• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Inverted Gender Usage

Reaction score
So I was breeding Ralts today to use competitively when I suddenly hatched a shiny one! It was so unexpected and this has never happened before. The only downside is that while all its other IVs are perfect, its Special Defense got swapped with Attack (31/31/31/31/x/31)...and it's male. At first, I didn't want to use it...but I'm slowly warming up to the idea.

Thus brings the question, do you guys use Pokemon of the opposite (somewhat intentional) gender? Like female Machamps or male Gothitelle? Or even male Gardevoir for that matter.

I don't think so. Having strange genders for a Pokemon makes it rather funny. The whole reason that the certain genders for a pokemon exist because many people want to be...sick.

A Gardevoir was intentionally suppose to be a warrior that uses magic, like a mage. Not a sex figure.

I use them anyway. It's not like the gender affects the gameplay, unless it's a Pokemon that only evolves if it's a certain gender. Sometimes I actually like having a Pokemon that's the opposite gender of what you would expect because I like to imagine how other trainers would react to it (I've used a female Machamp before :-D). One of my favorites is female Mr. Mime.

I must be the only person on the internet that doesn't see Gardevoir as overly feminine. I mean its more feminine than masculine for sure, but its not inconceivable imo that it's Male.

The ones that get me are

Male Misdreavus and Mismagius
Female Machop Machoke, Machamp
Female Mr Mime

etc

And no I will not use them.

I never even look at the gender honestly, besides Combee.

Even my nicknames aren't gender dependent, though some may find it weird when I name males Mrs.Fluffykins.

I tend to prefer using female Pokemon in general, but not for masculine looking Pokemon. Same for using male feminine Pokemon. Sorry, but I just can't see myself using male Gardevoir, Gothitelle, Delphox, or even Mawile or most Eeveelutions. I have used a female Machop/Machoke once, though, and it wasn't all weird. But a female Conkeldurr, and sometimes even Pokemon like Shiftree seem so off when female. Female Arcanine I find okay, but male Ninetales...not really.

Recently I bred two perfect Igglybuff that both ended up being male. Normally I'd prefer them to be female, but, I think it'd be cooler to just name one after Guildmaster. :3

Honestly, it depends entirely on whether there's a gender-specific evolution (especially if it's a branched evolution where one in gender specific). All of my female Ralts will become Gardevoir (and no, not for that reason; it's entirely based on the design), and all of my male Snorunt will become Glalie (though that one's only because of Pokemon's resident Yuki-onna, Froslass, is female-dependent). As for those without gender-specific evolutions but implied-male English names (Mr. Mime, Slowbro, and Slowking), I nickname them so they have more fitting names (Ms./Mrs. Mime, Slowsis, and Slowqueen) (speaking of Slowqueen, I've actually got that in X right now). Aside from all of that, I ignore gender except for breeding (though I do have Ditto for that) and occasionally nicknames (in X, my Venusaur's female and named Flowergirl, and I've got male Meganium and Swampert named Mega-Man (I know, real original) and Swampman, respectively).

If its something I've been breeding for and I've finally gotten it. It doesn't matter what gender it is. I'm not breeding anymore. But in a regular playthrough I take gender into consideration sometimes.

If it's a Pokemon I strongly associate with one gender on my in-game team, no I never do. Only female Chikorita, Fennekin, Buneary, Glameow, Gothita; etc. Only male Hawlucha, Emboar, Sceptile, Machamp; etc. If it's something I view as gender neutral like Dedenne or Mightyena or something (usually non-humanoid), then it'll just depend on what I feel like at the time. I've used both male and female Arcanine, Raichu, and Pidgeot.

If I'm just training something for funsies (which I rarely ever even do), maybe, but more often no.

Mr. Mime has been mentioned a couple times. However, that male pronoun was a result of American dubbing. Barrierd is a unisex term. Thus I feel that the localization team is sometimes responsible for these feelings of gender rules that I have. Gah.

Never care about gender. Why should I? It doesn't affect gameplay except for attract et al.

I don't mind using male pokemons that have feminine appearances. Though, I'm breeding for a shiny Buneary as of now, and I'm hoping to get a male - tribute to my B2W2 male Lopunny that contributed so much to the team.

Well, if the pokemon is capable of being either gender then there's no reason one gender should be seen as strange.

I mean, I think I'm the only one who sees Glaceon as not being "feminine".

As a general whole, I honestly don't care about gender. My favorite Pokemon is genderless so that just doesn't matter to me. However, I do work exclusively with female Pawniard and Bisharp. I just prefer them female, sort of an anti-Gardevoir sort of thing, I guess.

I have a shiny female Machamp. I joke about how she's so lewd that she goes out topless, but other than that, it doesn't bother me.

The only real time I've been determined to use one gender over the other, was with my Meowstic, because the male and female variants not only look different, but have differing movepools too.

When I was still new to competitive battling, I used a Jolly Espeon just because she was female and I wanted to call her "Amaterasu". However, a Jolly Espeon was stupid. So now, if I'm breeding for a Pokémon to use competitively and have a nickname in mind that isn't gender neutral, I may be annoyed if I get a usable one with a different gender, but I just think of a new name.

I honestly don't really care about my Pokemon's gender unless its needed for evolution or something like that. I do find it funny though when Pokemon have the opposite gender they are expected to have and I like using them since I find it a bit humorous sometimes.

I don't care about gender at all. I do prefer using a team of all female Pokémon, for girl power lolz, but I'll still use males if that's the first thing I come across.

Also, there's a good reason for Gardevoir being male. It and Gallade are based off of Romeo and Juliet, and when Shakespeare first wrote it, all female roles (like Gardevoir and Juliette) were played by men.

And before someone even brings him up, Mr. Mime doesn't have a gender specific name in the original. The Japanese to English translators fucked up and gave it a gender-exclusive name before its 50-50 gender ratio was determined. Although considering its appearance, GameFreak really should've stuck to male only.

I'm not sure I care all that much... now, that is. Up until about two weeks ago, I was convinced that the gender affected the Attack stat (which it hasn't since Gen II)!

Also, there's a good reason for Gardevoir being male. It and Gallade are based off of Romeo and Juliet, and when Shakespeare first wrote it, all female roles (like Gardevoir and Juliette) were played by men.

Gardevoir is actually based on a knight with its nature to defend her trainer even if it costs her life, similar to how a knight protects the king. Pretty ironic considering most people swear the species should be all female based on appearance. Her (again, ironically) Japanese name is Sirknight, literally "Sir Knight", so it's more masculine than most people realize, which pretty much explains why it can be male, too. Gallade is, similarly, based on a knight, as well, but more towards a swordsman or fencer (based on his arms).

I'm not really sure where this Romeo and Juliet theory came from, but its not really what the two are based off of. Nothing really suggests this, and I have a hard time believing it considering the two were introduced in two separate generations.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom