• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is anyone choosing a non-starter starter?

PenguinPaladin

Eon Duo Lover!
Reaction score
You don't have to choose the starter, it's just recommended to.
In ORAS, I may not choose one of the "traditional" starters and start with a different Mon. Will you start with the traditional or choose someone else? If so, who will you choose?

I might start with a Vulpix or maybe a Shinx, probably because I like those lines and it would be fun to play a game that deviates from the formula.

I'd have considered it if it wasn't for the Mega Evolutions. But Mega Swampert is just too much fun.

Part of me really wants to choose torchic in OR because that is what I used in my original Ruby playthough, and I loved it. Blaziken is still tied for my all time favorite pokemon (with heracross). Alas, I already have blazikenite in Y and I have a speed boost, 6IV, shiny blaziken, so I don't see the point. So, instead, I am going to choose treecko, and try to breed another speed boost, 6IV torchic and move it along with my shiny heracross to OR with pokemon bank. I plan to use essentially all three of them as "starters", using them all the way through the elite four. In AS I plan to use mudkip just because I've never (and I do mean never) really trained a mudkip before for anything other than the pokedex.

I'm contemplating the absurd and using my level 10 Poke Bank Celebi along with my starter... but there's the problem of its boosted growth and disobedience...

My first run I will use a Hoenn starter (Mudkip) on my 2nd and 3rd runs going to not use any Hoenn starters.
2nd run Mienfoo will probably be my unofficial starter, although I will have one non Hoenn starter
3rd run not sure, 2 team members are non Hoenn starters

On my second or third play-through I might pull something out of Pokebank as a different starter like Mareep but that will only be if I'm REALLY bored.

In all my years playing pokemon I never really thought about this. I've currently been racking my brain wondering if I should choose Treecko or Mudkip, my original Ruby and Sapphire choices respectively...but maybe I should spice it up a little so I'll have room for a Walrein or a Tropius later on.

If I do decide to use a non-starter I'll probably breed a Sableye, Houndour, Murkrow, or a Larvitar and send it over. I'm most likely still over thinking the "secret base gym" thing and what it entails, but I need a signature pokemon for it so I might as well.

I'm honestly thinking of doing a Zigzagoon/Linoone only run after a few other playthroughs. I need to finally beat a Nuzlocke first though.

As soon as I get Poke Balls, I'll box my starter and continue with the Route Pokemon I've captured. I did this with Diamond, both black & white, Black 2, X and it was very interesting.

I was training 10 to almost 15 Pokemon at a time, rotating my team now and then. It was a very tiring yet fun experience. This is better to do with Black/White 2 with Pokemon Breeder rematches + Lucky Egg.

Last edited:
The Hoenn starters are just too good. :/ Sceptile is my favourite starter and Swampert isn't far behind either. Blaziken's good and I used to really like him, but a bit OP. The only regions I'd consider doing that would be Kanto or Johto, where I actually dislike most of the starters.

I'm sticking with the original Hoenn starters for the nostalgia reasons. Plus I need a Mudkip/Treecko anyway. I got Torchic from when it was available for X/Y.

If I buy the game, yes. Mawile will be my non-starter starter. I am not a big fan of the Hoenn starters.

I will be using Torchic, but i'll also use a shiny Dratini during my playthrough.

I'll probably be using either Treecko or Mudkip since their megas are hard to pass up but I will probably be running Lucario along side them especially if I pick Treecko thanks to Wattson.

I did something like that in Black with an Aerodyctal (why? I don't know. Please don't ask), and a Volt Tackle + Light Ball Pikachu (ridiculous, I know...) in Soul Silver.

I WAS considering using the Celebi, but then I remembered Treecko is a thing... If I did it here, the most likely possibility would be the event Diancie, but that's Level 15...

I didn't even know this was an option. Did I miss something?

I didn't even know this was an option. Did I miss something?

It's always been an 'option'
Get your starter from the prof, catch/transfer the Pokémon you actually want to use as a starter, then box the starter you got from the prof.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom