• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Charizard Overrated?

Is Charizard overrated?

• Yes

Votes: 87 64.4%
  • No

Votes: 48 35.6%

• Total voters
I'd have to say I like Charizard so much because he was my first pokemon (Well, Charmander). So he is just a Pokemon I always like to keep with me in each game if possible, even if I don't keep him in my party.

As a Charizard fan myself, I could just say that Charizard may be overrated. While it is a Dragon with fire on it's tail (every kid probably likes it's design), it has a lot of problems, including the fact that it is 4X WEAK TO STEALTH ROCK. But then Gamefreak gave Charizard 2 megas..... and I loved them more than regular Charizard.....

Charizard is overrated, but the hype that it had in the beginning has dropped tremendously. Charizard is a good choice; however, compared to other Fire pokemon you can get in the Pokemon world it's not the best. Magmortar and Arcanine 2 pure fire-types have higher stats than Charizard, if you include dual-typing, Charizard does have good stats; however, it's still weak because of fire-flying which despite adding ground immunity and other resistant bonuses, the typing would fail to a rock-type

Yes, but I've always been a Bulbasaur fan, so you can see where I'm coming from. I'm also a Greninja fan, so a certain event in the anime increased my disdain for Charizard even further.

I don't really hate Charizard, though. It's certainly my least favorite starter ever, but I don't hate it. I'm actually quite fond of Ash's Charizard because of his hilarious assholishness.

I think Charizard is underrated, since it gets a lot of hatred from anti-genwunners and people who hate its popularity. Maybe it used to be overrated, but that time is over with the anti-nostalgia, anti-Gen I and anti-Original Series sentiments that cause people to be called 'genwunners' and 'nostalgic' when they bring up even the slightest thing about Gen 1 that they like. I see a lot more Charizard-hate than Charizard-praise.

There are just some Pokemon that people either seem to love or hate, and nothing in between. Charizard seems to be one of them. Charizard is both over- and underrated. Both hyped and hated.

And no, I'm not a Charizard fan at all, neutral myself. I never used one, personally, since I always use Grass starters (aside from Gen 6 and 7, there I have Water ones).

On a normal day, I really couldn't bring myself to hate Charizard. Sure it might be my least favourite fully evolved starter of all (narrowly pipping out Greninja, funnily enough) but that's just a list of 21, it doesn't mean I dislike it with a burning and inextinguishable passion.
I'm rather detached from its colleagues Venusaur and Blastoise anyway, my heyday pick of Bulbasaur hasn't impacted my feelings towards Charizard even if my Gen I starter choice hasn't changed.

Well, admittedly, it is quite overused, but I still love the thing~ It's not like it's not as popular and used as much as it is for a reason~ Its design is sick AF and it's a good Pokemon, especially with its Megas~ So the hype's much deserved, IMO~

It is overused, but I wouldn't consider it overrated. I also think its popularity has declined recently, perhaps because the nostalgia associated with Ash's Charizard is gone since we haven't seen it since the end of Best Wishes. But we did see it again in Gen VI with two new Mega Evolutions and Alain having it in the anime, yet it was somewhat disliked in that case. In Generation VII it is a Ride Pokemon but at least it's less relevant than the previous one, so I'm think they're getting better in the regard of not letting it overshadow everything else.

Yes, I do think it is quite overrated considering the fact it has two Megas instead of just one, although I like them both, and is also used for flying purposed in Sun/Moon.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom