• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Status
Not open for further replies.
What they recently modified it to do is parse wikicode. Thus, they were drawing from our Pokémon infobox (which AHEM I designed the current iteration of, that they're using directly) by checking the parameters, rather than before where they were drawing from the HTML, which broke when we moved stuff around.

So, we decided to change all the parameters. :D

I don't see why you'd even think of doing something like this without giving proper credit to Bulbagarden.

Bebop Studio sound like idiots.

Well, the website credits us, but that's still not enough. They still charge.

...only sort of. In the small print. And even if they flagrantly credit us, they're still stealing our information and our bandwidth for their profit.

I know. I'm just pointing out what I discovered while looking for this thing. I posted a response on the review page, which is linked from the main article on Studio Bepop's website, in which I warned potential buyers to not do so as the app wouldn't work properly.

I posted a response on the review page, which is linked from the main article on Studio Bepop's website, in which I warned potential buyers to not do so as the app wouldn't work properly.
Good for you. (hopefully that won't tip off these Studio Bebop fellows to work around our workaround, though. XP)

If they do we can change the parameters again. Now that we've done it once, it's gonna be easier next time.

I chose the $ for a reason: it's not used on any content pages (that's {{pdollar}}; $ is reserved for MediaWiki stuff that runs the interface). If it comes to changing the parameters again, we could easily substitute ^ or @ or some other character... especially since, by the time they fix it, it'll be the weekend, and Zhen would be able to have BulbaBot fix it (and then show me how to put it on autopilot).

Good for you. (hopefully that won't tip off these Studio Bebop fellows to work around our workaround, though. XP)

They'd find out sooner or later. And as TTEchidna pointed out, we will always be able to outmaneuver them because their product is dependent on us.

That's a first in the community; the case did peek my interest.
Your response was quick and completely justified legally, whilst his attitude puts a shame on developers.
Changing the templates is just a workaround I am afraid. Unless he gets tired of keeping the app up to date, it seems like a short term measure.

Perhaps the best solution to this case turns out to be Apple itself. I run a quick search and these look like they could be of help:

http://appreview.tumblr.com/post/148433926/unfiltered-internet-access-must-be-rated-17

http://www.edibleapple.com/apple-finally-bans-dumbass-and-shady-developer-from-the-iphone-app-store-for-copyright-infringement/ said:
Pursuant to Section 3.2(d) of the iDP Agreement, you agreed that “to the best of Your knowledge and belief, Your Application and Licensed Application Information do not and will not violate, misappropriate, or infringe any Apple or third party copyrights, trademarks, rights of privacy and publicity, trade secrets, patents, or other proprietary or legal rights (e.g. musical composition or performance rights, video rights, photography or image rights, logo rights, third party data rights, etc. for content and materials that may be included in Your Application).”

This last one seems to be similar in the details, his apps were also content aggregations, displaying the latest comics of x series.

I hope this is all resolved soon and without hassle.

Changing the templates is just a workaround I am afraid. Unless he gets tired of keeping the app up to date, it seems like a short term measure.

The guys has two choices really. Either he doesn't keep updating and people get mad that it isn't up to date, or he gets rid of it. A lose-lose situation.

Fags.

Sorry, that's all I can say.

Edit: Wait, did they just steal the infobox, or the whole thing?

Does it matter?

But to answer your question, the information they take is...

a picture of the creature, as well as their type, species, ability, exp. at 100, EV yield, egg groups and egg cycles, as well as their evolved forms. The tabs at the bottom allow users to view the Pokémon’s base stats, their strengths and weaknesses against other Pokémon types, and the various moves they can learn as they gain experience.

In short, almost everything.

Oh man, he should have asked Archaic before doing this.

... Has anyone even actually bothered contacting Apple about this or is everyone just content to sit here and bitch about it?

I think its the latter since all of Bulbagarden staff is the "OMG I AM VERY PEACEFUL AND SAINTLIKE" type. Maybe except Mag and TTE.

... Has anyone even actually bothered contacting Apple about this or is everyone just content to sit here and bitch about it?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea for just anyone to be contacting Apple.

If people are going to complain about how Studio Bebop are "fags" and that "we gave the a fucking chance so fuck them" or simply just spam them...

I'd say it's probably best if we leave this to Archaic and the staff until said otherwise.

I know everyone's heart is in the right place, but we aren't the most mature bunch =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom