• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Iono - Possible Trans representation?

I'm always happy to see characters play with their gender expression even if they're not strictly trans. I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone argue yet that her outfit is more reminiscent of the pan flag though, considering there's more yellow than white.

Her Pokémon might give more clues about how intentional the colors were.

To add on to this, many are speculating she will reveal a frog pokemon tomorrow and frogs are known for being able to change their gender.

I'm usually pretty oblivious to these sort of subtle symbolisms, but with Iono, it all does seem rather intentional.

Even if it is usually only implied/alluded to and almost never outright stated, I still think it's always nice to have more trans/NB/gender-nonconforming representation among Pokémon characters either way. (Aside from Blanche, Goh also comes to mind as a recent example of that.)

How is Goh gender-nonconforming?

I mean, I remember there was a rumor about Goh being NB (before he appeared), but that was a translation mistake.

I do get the censorship issues, but frankly I'll never get why showing a queer character would be so controversial, they need to censor them.
Speaking from an American POV, there’s historically been a religious element to LGBT+ opposition, though in recent years it appears to have given way to a “think of the children” moral panic. Their apparent argument is that kids shouldn’t be exposed to “degenerate lifestyles.” I’m sure that sounds ridiculous to most people here, because it is.

Speaking from an American POV, there’s historically been a religious element to LGBT+ opposition, though in recent years it appears to have given way to a “think of the children” moral panic. Their apparent argument is that kids shouldn’t be exposed to “degenerate lifestyles.” I’m sure that sounds ridiculous to most people here, because it is.
It also doesn’t help that some bad actors get in said community and end up ruining the reputation of that entire group, which in the minds of different societies justifies their moral panic. Toxic people always tend to ruin something harmless. Of course, there’s also some people who try to clear things up but end up over sharing things that might genuinely be inappropriate by accident. However, this trait isn’t exclusive to the LGBT+ community, and people end up jumping to conclusions about this well-meaning message as secretly malicious brainwashing due to those mistakes.

In the end, confirmation bias has been fueling moral panic because people don’t have the patience to view things on a case-by-case basis, which leads to people assuming the worst possible outcome.

This doesn't entirely rule things out, but you can see she has a bit of a.... fuller chest to keep things kid friendly, underneath her jacket in today's trailers. She could've just gotten surgery to look more feminine during her transition, but I do think it's more likely she's just cis at this point.

Last edited:
So in summary, we’ve got:
  1. Hair and accessories with colours evoking the trans flag
  2. Hair accessories are Magnemite, the earliest gender unknown Pokémon in the national dex
  3. Bokukko speech pattern
  4. Iono’s name across most if not all languages is some sort of pun or reference to questions or mysteries.
  5. Partner Pokémon based on frogs, which are popularly known for how some species can change their sex.
If you had only one of those on its own, it would be nothing. Some, such as the Bokukko speech patterns, wouldn't even lend themselves to an interpretation of trans or gender questioning on their own, they'd only have that in combination with other evidence. If you had two of these items, you're still talking a co-incidence. Three, and now we start to wonder if there's more to this, or if it's just a case of a bunch of tropes coming together in a way that perhaps wasn't intended, or where the creators weren't aware of the implications. Five separate points of symbolism though, which in combination could suggest the character being coded as trans or gender questioning? That's quite a bit of smoke, to the point where I'd say it's likely intentional on someone's part, while still being subtle enough that whoever was responsible for designing the character could have potentially slipped it under their supervisor's radar.

Having said that.... if Iono is trans or gender questioning, will it ever be officially confirmed? Unless it's related to a plot point in the game, that might be unlikely. I feel like if they were going to be blatant about it, it would've been made 100% clear in the videos we've seen over the past couple of days, rather than needing people to be aware of the potential implications of these elements of Iono's design.

and I feel as though making it a plot point would be a bit far-fetched, it just doesn't exactly feel Pokémon? it'll probably be a subtle nod to those in the know, which is great too, I think? Maybe?

This doesn't entirely rule things out, but you can see she has a bit of a.... fuller chest to keep things kid friendly, underneath her jacket in today's trailers. She could've just gotten surgery to look more feminine during her transition, but I do think it's more likely she's just cis at this point.
and also--the Pokémon world is quite technologically advanced as it is, and if surgeries exist as it is nowadays (and they absolutely do), I would assume that a semi-utopia like Pokémon would likely help in that regard, I assume?

and I feel as though making it a plot point would be a bit far-fetched, it just doesn't exactly feel Pokémon? it'll probably be a subtle nod to those in the know, which is great too, I think? Maybe?
As a potential plot point, I think it could be connected quite strongly to the conceptual idea of the treasure hunt. i.e. the journey of self-discovery, and finding something of personal significance and meaning.
and also--the Pokémon world is quite technologically advanced as it is, and if surgeries exist as it is nowadays (and they absolutely do), I would assume that a semi-utopia like Pokémon would likely help in that regard, I assume?
We do have the prior example of the Black Belt turned Beauty in that regard.

Or, you know, she stuffed her shirt to fill it out?? I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure surgery isn't the only possible explanation for that.

Or, you know, she stuffed her shirt to fill it out?? I'm not an expert on the matter, but I'm pretty sure surgery isn't the only possible explanation for that.

Stuffing her shirt probably wouldn't work out well, her movements are way too dynamic in her streams, so they'd probably fall out. Also her shirt underneath the jacket is pretty skintight so it wouldn't look natural if she was just stuffing.

Last edited:
i have to say i cant really follow much else besides the point about her hair coloring, but that alone seems at least to be a pretty deliberate choice. willing to bet ioni herself wont be trans but the idea is probably to signal that trans people are welcome in the pokemon universe or w/e. get to have it both ways

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom