• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think those other two are offline. An online encyclopedia is meant to be updated. That means they'd have to update every page manually. Nah, they lie.

I don't think those other two are offline. An online encyclopedia is meant to be updated. That means they'd have to update every page manually. Nah, they lie.

You know a kinda easy way to figure it out? Find someone who has it. Then shut off the wi-fi/ 3G signal. Then open the app.

^Or someone on here with an iPhone could sacrifice theirs for the good of Bulbapedia, thus proving that they'd put Bulbapedia before themselves! What loyalty!! :-D

Grrr... Stuff like this just makes me angry. I really wish people would consider the consequences of their actions before taking them. Right now, Studio Bebop has about... 1000? people really angry at him right now. He's not exactly a popular guy.

I have an iPod Touch 3G.

I don't have any way to get my money to iTunes though. (no prepaid cards here)

Wow this is quite the issue that arises with apps. At the very least they should have given BP credit for the info. >.>

Which apps are they that we wanna check? I have an iPod Touch. :p

Any word back yet, Archaic?

I agree that this is so (getting closer...) very (1 more time...)EXTREMELY(more like it...) unfair!!!

Maybe you can stop the app maker from continuing this by changing the text on the Bulbapedia Pokémon pages to wingdings or one of those weird text formats. I'm not sure if this will stop him from bootleging our information, but we can give it a try. This d**k has gone too far!

Changing the font to any cryptic fonts is a no-no; it'll send our rep down the drain. We'll just stick to screwing up the templates for now.

At this point, the best solution is to use .htaccess to block all iPhones from accessing Bulbapedia. Yes, this would probably block a few legitimate users accessing it from Safari, but at this point we don't really have any other choice, since more and more of these apps will keep popping up if we don't stop it (and legal threats appear to be ineffective).

Not in its current state it's not. It's currently broken due to a template change on Bulbapedia, which demonstrates that the ap doesn't actually have our data, it's actively pulling it off our servers.

Or to put it another way....it's not just about the data. They're stealing our bandwidth, and they're stealing processor load on our databases. It's like image hotlinking images off the Archives wiki, only a lot worse.
This means that they're actually having a direct impact on our server health, while those using this ap are not viewing the advertisements that allow us to keep the servers up. They're not just profiting off of the work of our staff. They're profiting off the work of the community of people here at Bulbagarden who have volunteered their time to edit pages on Bulbapedia, and they're profiting at the expense of everyone's enjoyment of any part of Bulbagarden, Bulbapedia, or the Japanese Pokemon Wiki (which we host).

I got an idea tell pokemon fans to put fake news on the website
and when they try to steel the ifomation they have fake news.
When they close down put the real news back on.:devil:

I got an idea tell pokemon fans to put fake news on the website
and when they try to steel the ifomation they have fake news.
When they close down put the real news back on.:devil:

If they were stealing news this might work. However, that is not the case.

Wow I thought a lot of people would back off by now. Honestly just let Archaic do his thing. It's his site and he knows what to do. I don't think we need to continue talking about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom