• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Is Dynamax more popular in Japan than in the West?

KrspaceT

Reaction score
Got some questions from myself, and from the others at Spacebattles.

Does Japan like the Dyna and Gigamax stuff more than we do? Are they happier with the news today (Gigamax Pikachu, Eevee, Charizard, Meowth, and Butterfree) than we are? What stuff do they seem to like in SnS more than we do?

Information would be appreciated.

Looking at some of the Twitter replies on today's news, it's most of the same comments as on here. Butterfree being a Mothra look-a-like, Gigamax Eevee sounding drunk, etc. Maybe it's not as negative, but a lot of people were also complaining about the small amount of news and the special treatment of Charizard compared to other Pokémon. Conversely to here, Gigamax Pikachu was super well received because of its cuteness. The same goes for the new form of Meowth, which I too really like. It's so long and funny :3

Well, someone has to find obese oval-skull pikachu cute, I guess.

I think he needs a tail cropping and a giganta-diet. Or pikachu just tossed into a black hole for a while. Let's go with the second idea. that sounds much better. Make Pichu warp digivolve into Raichu. Cut out the middlemon.

Though really butterfree is the only one of them I really like the look of. Charizard needs to stop being used for things and looks... real freakin weird to me in ways I can't articulate. Eevee looks dumb with its fluff drawn upside down. I ironically like Meowth because man I remember the days of Longcat is long. When I ignore my senior citizen era meme days it just looks sooo dumb but I can't hate it.

Considering that this is the same country that brought us Godzilla, I'd be surprised if they're not keen on Dynamax.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar93zVC6n44

I feel as though some people, worldwide, sometimes find that Dynamax reminds them of Super Famicom/SNES!!
To me specifically, Switch feels like the second generation of that specific console. Sword and Shield feel to me like a much-(much)-expanded version of what Pokemon using that engine might have been.

Well, someone has to find obese oval-skull pikachu cute, I guess.

(raises hand sheepishly)

In my defense, though, I was SUPER-skeptical when it was first mentioned in the Affleck leak. On top of more Gen 1/Pikachu pandering, it also had the gall to be a meme reference, which when appropriated by a large corporation has the potential to be disastrous. Its initial artwork didn’t give me much hope either, but seeing it in-game made me feel a lot better.

Gigantamax Eevee, on the other hand...

Nah man. Dynamax reminds me of Rita Repulsa from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

MAGIC WAND, MAKE MY MONSTER GROW!!
Fixed. ;)

And yeah, Power Rangers and Yoshi's Island are both good examples. Anything TV Tropes lists under Make My Monster Grow (which yeah, is named after MMPR) is, actually.

Now that I think about it, Gigantamax makes me think of Croc (a forgotten PS1 platformer by Argonaut Software), when Baron Dante turns animals into the bosses you're going to face in the game. Seeing how Croc was supposed to be a Yoshi platformer, I guess it might have been a case of making things like Yoshi's Island with the serial numbers filed off.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom