• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Inventions or evaluations?

The inventions are substantial, wether or not they explode in the end. The evaluations were just one annoying persons opinion.

Cilan's evaluations, but that's probably because my opinions about Cilan are stupidly biased.

Inventions. Cilan's evaluations were just his random opinions which nobody even needs to hear, considering they were not always right in the end (such as his evaluations on Ash's Oshawott or Luke's Larvesta while battling them). Besides that, they just took up time and never moved the plot forward like Clemont's inventions do.

At least people gave Cilan strange looks for his evaluations. I'd be shooting him strange looks too.

I definitely prefer inventions, they sort of move things along better than the "tastings" or whatever.

But I do miss how off the wall eccentric Cilian could be.

The inventions are better, more amusing and actually has a variety of stuff, evaluation was just speeches and was pretty annoying.

Im not even sure if i would consider Cilan evaluations as "running gag". But more as part of his personality. Even with more notable examples like Brock chasing after girls or Misty (pulling his ear, nose, dragging him of), it could be said how those were extension of one part of their personality. In Brock case flirty, excentric nature or Misty's strongwilled, fiery attitude keeping others in check to not make fool of themselves etc.
Which sometime were exploited such as other girls falling on Brock tries developing crush.

Although if joke or funny moments done with particular character are repeated long enough regardless of variations brought into it, i guess it can run down in territory of being called running gag.

When comparing Cilan asessment of battles and Clemont various inventions which in most cases tend to backfire blowing up, both of them served entirely different purpose.

In Cilan case evaluation moments, food comparisons and use of classy terms served purpose of not just bringing comedy, but also giving more sophisticated coverage on pokemon battles. Using playful choice of words when describing bond and synchronization between trainers and pokemon. Or better explaining battles and how creative strategy took place there.

Which nicely complemented his character and life calling of becoming top S-class connoisseur, but in a way provided substance to his career as well. Since evaluation comments served as fuel to intensify rivalry , misunderstanding and ire going between him and Burgundy which as less experienced connoisseur felt need to prove herself and beat him out. Usually coming up with less stylish,fitting choice of words in showdown.

Increasing drama and tension going on between them.

Clemont on other hand has affinity to express his love for science, technology and various gadgets through various machines. Small devices he comes up with serving as medium through which his intelligence and love for science can be materialized in something which may or may not be useful in helping to resolve various problems.

In most cases they tend to start working good initially until system becomes overloaded or gets broken exploding in his and friends faces. Leading to awkward and hilarious situations which can sometime get on pokemon and other people nerves (like Serena Fennekin), but also lead to interest and admiration from Ash , Bonnie etc side.

Important and interesting aspect of this is that Clemont inventions dont always serve purpose of making mess and bring humor. But they also contain functional purpose within Clemont character prividing outlet through which he trains on improving his skills and creativity in aim of repeating same success like he did with Aipom arm, Air bag and robot Citron. But also sometime moving things forward like tracking pokemon thief kidnapped(like Daz), helping Ash in training his pokemon for gym rematch through sticky web shooting cannon inspiring him in changing strategy and using Pikachu electroball on ice field to his advantage. Or helping to restore some of lost enegy in Dedenne case before blowing up.

Ill admit Clemont love for inventing caught my interest bringing many fun moments, wacky situations and moments of embarassment. He may not be most athletic guy but through his genious mind he makes up for it in creating devices which can help solve issues which he couldn't be able to do so physically.

Both, Cilan and Clemont with their interests and hobbies were enjoyable to watch for me in their own way., Appreciating Cilan sophisticated humor and choice of words we dont really see very often in pokemon show exploiting on his flamboyant side of character leading to very amusing moments at times. Drawing nice paralell to real life calling of vine sommeliers(for example) and other type of obliging service.

However i also grew to develop sympathy toward Clemont noble tries and love for technology trying his best in helping Ash, Serena and others out in winning battle, catching pokemon and similar things delivering different more straightforward copmedy which extends itself to different situations , characters and pokemon not knowing what will pop oit next(although based on plot of episode you can sometime get rough clue).

Either way both characters succeeded imo in delivering lot of humor and synergy in chemistry with other characters through their hobbies, while sometime pushing things forward being of use to plot.

As much as I loved Cilan's general swanning around, the evaluations as a specific thing were lacking. So if we're doing this particular comparison, I'd go with inventions.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom