• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Arbok not a popular Pokémon?

Alright. Practically every topic I've seen from you comes from either incredibly specific topics and/or your obsession with quote-on-quote 'popularity'. But for once. I'm answering here just cuz I feel like it at this moment.

The main issue with Arbok is that... it has no staying power or moments of spotlight, nor any reprisal of attention via regional forms or the like. Its only notable position in the spotlight is being Jessie's original partner in the anime.

Lemme put it this way. If it weren't for Smash Bros., Jigglypuff would've honestly faded to obscurity since it had only so much presence as a recurring Pokemon in the anime. It actually only barely survived getting dropped from the cast twice during development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the 3DS/Wii U installments respectively due to grandfather clause alone.

AExeggutor, Marowak, and Muk are examples of Pokemon that I could think of that owe renewed reputation to their regional formes; especially Exeggutor in the meme department and Muk for its viability in competitive play. Hell, even its fellow Team Rocket compatriot, Weezing, nabbed a memorable Fairy-type form over at Galar; and that too gave it new life with the fanbase.

...and Arbok's just sitting there at the corner. No Megas, no Gigantamax forms, no other role in the franchise, nothing.

The main issue with Arbok is that... it has no staying power or moments of spotlight, nor any reprisal of attention via regional forms or the like. Its only notable position in the spotlight is being Jessie's original partner in the anime.

Lemme put it this way. If it weren't for Smash Bros., Jigglypuff would've honestly faded to obscurity since it had only so much presence as a recurring Pokemon in the anime. It actually only barely survived getting dropped from the cast twice during development of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and the 3DS/Wii U installments respectively due to grandfather clause alone.

Alolan Exeggutor, Marowak, and Muk are examples of Pokemon that I could think of that owe renewed reputation to their regional formes; especially Exeggutor in the meme department and Muk for its viability in competitive play. Heck, even its fellow Team Rocket compatriot, Weezing, nabbed a memorable Fairy-type form over at Galar; and that too gave it new life with the fanbase.

...and Arbok's just sitting there at the corner. No Megas, no Gigantamax forms, no other role in the franchise, nothing.
Oops, sorry about that. :oops:

Last edited:
Isn't Arbok usually associated with TR anyways? Pokemon belonging to villains are rarely popular unless they've got a gimmick or quirk like Meowth for example (since it can talk in the cartoon).
No, both Arbok and Weezing are not usually associated with Team Rocket anyways in the anime. That's all.

Last edited:
Arbok isn't nearly as popular as other gen 1 Poison Types. I think its partially to do with it being a Snake and a Poison type on top of it, which plays into many peoples fears. The only thing it had going for it was that it was owned by Team Rocket with Jessie owning one. Imo, Arbok was one of the less inspiring Pokemon in gen 1 and it didn't help either that in gen 3, Seviper became a thing, who looks way more menacing than Arbok and actually has something going for it with its rivalry with Zangoose (Although the anime missed the opportunity for a gag here big time, since they should have given James a Zangoose).

Arboks stat aren't that great either, especially when comparing it with the gen 1 stats of the Poison types.

I assume it isn’t, at least in recent generations with the fact we have all sorts of stronger Poison mons that have been introduced over time.

Personally though, I do like it. I don’t have a lot of chances to use it and I barely see others use it too, but for the times I actually did try it out, it was actually pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but it was pretty great early game when it hits a lot harder than everything else. Overall, I’d say it’s pretty solid, not extremely, but it is most definitely usable.

In addition to what others had mention. Arbok has the issue of being rather...plain.

to elaborate. A few of the Gen 1 mons are based on animals like most other pokemon but they tend to be so uncreative that even tthier name make refernce of the RL animalthey refernce (Arbok is Kobra backwards,and its prevo has a simialrly backwards name, Seel is more explicit in the creativity). Contemporary and later pokemon have a little more unique designs that aren't just"real world animal", even if Kanto has IMO the Pyroar's share of the lame designs.

A regional form as already mention would help with this, but until it get ones it's line are just gonna be known as the snek pokemon doomed to be more obscure than Seviper (which is also quite obscure) and the Snivy line

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom