• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

iPhone Application infringes on Bulbapedia license

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two of them?

Did we do something to the Universe that has made it want to hate us?

Would blocking access to Bulbapedia from those iPhone apps also block legit access to Bulbapedia through the Safari browsers?

well you could play hard ball and block all iphone stuff so they know we mean business?

Man, does this mean we need to protect all the moves and berries too?

It seems the news is spreading that displaying information from bulbapedia is easy money it seems.

Okay, there will only get more, so we need either our own free app, or blocking all I-phone stuff altogether.

Man, does this mean we need to protect all the moves and berries too?

Won't have a effect, as both Pokedex Evolved and Pokepedia Evolved state that they are 100% offline - that is, the Bulbapedia pages come with the application (thus we can not break them by changing the pages' infobox structure or anything).

Well, techinically...
The second app
The data IS available to everyone. right?
They took the data. but.. It just lists as the stuff from the pokemon games.
It is just the same as on all the other sites. Just data.
And it is offline.
They can't be blamed in court or something like that for taking pure data, and using it in a offline app.
Because we didn't make the pokemon games. Perhaps some data from bulbapedia is from other sites to. That's the charm of internet. Share data for the good of everyone.

Well, it IS bad of course, and they shouldn't charge.
But do we have a copyright on the data on Bulbapedia if it is just listing literal data from the games? The orginal written text is of course, copyrighted, but is the stuff like base stats, evolutions, etc, to? If they didn't cite the source, we couldn't even know that they took it from us, right?
The thing that differs from the first one, is that the first one without permission keeps ripping the data directly. This one just took once, just pure data right?
I am not talking this right, but I was thinking about it...

Can I be the lawyer?

:ksmile:Me: Lawyer CuboneKing will save the day!
:saiyan:Trom: We're doomed.
:eh:MAGNEDETH: WHO HIRED THIS GUY?!
:ching:Archaic: AT LEAST I SAVE MONEY!!!!

:nono: AbbyNormal: OBJECTION!

Why the rest don't, I don't know. But it can't be taking away from their sales much, if they aren't protesting against them. I might read Tsubasa and xxxHolic off there, but Del Ray's pockets are still being lined with my money, since One Manga's the reason I'm buying the volumes one by one. It's a double-edged sword, naturally. Curbing off what you say though, an app for your phone is as portable as a manga volume without paying the full price, thus taking away heavily from revenue, never mind the copyright?

See? There is a case.

It can probably be argued that sites like that benefit manga publishers by gauging interest for a particular series.

Rozen Maiden, Gintama, Soul Eater, and Kuroshitsuji (manga right now, but I figure Funi or Bandai will announce the anime license any day now) all got licensed due to fansubs and scanslations.

(offtopic reply is offtopic)

I would say file a lawsuit to te mmaker of the app.I wanted to get an Iphone,But after this happened,I wouln`t.

Well, techinically...
The second app
The data IS available to everyone. right?
They took the data. but.. It just lists as the stuff from the pokemon games.
It is just the same as on all the other sites. Just data.
And it is offline.
They can't be blamed in court or something like that for taking pure data, and using it in a offline app.
Because we didn't make the pokemon games. Perhaps some data from bulbapedia is from other sites to. That's the charm of internet. Share data for the good of everyone.

They admit that all of the data comes from Bulbapedia. Therefore, per the text of the CC license, they must provide the app for free and license it under the CC license as well.

No replies, from either app creator.

Also, I'd have to wonder if the 2nd set of apps is really offline. The Bulbapedia database is huge. Replicating even a fraction of that should take a lot of HDD space, and the iPhone doesn't have a lot of space compared to the iPod's.

So this is why Bulbapedia is running slow lately and/or freezing the moment I open a Pokemon's data page? Dang, those app creators are total a-holes.

Come to think of it, they are kind of messing with Nintendo by selling this information and images without their consent, aren't they? Those app makers really need to learn a lesson.

Someone mentioned creating a free Bulbapedia app by Bulbapedia, right? Sounds like a good idea if you can solve the bandwidth problem. People might be more inclined to get something free that works, after all. Which may or may not help decrease the number of people buying the other apps.

Anyways, good luck with all this, I hope that the apps can get their butts kicked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom