• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Iris' Emolga

Iris's Emolga: Will she mature or stay a brat?

• Eventually, she'll learn to grow up

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • She'll stay a lazy little nuisance

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Only time will tell

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Not a big concern for me

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

TPrower

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
I know I may sound obsessed with Emolga, but I can't help myself. Say what you will, that it's just another Pika-clone, that it's just a Pachirisu that can fly, but I like it. Now, with that said, I have a few things to say about Iris'.

Sure, she's a gluttonous, lazy little squirrel, but that's part of the point. I often get a big sense of (if you'll pardon the pun), Anticipation at how Emolga will turn out when she makes an appearance. We've seen her use Volt Switch to opt out of battles and pull on cute faces to avoid being scolded, but will that always be the case?

To bring up a couple recent cases, in the new movies starring Victini, we see Emolga battle an Emboar, use Volt Switch to escape the battle, and try to use a cute face to make Iris forgive her. From Excadrill's active entrance, it seems this is after he's trusted Iris again. But in the battle against Sawk, we see her willingly keep up the battle even while her Attract is being blocked and she's getting pummeled. Yes, people are saying that in that case, there should have been an episode to show why Emolga is so willing, and I agree, but it's nothing to obsessively rant about.

I know it's too early to tell, but does anyone think there's any hope of Emolga actually maturing past her bratty little self, or will she remain a hindrance to Iris?

Emolga battles when she wants to. It makes sense that she didn't give half a stuff when soon after it was caught, Emolga had to battle a few times, in some not so important battles, but then after a while it battles seriously in a somewhat important battle.

Maybe she somehow matured and accepts battling to an extent now, but I hope that isn't the case as it would've appeared out of nowhere, though since I don't really enjoy Emolga's disobedient story line, I don't care all that much. Though, she could mature a bit more and stop pulling cute faces later on.

With Sawk, Iris specifically told Emolga that she can't switch out when she uses Volt Switch. I'm guessing that Emolga mainly does it for the lulz, but in the Don battle tournament, she knew that doing it would really piss off Iris. Kind of how a running gag is used when it's supposed to be funny, but it's not used in serious situations, because it would kill the mood.

As she journeys with Iris more, I expect to see Iris learning to be able to see through the cute faces (possibly with the help of Snivy), which will mean Emolga will have to find new ways to be mischievous. I'd rather the writers think of new ways for Emolga to get her lulz, rather than make her all mindless and serious.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom