• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is batting or not battling better for Pokémon's health?

Peaceful Giraffe

Ehehehehe...
Reaction score
So, here's my question. Battling involves Pokémon fighting each other, and obviously they could get hurt, maybe badly, in the process. But we've also seen Pokémon benefiting a lot from battling by leveling up and evolving. Not battling would exclude Pokémon from both these dangers and these benefits.

So, thoughts?

So, here's my question. Battling involves Pokémon fighting each other, and obviously they could get hurt, maybe badly, in the process. But we've also seen Pokémon benefiting a lot from battling by leveling up and evolving. Not battling would exclude Pokémon from both these dangers and these benefits.

So, thoughts?

I see it similar to sports matches, like Wrestling or Judo. Athletes can potentially get hurt 'fighting' each other, but by winning matches they gain 'experience' and 'level-up/evolve' (or hold a higher record/rank).

Sports matches are ways to 'evaluate' how an athlete is doing well, and what they need to improve. Similarly, pokemon battles are ways to 'evaluate' how a pokemon is doing, and thus their 'trainers/managers/coaches' develop new training methods. Athletes occasionally spar with other athletes and participate in tournaments and such. Pokemon battles are no different.

Sure, there are risks, but pokemons heal better than humans anyways, so I don't think battles are unhealthy for pokemons.

Prolly better than being cooped up inside of Pokeballs or being stuck in a box.

Eh, we're never really given any indication that battling can cause injuries other than something a trip to the Poke Center can't fix in any media. Even in the anime when the process isn't as simple as using a machine, proper treatment and rest is always enough to heal the most battered Pokemon after a day or two. As such it seems the benefits of gaining strength from battles don't really have a legitimate downside.

I do not believe it is the only way a pokemon can get stronger. It is evident that pokemon must be able to defend themselves in the wild, but I also suppose that they know how to not cause excessive damage to each other. Like real animals, they only do enough to show their superiority and leave it at that. However, I also do not think battling is their first instinct on confronting another pokemon. Some may be able to form friendships like people. I also know it is possible that they might show lethal force to an enemy. My point is maybe not all pokemon will want to fight each other. How do they get stronger, then? Pokemon also apparently have the instinct to perform their moves, or they have the capacity to learn how to do them. I can see other ways in which they would have to apply their powers in order to survive. The more they train their bodies or their abilities, they also gain "experience". (However, I do not believe it is as concrete as the game would have you believe) So, I do not believe battling is the only way pokemon get stronger. Knowledge and exercise alone will also do it.

Interesting question. I'd say that battling is better for a Pokémon's health. Besides the whole getting stronger thing that others already mentioned, I think battling can help a Pokémon maintain it's weight, much like how we humans need to exercise in order to stay fit. Plus, if a Pokémon is owned by a trainer, getting injured won't be a big deal, as Pokémon Centers instantly heal them or (if possible) their trainer can use an item to make them feel better.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom