• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl worth getting and playing, coming from Arceus?

Reaction score
Greetings!

I am just about "done" with Arceus, by which I mean I have a full Dex at Research Level 10 and just need to catch the title Pokemon to complete it. I was looking at BD/SP, and it seems the region and Pokedex is essentially the same. I've never played the original Diamond / Pearl, but I don't feel the need to play through it just for the story, and from a "total Pokemon collection" standpoint it doesn't seem especially worthwhile to do so as I've already played and had a fantastic time with Arceus with mostly the same dex list.

So, if I were to skip this one and focus on shiny hunting / other activities in Sw / Sh and Arceus, what if anything would I be missing out on? Any gameplay elements or features which are very worthwhile, or other compelling reasons for me to give it a whirl? For those who have played both, did you get anything out of BD / SP which can't be found elsewhere? If so, what?

Thanks very much for your time and insights!

BDSP is a pretty faithful remake of DP with some changes. Contests have been reworked for—in my opinion as a Contest person—the better, the Underground is very different, etc. I personally enjoyed BDSP more than Platinum QoL-wise and aesthetics-wise.

If you like the traditional mechanics of the mainline games and want to explore modern Sinnoh, I'd say give it a whirl. If you're more interested in shiny hunting in SwSh/Arceus, that's cool too! I haven't done shiny hunting in BDSP, so I can't comment on that part.

Last edited:
BDSP and Legends are remarkably different games. Therefore, playing one does not affect the value of playing the other in any way, other than the fact that playing both can help a better understanding of the lore and geography of the region.

It is a remake of Diamond and Pearl not Platinum. If you enjoyed the original Diamond and Pearl I personally think its fun, the pokemon following mechanic is kinda funny imo so why not? Give it a try.
HGSS were remakes of Gold and Silver, yet they still incorporated content from Crystal. the improvements in Platinum made it a better game, so it's nonsensical to not fault the game for failing to include them.

You gotta remember they said Faithful remakes of these two games. true to the facts or the original (second definition), while I do see where you're coming from I don't get why people are getting mad over it. You can still catch the Platinum mon, and giving the Gym Leaders rematch teams should be more than enough.

You gotta remember they said Faithful remakes of these two games. true to the facts or the original (second definition), while I do see where you're coming from I don't get why people are getting mad over it. You can still catch the Platinum mon, and giving the Gym Leaders rematch teams should be more than enough.
Probably because they would've rather had a faithful remake of Platinum, if I were to hazard a guess, since they think it's a better game. Never played any of them, so I can't speak to the accuracy of that, but is there any reason why one would prefer to have D/P as the source material rather than Platinum? Alternately, is there any reason why it being faithful to the original rather than improved upon would be considered a good thing? As it stands it's sounding like I should wait to see if a Platinum remake hits the switch.

They want a remake of DP with Platinum elements. However it's Diamond Pearl, not Platinum. I know people are gonna bring up how Heart Gold/Soul Silver has elements from Crystal but I digress.
Why not just a remake of Platinum? That's what I'm looking for at this point it seems, from what I've read it just seems like the superior game, am I missing something?

Why not just a remake of Platinum? That's what I'm looking for at this point it seems, from what I've read it just seems like the superior game, am I missing something?
Because then they couldn't sell the same game twice because Platinum was just one version. Same for Emerald not being remade because that was just one version as well. Which is a terrible reason to not make the better version as the base for a remake, but money i guess.

HGSS could get away with having Crystal elements because all of those elements were divorced from the main story. Platinum and Emerald have enough differences in their plots compared to the first two versions of their respective generations that it would require story changes to justify two remake versions. And that takes more effort than they were willing to make (which was not a lot given how BDSP turned out).

Last edited:
Yes, Platinum is considered the better version of the two. But third versions dont get remakes since they're just enhanced versions of the two original games.
Why can't they get remakes? Why would you remake an inferior product over a superior one? They own the rights to it, correct? It's not that they Can't remake Platinum, they just Didn't. Personally I'd buy it if they did but will not buy BD/SP, so I'm not convinced it's economically advantageous of a move. More importantly though appeals to tradition are rarely compelling arguments; them having not remade the "enhanced" version of a game previously is a pretty poor reason to not remake it today, right?

Because then they couldn't sell the same game twice because Platinum was just one version. Same for Emerald not being remade because that was just one version as well. Which is a terrible reason to not make the better version as the base, but money i guess.

HGSS could get away with having Crystal elements because all of its elements were divorced from the main story. Platinum and Emerald have enough differences in their plots compared to the first two versions of their respective generations that it would require story changes to justify two remake versions. And that takes more effort than they were willing to make.
Incorporating Platinum stuff would barely require any story changes; just replace Platinum's endgame with DP's. we'd miss out on the distortion world, but i can live with that if we get things like the platinum dex, looker, charon and a gym order that makes sense.

They remake the original two games and add the features of the third version to the remake, because the third version is just the first two with more stuff and content.
Right, but that doesn't answer the question, why not just remake the 3rd version? From the sounds of it, they Don't have the features and content of the 3rd version present here, and you wouldn't have to worry about it at all if you just remade the 3rd version in the first place. Seems like less work and a better end result.

Right, but that doesn't answer the question, why not just remake the 3rd version? From the sounds of it, they Don't have the features and content of the 3rd version present here, and you wouldn't have to worry about it at all if you just remade the 3rd version in the first place. Seems like less work and a better end result.
For some reason, I can't help but feel that Masuda might have disagreed with the general direction Pokémon Platinum went in even if Diamond and Pearl may have not been exactly how Masuda envisioned it either, at least in regards to Giratina's lore. Some of the data surrounding the different beta builds of DP (both dex entry wise and the infamous Beta Giratina design, though found in different builds); the dex entries about Giratina hanging around graveyards in the release builds; and the names of the locations like Sendoff Spring and Turnback Cave might suggest that the initial plans surrounding Giratina were originally different. In fact, I think someone speculated that the Pokédex roster might have been partially been due to time constraints and development problems with DP in the first place. However, I also think Game Freak wanted to save at least some of the new evolutions for post game, so I suspect that the Grand Underground additions might have been in Masuda's original planned roster for vanilla DP.

However, the changes made to Giratina have already been fully established in Pokémon's lore and the Platinum Pokédex was well received, so Masuda didn't want to impose his ideas as being the "correct" version of Sinnoh; that would just come across as petty and gain more backlash from the fandom that was probably worth. Despite this, Masuda was not comfortable working with Platinum since he disagreed with the story and Pokédex changes made. This, comblined with BDSP supposedly having a relatively short timeframe to develop as well (I think it was around 1.5 years?), led Masuda to decide to simply have ILCA be very faithful to DP in protest. He also threw the rest of the Pokémon originally planned for DP's Sinnoh Pokédex into the Grand Underground just for fun.

In conclusion, I think BDSP might partially be the result of Masuda having a Takeshi Shudo-like situation with Giratina (and DPPt as a whole) combined with him being the only Game Freak representative overseeing its development.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom