fragile/easily explodable they are.

Definitely Clemont's inventions. They are funny and entertaining unlike Cilan's evaluations, which were pretty boring imo. Also, I have a thing for science and scientific stuff, so Clemont's gag works for me.

Clemont's inventions frequently move the plot forward or are at least useful in some way a lot of the time. That makes it auto-win, plus they're funnier in general.

I would take Clemont's inventions any day. Cilan's evaluations got boring. Well since I became a Clemont fangirl I preferred the inventions. It's funny when they explode.

I prefer Clemont's inventions. There is a lot of creativity in what invention he uses, and so far I find it more amusing than anything Cilan did during Evaluations.

I like Cilan's evaluations, but I prefer Citron's inventions because I really find it cute that Citron makes it sound as if he made an "Invention-of-the-Year", only to blow up thirty seconds later.

I'm definitely going with Clemont's inventions. Cilan's evaluations were entertaining, but there really wasn't much variety in them; they all boiled down to... well, Cilan evaluating a Pokémon's potential in battle while making a scene out of it. This isn't much different from Tracey's observations of a Pokémon's health without the drama. Clemont's inventions, however, are more unpredictable because, even though, after the first couple of times, we knew his new machine was going to blow up in his face, we're always still left guessing what it was going to do. Sometimes his inventions even prove useful in the end, even after they fall apart.

Cilan did have a few other unique quirks, but just the evaluations themselves, while still fun, were really just one-trick ponies. Clemont's inventions may grow stagnant eventually, but I can see them having much longer lasting appeal in the long run, probably more so than most running gags.

Last edited:
I don't think it's fair to face them off each other, one's a gag and the other isn't, at least I never considered Cilan's evaluations a gag? It would be more fair to compare it to Brock's flirting, and in that case Clemont's inventions are better because even though they end up with the same result most of the time, they've been put to good use in actually affecting the plot of the episode and are more entertaining to see play out. It reminds me of Doraemon's gadgets too, so that's a plus.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom