• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.

Is anyone choosing a non-starter starter?

Eon Duo Lover!
Reaction score
You don't have to choose the starter, it's just recommended to.
In ORAS, I may not choose one of the "traditional" starters and start with a different Mon. Will you start with the traditional or choose someone else? If so, who will you choose?

I might start with a Vulpix or maybe a Shinx, probably because I like those lines and it would be fun to play a game that deviates from the formula.

Reaction score
I'd have considered it if it wasn't for the Mega Evolutions. But Mega Swampert is just too much fun.

Slightly Insane Chemist
Reaction score
Part of me really wants to choose torchic in OR because that is what I used in my original Ruby playthough, and I loved it. Blaziken is still tied for my all time favorite pokemon (with heracross). Alas, I already have blazikenite in Y and I have a speed boost, 6IV, shiny blaziken, so I don't see the point. So, instead, I am going to choose treecko, and try to breed another speed boost, 6IV torchic and move it along with my shiny heracross to OR with pokemon bank. I plan to use essentially all three of them as "starters", using them all the way through the elite four. In AS I plan to use mudkip just because I've never (and I do mean never) really trained a mudkip before for anything other than the pokedex.

Nah, not possible.
Reaction score
I'm contemplating the absurd and using my level 10 Poke Bank Celebi along with my starter... but there's the problem of its boosted growth and disobedience...

"we are related, cute weasel"
Reaction score
My first run I will use a Hoenn starter (Mudkip) on my 2nd and 3rd runs going to not use any Hoenn starters.
2nd run Mienfoo will probably be my unofficial starter, although I will have one non Hoenn starter
3rd run not sure, 2 team members are non Hoenn starters

Reaction score
Sometimes I think I would, but then I realize it's a lot effort for low returns.

Barrel!
Reaction score
On my second or third play-through I might pull something out of Pokebank as a different starter like Mareep but that will only be if I'm REALLY bored.

I gotta focus. I'm shifting into pokemon mode.
Reaction score
In all my years playing pokemon I never really thought about this. I've currently been racking my brain wondering if I should choose Treecko or Mudkip, my original Ruby and Sapphire choices respectively...but maybe I should spice it up a little so I'll have room for a Walrein or a Tropius later on.

If I do decide to use a non-starter I'll probably breed a Sableye, Houndour, Murkrow, or a Larvitar and send it over. I'm most likely still over thinking the "secret base gym" thing and what it entails, but I need a signature pokemon for it so I might as well.

Just call me EC!
Reaction score
I'm honestly thinking of doing a Zigzagoon/Linoone only run after a few other playthroughs. I need to finally beat a Nuzlocke first though.

Absent Silhouette
Reaction score
As soon as I get Poke Balls, I'll box my starter and continue with the Route Pokemon I've captured. I did this with Diamond, both black & white, Black 2, X and it was very interesting.

I was training 10 to almost 15 Pokemon at a time, rotating my team now and then. It was a very tiring yet fun experience. This is better to do with Black/White 2 with Pokemon Breeder rematches + Lucky Egg.

Last edited:
The Fluffy
Reaction score
The Hoenn starters are just too good. :/ Sceptile is my favourite starter and Swampert isn't far behind either. Blaziken's good and I used to really like him, but a bit OP. The only regions I'd consider doing that would be Kanto or Johto, where I actually dislike most of the starters.

#1 Wooloo Fan
Reaction score
I'm sticking with the original Hoenn starters for the nostalgia reasons. Plus I need a Mudkip/Treecko anyway. I got Torchic from when it was available for X/Y.

Level 7
Reaction score
I already have a shiny level 5 Weedle set aside for this very purpose.

Take me away from here...
Reaction score
If I buy the game, yes. Mawile will be my non-starter starter. I am not a big fan of the Hoenn starters.

Reaction score
I might breed a HA Vulpix since my Ninetales is gen 5 and GameFreak hates pre gen 6

Step into my crib everything smell like Cool Water
Reaction score
I will be using Torchic, but i'll also use a shiny Dratini during my playthrough.

Glorious Goo
Reaction score
I'll probably be using either Treecko or Mudkip since their megas are hard to pass up but I will probably be running Lucario along side them especially if I pick Treecko thanks to Wattson.

Prince of Leonster
Reaction score
I did something like that in Black with an Aerodyctal (why? I don't know. Please don't ask), and a Volt Tackle + Light Ball Pikachu (ridiculous, I know...) in Soul Silver.

I WAS considering using the Celebi, but then I remembered Treecko is a thing... If I did it here, the most likely possibility would be the event Diancie, but that's Level 15...

NCIS Special Agent
Reaction score
I didn't even know this was an option. Did I miss something?

We are but men
Reaction score
I didn't even know this was an option. Did I miss something?
It's always been an 'option'
Get your starter from the prof, catch/transfer the Pokémon you actually want to use as a starter, then box the starter you got from the prof.