• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Forfeiting just as bad as D/C'ing?

is forfeiting just as bad?

• Yes, it's completely dishonorable and you should be ashamed

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • I suppose it's not quite as bad but it's still more respectable to push to the end.

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • No, it's a legit way to end the match and accept defeat.

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

Pokepal148

Reaction score
(By forfeiting I basically mean using the little 'run' button to leave the battle instead of doing a full on disconnect)

For me I feel that using the run button to concede the match is much more honorable then hitting the wireless switch. Anyone disagree?

Last edited:
No, not by a long shot. Forfeiting shows your opponent good sportsmanship by bowing out gracefully while Disconnecting makes your opponent think that you don't have any sense of decency or good sportsmanship whatsoever, because what you're doing is essentially disrespectful ragequitting and robbing them of a legitimate victory too.

Last edited:
Forfeiting is when you know you've been beat and you honorably concede defeat. D/C ing is a acting like an immature child who was beat and denying the win to the opponent.

Personally I always push it to the end, even if I know I'm gonna lose. With that being said, I think forfeiting is an honorable thing to do, but D/Cing is pretty much acting like a baby.

I always use the forfeit button when...

1. I know I'm going to lose, and I don't want to continue.
2. When the opponent has a team that I know I won't stand a chance against (I forfeit on the first turn)
3. I need to leave the game for personal reasons.

It's not that hard to do, seriously. I consider using the forfeit button a legit way to end the match.

It's much more honorable to forfeit than to run away like a child.
That being said though, I'd rather the person fight until the end. But that's just me.

Forfeiting is definitely better than Disconnecting (purposely though not accidentally). I always personally go until the last KO no matter what.

Of course not... If you know you've no hope (they've gotten in multiple stat boosts, etc.) then it's just quicker (and less awful for the loser) to just resign. Obviously disconnecting is lame and in my opinion, pathetic, as you're taking their win from them because you're childish.

I forfeit when it's completely inevitable that I'm going to lose, or when the battle becomes to stalled and painful that I just want it to end. (That moment when you're facing a Shedinja, none of your moves affect it, and you have no Pokemon left... ugh...) Everyone knows and agrees that DCers are acting like petulant 12-year-olds.

Is this a joke? Honestly, how could you even word this with the phrase "just as bad". When has forfeiting ever been bad?

Forfeiting shows you aren't an immature b*tch that can't accept the loss, which is exactly what people who DC look like. Especially when they wait till the very last minute to do so, because then they are not only denying you the win, but they've just wasted your time as well. Forfeiting has always been an honorable acceptance of defeat and rightfully gives the other player the win.

It is ALWAYS the right thing to do to forfeit. A couple of weeks ago, I started a battle with someone over the PSS, but I had to leave and the battle wasn't over (and based on her team, wouldn't have been for a while). So I forfeited. Sure it may have seemed odd leaving right in the middle of a battle that, at that point, could have resulted in either of us being the winner (though, technically, I outnumbered her in terms of remaining Pokemon), but it was much better than just cutting the power, which always makes you look like a dick.

For me I can't say if the person disconnecting is being a poor sport or not, so I can't judge them by that, though it is annoying when a battle ends abruptly because of that. Several battles ended because my connection was bad at times, and I always feel guilty.

But forfeiting I don't think is as bad. As others have said, it seems the more honorable thing to do.

Forfeiting is nothing to be ashamed of. I do it all the time when I know I am guaranteed to lose and there is absolutely no point in wasting my time or the opponent's. I still lose, but I don't deprive my opponent his or her deserved satisfaction in winning and I at least have the decency to take the loss like a good sport. To those who see something wrong with forfeiting: tough titty?

I can usually tell when a person disconnects due to a bad connection, and I have no gripe with them (though I wish they would make sure their connection is good before coming online). The people who disconnect because they are losing really need to find a different game to play, because the whole rotten sport thing is really gross. The ones that piss me off the most are the ones who disconnect at the last second as soon as they lose.

Last edited:
I always battle until the end unless:

- I have to leave for personal reasons
- I know for sure without a doubt, I will lose. Thus I prevent my beloved Pokemon from getting knocked out unnecessarily.

Rage quitting is completely disrespectful and immature. Not only does it strip the winner of their deserved victory, but it's a complete smack in the face to the spirit of the battle. There will be winners and there will be losers. If you keep battling when you clearly will win, then keep battling if it is clear you will lose (or respectfully forfeit). It's as simple as that.

Disconnecting is the worst option out there. It's disrespectful to your opponent as it robs them of the win on their record that they have earned. Disconnecting also creates the image of someone being a sore loser - that they simply cannot process the thought of them losing.
If someone forfeits though, while they are still admitting defeat, it's being done in a way that is respectful towards your opponent and acknowledges that they have earned the victory.

Personally, I will take a match down to the wire if I can see even the slimmest chance of me turning it around (after all, Pokémon is a game that can be turned around in a single turn). If a situation is utterly hopeless though, then I will concede defeat and forfeit. It often frustrates me when I am clearly going to win a battle, but my opponent keeps on hopelessly drawing it out by spamming moves like Protect. In those situations, I wish they would just forfeit so that I can search for more battles.

Even in junior TCG matches at Worlds level, I will see players offering a handshake to their opponent as a sign of forfeiting, so why masters division video game players can't even show that common courtesy baffles me.

I try not to concede, because if my opponent has done enough to make me want to quit, they deserve to have that feeling.

It's more respectful. I usually stick to the end but if you know you can't do anything like idk, 1 against 5 there's no problem from forefitting imo

To be honest, and I know I don't have a great deal of experience with battling, but I'd rather push on until the very end, and if I lose, so be it. I've never once considered forfeiting.

I don't think badly of people that forfeit really, it shows that they honorably want to end the battle, I only forfeit when I know I am done for but the opponent is taking a long time to finish me off or when I need to go for personal reasons. DCing is just bad sportsmanship though.

I couldn't care less if my opponent forfeits at it means the victory is mine anyway and it doesn't waste my time if I'm clearly going to win. I don't tend to forfeit as I like to battle to the end.
I have disconnected twice because the opponent was stalling, putting my entire team to sleep and using as much time as possible to make their decision I decided they don't deserve the win if they're not going to play fair, I'm not sure if that's a sore loser or not I just didn't see it as a win on their part.

So I guess it depends on your situation, I see no shame in forfeiting if you know the other person has won, and fairly.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom