• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

IRL Evolution Stones

elementcollector1

Reaction score
Decided a long time ago to see if any of the Evolution Stones were based on real-world minerals. Turns out, every single one of them is! Not really sure who's responsible (though I personally suspect Masuda, since he's the one that travels all over the place and gets 'inspiration' for the new games from it), but here's what I got for each of them:

Fire Stone = Oregon Sunstone

"It has a fiery orange heart."

Yeah, yeah, the Fire Stone is IRL a sunstone (and the Sun Stone isn't). Seriously, though, it matches - and not only that, there's a historical reason this one got picked. In 1987, a few years before Red and Blue began development in 1992, the Oregon Sunstone was designated the official state gemstone of Oregon after its discovery in 1980 - and its unique optical properties (the red bit in the center) made pretty much every gem hunter and mineralogist in the world take notice. While sprite artwork of the Fire Stone wasn't released until Ruby and Sapphire in 2001, the design was already relatively close to its final look as of 1998 (EP040, 'The Battling Eevee Brothers').
1679790035970.png
1679788809908.png
1679788858620.png
jt2bijFSIOBKnW8k2znpkCGc13CDb9dlpB3iO21aLpNYcBi01gMc5wcPClGBQpG-QhKeZ0v-2Dd6a2J5JJBPG1oluy8HSDzGtORv5IrmYAthbF3wBKhF9RsdwRIMrlPOBjaKyStc9IvJgntwhqBAgg
1679788944600.png

Water Stone = Iolite (aka Cordierite)

"It is the clear blue of a deep pool."

Known as 'water sapphire' for its deep blue-to-purple color, iolite has the unusual property of trichroism - depending on the viewing angle of an individual stone, it can display up to three different colors, changing when rotated. The first and most well-known is of course the deep purple-blue, while the second is mostly clear with a tinge of yellow - but the third is the clear with a slight tint of blue of a pool of deep water, much as in the description for the stone.

1679789133139.png
lNDdvp_5y-G7Z9MPL6Q6fMSXLLLZoX04WzDcM4ut3atXu_gZG46YxbPDYFPOI2CCXl0S08Rn4JeMan90UjwcDXuxoQAfV2oJoghNlXrnWGvZgw667Qz9FGvJrsPJnlV_lrjFoOr_qvfJeFhm-14qYQk
5_rgFu9HA9AU_rwCWkawCr4aVaDU1Zd1MZvxExd7BO1WG1wM9w-nsY-yhCGMZPRKkiwukpbSB8uC6hTum8ohXgiUL-JsvDbtaNhPPc9ZNioPRUSMSTzeG8dkhw9H_LtI97Qozoe-zvlVyMVJT-03grY
1679789180715.png

Leaf Stone = Leaf fossil

I get the strangest feeling that this one is self-explanatory... Regardless, the green color isn't too unusual - rocks containing small amounts of chlorine or iron can do that. Incidentally, there's a formation in Colorado known as the Green River formation that frequently has greenish-colored plant fossils.

1679789235026.png
1679789266968.png
1679789285481.png
vdAnUs2qhLQ9hJVCYncVNC-PVzxDGWhsBul3FvExz__Q1DakfB7NcOVb8YLQ8bDyUZ0Oy9dHMnlbi1KQ4vHlD3Dg6lSqyt1PmljXwn6xrE29Q1z9MPYULNMYf-gde-mMKviMKv74Ca79rztCGUKXmQ

Thunder Stone = Cat's-eye elbaite tourmaline

"It has a distinct thunderbolt pattern."

This one is actually well-known to Japanese audiences, as tourmaline is frequently associated with electricity and is known as 'the lightning stone' (deriving from its name in Japanese, 電気石, which can also read as 'lightning jewel'). Chargestone Cave in Unova uses the same pun. The cat's-eye effect is the result of hollow tubes within the gem that reflect a band of light across the surface - in more translucent stones, this ends up looking like a yellowish thunderbolt (though usually a more natural-looking one than the cartoonish bolt in the official artwork).

1679789587234.png
Uhrc13VqUu73-U_HMMnSgshMQCeBzLqZV71jZaureqBKyhptZyewdklM8IBxvdRqylAkVvuCEvYLeaaa6CmDZqLDNixTeKtcCntYt_1zvORllrvYFkpO6euuiGeGZMkmO80wfOFbWQ3sYiEprDcvYw
dxGp6ssZ6DJy8RD2v_LHGo2kTHPcUQzKMcQphWENtxpPw4J4ONHVzFMICK0Hb0n9DWFIUUhhNVJaR969ks8OCFbeLHhC_z59LDLNng9OsvrueV6ZbmOA-ijEdFHnYPNLEO5WiGx92JKAVIuOPUBGzw
1679789615772.png

Sun Stone = Aragonite nodule

"It burns as red as the evening sun."

These are surprisingly popular at rock and gem shops and shows, since they look so weird. The crystal shape comes from the individual hexagonal columns of aragonite twinning hundreds of times during formation, eventually ending up as a 'ball' of crystals.

1679789717318.png
v1LWePY7Nw8ys-HwtBlzhawM2v8Vd0xguiOTwsi_6O8-i2dqmeKhuRGeVl2bYIrgokdHasHn87BKS03rp__p4Qg65h8SnAQf5HY6PVnvlb5Rx-uO25y4gN8Kw1sjMmLhoFnz6nTXMCEwEwpJpV_Daw

Moon Stone = Nickel-iron meteorite

"It is dark like the night sky."

This one's probably the most obvious of the Gen I assignments, since it's openly confirmed in descriptions about Mt. Moon across various games. The shallow imprints across the surface are called regmaglypts, and are a characteristic of metallic meteorites - on the way down through the atmosphere, the blasting effect of all that air resistance affects different parts of the surface at different rates, resulting in the indentation-like features.

1679789844753.png
BQ7KBCNnIQigzE0LMJNVVzRQ33x0uIBJcJfs52H-aKiN0YEnKCBGfhdU8VG9jegQAOiODDwO8NeRqfZ-i6CZnUBPAxSzQw-pxxY3wHEGuxYQCJ4Lc3eAUO-LmM0nmQwPG4CQbNFG4vN_qfb4XDH0Xw
A4lhrWjS_4IwlkxnP8U_JpcUwfI4H70kcI0BWAowFvnZyiTJ279oLa0PnF1_SCLL81JXRllKoXXuojr9nOHud6Ck7I5BRSjSjmpByq1KwEdDKVmThzjlo7MhEjU9Ft5R-aQjIwaT0_4JlFKxLpT2Ew

Last edited:
Dawn Stone = Peruvian Opal

"It sparkles like a glittering eye."

The item description is once again what gives this one away - opals are the only gemstone historically associated with eyes, and the special aqua-blue boulder opals found in Peru were designated their national gemstone sometime between June 2006 and January 2007 (can't get a more specific date since I can't find the announcement, so I'm going off page edits about the stone in the Wayback Machine). This lines up with the release date of Diamond and Pearl (the Dawn Stone's debut games) in September 2006. The Legends: Arceus artwork also gives the stone a rose cut (many small triangles on the top), which Peruvian opal seems to prominently be cut in judging from the stones I've bought (although I couldn't exactly tell you why...)

1679790224866.png
CX_H3cPlWUGbcKlotvCOtiZKGp4NnpjReqCBzsPXd0VbOTNaj0M0g7x6i14gVR28YFNcEzTwRyjTsSszIo9eWTiB5IIlMfbnVwtX0zEwkQjsc9UwRAbCVJby3svmJPCCB79XMgIMn-uyOop0ZTlTHnA
B-CgXLp_XQHL8AURIkqjtvYLu-xdbybfioOKOlyeCqrp72IuINgKK9-dobps3DHS8wAZIgmQv2cfJO9m1rcXHYpPBVI7FQQWLNyblN9tJiT1YyeYMMn6BAFQ3eBPZ_fEFizzg0J05vaeJ2UOpfTAekM
pWl5k4lot73tPhJEHo7QToHBniZssN6HONAJIKSfElpA7KuGGO6renvqy_gHwXB4J097ZdtISZVWejIRZ1mFumqrohng1tlx4uf9_8JcF-6CrfdG0UDZBuPPvlXyrlL2adXaUOBzB-GHZwsWEQTaWFo

Dusk Stone = Amethyst

"It holds dark shadows within it."

There aren't a whole lot of gemstones associated with 'darkness' in the literal sense, but the Dark type isn't always about literal darkness - its name in Japanese, Aku, relates more to 'evil' than 'darkness.' This is what makes amethyst a good fit, as it was associated by the Greeks and Romans with containing darkness - preventing intoxication from excessive drinking (hence the name - the negation prefix a- + 'intoxication' methystos, thus αμέθυστος). It could also ward off witches and dark magic, prevent other poisons, and control evil thoughts. Kind of makes me think that all those 'contained' darknesses get unleashed upon the Pokemon upon evolution, which makes them 'more evil'? Hard to say.

1679790487846.png
ZfaZSC3cBRdVAKiQWEPbLSwxbMCPUeEslNQyRVzMx7OcbHXRcCQyBpHjZlsGFfBLA0kqThUFpivddYyzVKlO3jL_wA5dwSCRiDHSJ9_y5WlTAbDDpahBguHLLWxozEjIzWk-lclPFyKnRVvKcrxkTm8
oGlBcBGlF94f1ege0y54-A48d0eo9KfzA3vmCZLR40defj4wHNkbqJ3y7EeHlAJOgl-7ntk80Stlt8kPSGS4xD76XlShAqlm5rF2rkN8lZKErQDaCNWrrJKZjxYPZehXLBxVszHa8AJM40vL5l0X67g
aEC7rZvGa4HdNmSwnPFzlfCmDoUNH9JtS6L1uQSTe4cMiGbB8nlEh6m7QPJ-OsY3uOZQQRG9hEwtR430MRByYKGVrMWh7dHolpAURDF2Po-DfyfybAYkLg0Q9nZTPAmyY6D1XfIWA1ORCFK_cAyGHOw

Shiny Stone = Cleiophane

"It shines with a dazzling light."

This one is yet another historical reference, although it's a bit more recent than last time. In 2001, Pokemon opened the Pokemon Store in New York City, establishing a permanent Pokemon presence in New York and likely exposing many of the employees there to New York culture. This would lead Junichi Masuda to visit the area in 2006 for the celebratory launch of Diamond and Pearl and answer questions there. One of New York's most famous gemstones is sphalerite from its local zinc mines, and the variety of sphalerite that is a clear white to yellow-green is called 'cleiophane' (this variety having been discovered a stone's throw away in Franklin, New Jersey). Thus, it once again fits well for the release of Diamond and Pearl in 2006. In addition, the specific chemical composition of sphalerite (zinc sulfide, ZnS) was also used for the first phosphorescent greenish-yellow pigments - remember those glow in the dark plastic stars you might've seen or had as a kid? There's a decent chance those were made using zinc sulfide from New York! Also, sphalerite is one of the most refractive (light-bending) stones known, ranking 12th overall on the International Gem Society's list (diamond ranks at 9th, just a few places ahead). This also fits with the theme of the stone giving off a dazzling light - both as phosphorescence, and as refraction.

1679790858941.png
L0GfqObKvVxHuJFdoPeb4-l29Zdk7OidYtWX6Ff2EngtRUQhSLdqRrlFPuWwP8XomUGEm2HbQCms8-Qjko24DVWjtrDstoysFDP6yHXGIx5H0sQz4ExgwRUBX0TRCH8HJbKmSJeKSkXKaev1QSljkfc
h2PKZ-DbHSbvD-gweuxXMPj2HMy2caFb_SCRKtMqxohpJRhaos3YUJ_f_dDLbggYHWQmaXrSlRzN4MVjdinSq6T4jHyUa_Z4kugJabkI4YyGQCxdOt8D_AN1Ts-7NUAUWVPp1B0qFGGxyNwTh617ytI

Ice Stone = Larimar

"It has a snowflake pattern in it."

A bit new to the gem scene, larimar was recently popularized in more tropical locations like Hawai'i, Florida and its home in the Dominican Republic. The 'snowflake' pattern is actually grain boundaries on individual macrocrystals of pectolite, colored sea-blue by copper inclusions (but white at the boundaries due to some complex ion-diffusion mechanics I won't explain here). The whiter variants are referred to locally as 'ice larimar'.

1679791053067.png
1679791086882.png
1679791142090.png

These are very interesting findings. I knew that the Pokémon universe has excessively lots of inspirations from the real world; locations, myths, culture, habits and people. But it makes things one step clearer that even such little things as stones and items are still inspired by the real world items and not a consequence of a random imaginable thought.

These are very interesting findings. I knew that the Pokémon universe has excessively lots of inspirations from the real world; locations, myths, culture, habits and people. But it makes things one step clearer that even such little things as stones and items are still inspired by the real world items and not a consequence of a random imaginable thought.
The funny thing is, pretty much every item seems to be based on something IRL. Tumblestones are other tourmalines, Apricorns are a hybrid between a chestnut and an acorn, Herba Mystica is schisandra chinensis... I could fill several thread pages with all the IRL inspirations for each item. Even stuff like the Adamant, Lustrous and Griseous Orbs are based on IRL minerals (dumortierite quartz, precious opal and chalcopyrite respectively).

I genuinely think that Pokemon development over the years was never about meta-gameplay or battling, not really - it was always about the culture, the history, the story to be told. All these miniscule references and inspirations give nothing to the metagame - but they do make the world just a little more interesting to those willing to look for them.

Incredible work! I never would have suspected these items were based on anything at all. I adore how much the Pokemon world's geography reflects our own, so this gives me even more to chew on.

You know this makes me wonder: is it possible that in-universe, these stones are versions of those real world minerals naturally infused with the same evolutionary infinity energy as the mega stones, with the latter just being super-refined versions of the former the way we get metamorphic rocks from minerals?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom