• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Inverse Battle Tournament (FINISHED)

Reaction score
With the next season of the BBL coming back around the release of ORAS, let's do some tournaments!

This will be a tournament based on Inverse Battles. Pokémon games have always centered on type matchups and this tournament turns that entire concept on its head! Bring out those Fire-type attacks on Water Pokémon and here's a chance to turn Steel's many resistances against them!

Rules:
The tournament will be a double elimination bracket.

This tournament will be using the rules for Smogon OU format.
All Pokemon above OU are banned.

Endless Battle Clause: Any moveset on any Pokémon that is capable of intentionally causing an endless battle is banned from competitive play. Thus:
A Pokémon may not carry Recycle and hold a Leppa Berry in conjunction with Heal Pulse and Milk Drink, Moonlight, Morning Sun, Recover, Roost, Slack Off, Soft-Boiled, or Wish.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Pain Split on its moveset.
A Pokémon may not hold a Leppa Berry and carry Recycle and Fling on its moveset.
Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are not permitted in play.
Moody Clause: Pokémon with the ability Moody are not permitted.
OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
Sleep Clause: Only one Pokémon may be put to sleep on the opposing team at a time, if not induced by a move such as Rest.
Species Clause: Players cannot have two Pokémon with the same Pokédex number on the same team.

Banned moves: Swagger

Banned Items:
Kangaskhanite
Gengarite
Lucarionite
Mawilite
Any violation of the rules will result in disqualification from the tournament and nullification of any prizes earned.

Battles will be held using Pokemon Showdown! as they have a feature that allows Inverse Battles.

Once a battle has been done, post in this thread with the replay for verification. No need for both players to post replays but have both sides verify the result.

Players are not restricted to using the same team throughout the tournament.

The prizes in this tournament will be Pokemon who have gotten new Mega Evolutions in ORAS, so you can be ready to test out those new Mega Stones when the games come out!

Prizes: (courtesy of Lunacy's RNG service, thanks a lot!)
1st Place:
bagon.gif

Shiny Bagon
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Rock Head
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
Moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage

2nd Place:
swablu.gif

Shiny Swablu
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Outrage

3rd Place:
buneary.gif

Shiny Buneary
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Run Away
Moves: Fake Out and Ice Punch​
Participants will also get a Timid Froakie with Protean, 31/x/31/31/31/31.

There will be 16 spots available and the tournament will start as soon as signups have been filled. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Good luck!

Participants:
1) JustTheFx
2) BadAssGardevoir
3) TerraTF
4) Alexey
5) MachDragonX
6) TriggerDigger (replaced by Loakedout)
7) MaddieTheGamer (dropped)
8) Mr.E
9) johnnyd2
10) blizzaradragon
11) Chiplet
12) I400 (name changed to UnseeingRaccoon)
13) Angad
14) TakuyaDrini
15) Apawn
16) DragonEspeon

Bracket: Inverse Battle Tournament - Challonge

Round 1
DragonEspeon vs. UnseeingRaccoon
johnnyd2 vs. TakuyaDrini
blizzaradragon vs. TerraTF
JustTheFx vs. Chiplet
MachDragonX vs. BadAssGardevoir
Apawn vs. Angad
TriggerDigger vs. MaddieTheGamer Loakedout (bye)
Alexey vs. Mr.E

Winners' Bracket
Round 2

DragonEspeon vs. TakuyaDrini
TerraTF vs. Chiplet
BadAssGardevoir vs. Angad
Loakedout vs. Alexey

Round 3
DragonEspeon vs. Chiplet
Angad vs. Alexey

Round 4
Chiplet vs. Alexey

Losers' Bracket
Round 1

UnseeingRaccoon vs. johnnyd2
blizzaradragon vs. JustTheFx
MachDragonX vs. Apawn
Mr.E vs. MaddieTheGamer

Round 2
Loakedout vs. UnseeingRaccoon
BadAssGardevoir vs. blizzaradragon
TerraTF vs. MachDragonX
TakuyaDrini vs. Mr.E

Round 3
Loakedout vs. BadAssGardevoir
Mr. E vs. MachDragonX

Round 4
BadAssGardevoir vs. DragonEspeon
Angad vs. MachDragonX

Round 5
DragonEspeon vs. Angad

Finals
Chiplet vs. Angad

Tournament Finals
Alexey vs. Angad
Battle 1
Battle 2

Last edited:
Re: Inverse Battle Tournament (Signups)

I've bin looking forward to a Tourney w/ a Twist!
Sighn me up~!
My Showdown Username will be: JustTheFx
lol best prizes ever

I'll sign up even though I haven't had much experience with Inverse Battles... Must... Get... Shiny... Buneary/Swablu...

Last edited:

I'll sign up. Never done a competitive inverse battle before, but I'll give it a shot.

I clicked the sign up link but it brought me to a blank page (I'm new here so I'm not quite sure what I'm doing, just made my account a few minutes ago) either way, I'd like to sign up so if someone could tell me how this works I'd appreciate it

id like to enter my user name is MaddieTheGamer on showdown

@TriggerDigger; it's simple
You wait for the tourney to fill in, an opponent is assigned to you, you arrange the battle on Showdown with said opponent, you battle, win, then rinse and repeat until you win the thing

I'd like to join in please.

Thank you for signing up, and it seems we have some new forum members so a big welcome to you all! :D

If you're not familiar with Pokemon Showdown I would suggest checking out their website (Pokémon Showdown! battle simulator) to get an idea of how to use it so you can be ready for the tournament. If you have any other questions about Showdown or the forums in general, feel free to ask.

Just as an added note: please make sure that you are able to do your battles before signing up. Spots are limited so make sure you will be active in the forums to schedule your battles and keep the tournament going along. Thanks a lot! :)

ill sign up, hopefully i will be here for it because im going out to dinner tonight, but i want the Protean Froakie
user name is johnnyd2

Last edited:

ill sign up, hopefully i will be here for it because im going out to dinner tonight, but i want the Protean Froakie
user name is johnnyd2
I think you should be fine. You get some leeway as you'd need to schedule a time for the battle with your opponent so it's not too rushed as long as you check in here. Good luck!

user name is johnnyd2
I think you should be fine. You get some leeway as you'd need to schedule a time for the battle with your opponent so it's not too rushed as long as you check in here. Good luck!

good
thanks ^_^

I would like to participate please! Username is blizzaradragon.

I'd like to compete as well I suppose.
PS username is I400

In, and back for a little bit. Also it's weird that we're using Smogon's OU Banlist, but in quite a bit different metagame.

P.S. Grape Drink 2.0

I'm in if there are still spots. Any predictions when matches will take place?

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom