• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Ash's Original Team Any Good Competitively?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackButterfree

Pokémon Truth Tea Pourer
Reaction score
Note: I don't make threads in this section, I just often post in threads. If there's already a thread like this, or another place where this thread could go, could someone merge it and not delete it? I searched for a bit and didn't see anything similar, so thanks. :)

6%20of%20us.PNG

For years I've wanted to use Ash's original team in one of my playthroughs, while never having the chance to access them all until the post-game. Now with X/Y and PokéBank, it's possible. So I wanted to know...

How useful would a team comprised of Raichu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise actually be in-game and in competitive? In my X version, both my Butterfree and Blastoise have mediocre IV's, yet both are total powerhouses (but then again, I get my ass kicked whenever I log on to Battle Spot...)

And obviously in most cases the evolved form is preferable to unevolved, but I do know that Light Ball makes Pikachu more offensive than Raichu, so there's the issue of which of the two is actually more viable...

Any help that could be given would be welcome.

Completely nonviable.

Really? It's that bad? I would've assumed that it could be good since the starters are so solid.

Absolutely terrible. Now if you picked and chose from all of his Pokemon and they were all fully evolved then maybe. If this was for in-game you could work around it, but competitively its a no. I can't tell you how many of Ash's OG 6 teams I beat the hell out of since I've started battling competitively.

EDIT: Looking at them all Garchomp, Talonflame, and Greninja would definitely be on the team. Ash would also have his choice of Mega's out of M-Charizard, M-Blastoise, M-Venusaur, M-Heracross, M-Garchomp, and M-Sceptile. Maybe Gliscor and Hawlucha to round it out.

Completely nonviable.

Really? It's that bad? I would've assumed that it could be good since the starters are so solid.

Absolutely terrible. Now if you picked and chose from all of his Pokemon and they were all fully evolved then maybe. If this was for in-game you could work around it, but competitively its a no. I can't tell you how many of Ash's OG 6 teams I beat the hell out of since I've started battling competitively.

EDIT: Looking at them all Garchomp, Talonflame, and Greninja would definitely be on the team. Ash would also have his choice of Mega's out of M-Charizard, M-Blastoise, M-Venusaur, M-Heracross, M-Garchomp, and M-Sceptile. Maybe Gliscor and Hawlucha to round it out.

Boo, I was so excited to use it... :'( But at least it would slay in-game, which is the most important thing.

Issue resolved, closing thread. Contact me or another mod if something comes up.

I thought teams themed around anime characters weren't viable too, until the Video Game Championships UK Qualifier was once won by someone using a team based on Pokémon used by Gary. I think that if you focused on the VGC metagame (4v4 Doubles) and broadened your pool to Pokémon related to every species Ash has ever owned, then you could probably make a pretty viable team for that format (I don't play singles, so can't comment on it).

Some of the most commonly used Pokémon in the VGC14 format are related to Pokémon that have been owned by Ash at some point, like Garchomp, Talonflame, Gengar and Tyranitar (although its debatable as to whether Ash actually owned Haunter and Larvitar or not). As a result of it gaining Mega Evolutions, Charizard has seen a massive spike in usage. Mega Charizard Y is the most popular, especially as it can summon the Drought ability. If you pair this up with a Venusaur that has the Chlorophyll ability, it's actually quite a potent strategy.

Greninja is a Pokémon I personally use, as it is can be a tricky speedy special attacker with its hidden ability (Protean), but it is pretty frail. Staraptor was also used by one of the finalists this year (I forgot who) but it does require a rather skilled trainer to use effectively. Scrafty was really popular in previous years, but admittedly, the introduction of the Fairy-type has limited its usage.

In game, I think the team would actually be really effective as the team has nice type coverage.

EDIT:
Did you close the thread as I was typing this message @-Glory Blaze-;? How funny.

I thought teams themed around anime characters weren't viable too, until the Video Game Championships UK Qualifier was once won by someone using a team based on Pokémon used by Gary. I think that if you focused on the VGC metagame (4v4 Doubles) and broadened your pool to Pokémon related to every species Ash has ever owned, then you could probably make a pretty viable team for that format (I don't play singles, so can't comment on it).

Some of the most commonly used Pokémon in the VGC14 format are related to Pokémon that have been owned by Ash at some point, like Garchomp, Talonflame, Gengar and Tyranitar (although its debatable as to whether Ash actually owned Haunter and Larvitar or not). As a result of it gaining Mega Evolutions, Charizard has seen a massive spike in usage. Mega Charizard Y is the most popular, especially as it can summon the Drought ability. If you pair this up with a Venusaur that has the Chlorophyll ability, it's actually quite a potent strategy.

Greninja is a Pokémon I personally use, as it is can be a tricky speedy special attacker with its hidden ability (Protean), but it is pretty frail. Staraptor was also used by one of the finalists this year (I forgot who) but it does require a rather skilled trainer to use effectively. Scrafty was really popular in previous years, but admittedly, the introduction of the Fairy-type has limited its usage.

In game, I think the team would actually be really effective as the team has nice type coverage.

EDIT:
Did you close the thread as I was typing this message @-Glory Blaze-;? How funny.

Ha. Guess some people don't think the discussion is over. However, as per the OP I doubt there is any relevant discussion to continue from this thread, if @BlackButterfree wants to try his hand at an Ash-themed VGC team an RMT would be the correct way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom