• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Status
Not open for further replies.
This really bugs me. But I wouldn't mind in the least if there was an actual "Bulbapedia App"... especially if it wasn't just info and stats and included the Accessory and Gym and town articles, etc.

Going through this thread, I was thinking that too- would it be possible for Bulbagarden to beat Studio Bebop at their own game and release their own iPhone app? Like "Pocket Bulbapedia" or something similar?

If there's a better app out there, and a free one no less, it'd pretty much shut these creeps down.

Re: IPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free in

I know, this is outrageous, I just mean that doing that would at least acknowledge that the contents of the app was originally from Bulbapedia.

Going through this thread, I was thinking that too- would it be possible for Bulbagarden to beat Studio Bebop at their own game and release their own iPhone app? Like "Pocket Bulbapedia" or something similar?

If there's a better app out there, and a free one no less, it'd pretty much shut these creeps down.

Er, know anyone that makes iPhone apps?

Also, that post wasn't directed at Ryuu, but to get everyone thinking before commenting UR GONNA GET SUD BULBAPEDIER FUX THINGS UP TO FOO U N WER DA BEST U N UR AP SUK TEH COK MUDPIKZ!

Y'know, if Apple would just cooperate with Archaic then Bulbgaraden and Apple could make a profit off this.

But Studio Bebop probably has the stereotype that the forum is run by powerless eleven year-olds.

Y'know, if Apple would just cooperate with Archaic then Bulbgaraden and Apple could make a profit off this.

But Studio Bebop probably has the stereotype that the forum is run by powerless eleven year-olds.

Well, it's not like Apple ISN'T cooperating. Last I heard, Archaic et al are just holding off on notifying Apple for a few more days to see what Bebop does.

And I don't think Apple won't cooperate, especially after the whole Google fiasco (while wholly unrelated). But now they've got everyone watching what they do and don't approve and why.

And I think "PocketBulbapedia" would be a good name. :p

Er, know anyone that makes iPhone apps?

Also, that post wasn't directed at Ryuu, but to get everyone thinking before commenting UR GONNA GET SUD BULBAPEDIER FUX THINGS UP TO FOO U N WER DA BEST U N UR AP SUK TEH COK MUDPIKZ!

It was a hypothetical, really.

Even then, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to find someone to program one, considering many freeware apps are made by hobbyists.

There are a few other Pokedex apps out there, some of which are pretty decent. But only like one or two are free. The others are at LEAST 99 cents.

Re: Apple iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for f

I don't have an iPhone so I cant get this app anyways. Also I don't know how to put this but if you guys started charging fees for Bulbapedia, I would be kinda ticked.

There is my PokéPalm, but that's for PalmPilot. It could be for iPhone is Apple let NSBasic release NSBasic/iPhone.

It seems like their other app, the manga reader, (while I'm sure it would be a sweet app) looks like it does basically the same thing to onemanga that their dex app does to bulbapedia...

Last edited:
Re: IPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for free in

All Apps need to be approved by Apple before they can be put up in the App Store, and they pull Apps of the Store all the time. It's likely that Apple simply wasn't aware that this particular App was violating Bulbapedia's CCL.

But wouldn't Apple have realized that it violates some sort of copyright law, since the application's for profit and that the people who made it are not associated with Nintendo? It'd be pretty hard to miss the fact that copyrighted material was being used.
I just hope that action can be taken with these people, because it certainly is a dick-ish move.

But wouldn't Apple have realized that it violates some sort of copyright law, since the application's for profit and that the people who made it are not associated with Nintendo? It'd be pretty hard to miss the fact that copyrighted material was being used.
I just hope that action can be taken with these people, because it certainly is a dick-ish move.

The problem isn't that they didn't realise the company wasn't related to Nintendo, it could be unrelated and not violate anything, the problem is they didn't realise the exact details of BMG's liscense.

Re: Apple iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license: Developers charge for f

I don't have an iPhone so I cant get this app anyways. Also I don't know how to put this but if you guys started charging fees for Bulbapedia, I would be kinda ticked.

Don't worry, Nido. We're not about to.

Folks, opinions on merging this with the other thread? Good idea, bad idea? Considering we don't really need both...

Re: iTunes Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

I smell a potterwar coming...

Seriously, this guy is asking for trouble. You guys worked hard to get all that data up.

Heh, maybe we should sabotage the data for a short time and make users of the app angry.

Maybe something like... Bulbasaur (Poke(with accent)mon) gets moved to Bulbasaur (Poke(no accent)mon)? Then the info is avaliable but they can have corrupted data...

What really needs to happen is that someone needs to report this to Apple.

Folks, opinions on merging this with the other thread? Good idea, bad idea? Considering we don't really need both...

Sure, go ahead... it'll spice up the debate a bit more (and find ways to deal with the problem faster)

That's just fucked up...I can't believe their continuing to sell that App too. Ignorant idiots.

Re: iTunes Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Maybe something like... Bulbasaur (Poke(with accent)mon) gets moved to Bulbasaur (Poke(no accent)mon)? Then the info is avaliable but they can have corrupted data...

Well, that's a bad idea, since I think that either the MoS or Project Pokédex say that all Pokémon articles have to be put at <name> (Pokémon)...

In any case, the admins have already done something to the infobox template to screw up the app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom