• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generations?

Is gen VI more improved and better designed then other generations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generation

In terms of story? Certainly not. Team Flare is probably the worst villain team to date and their plan was meh at best. Coming off the best storyline in Gen 5, this was definitely a big step back.

In terms of gameplay? In some aspects, yes. Battles have never been more fun but the actual walkthrough of the game doesn't feel as immersive as most previous gens.

In terms of design? Yes, definitely an improvement. The 3D looks unpolished but it's certainly a nice step forward.

Re: Is generation VI a better improvemnt in comparision to gen V and other generation

I'm not an enormous fan of Gen VI, tbh.

The story was terrible. Team Flare wanted to destroy the world because beautiful things stopped being beautiful, or...something?

Not a huge fan of the setting, either. The developers seem to have decided not so much to make a new region, but to make PokeFrance! It's got an Eiffel Tower, and cafes everywhere, and it's all pretty and beautiful and FASHIONABLE and because France is in Europe there must be an ingrained nobility, even though France has a rather interesting history when it comes to nobility.

It's really nice seeing Pokemon with good graphics and stuff (and being able to move in more than four directions), but the style seems like quite a significant departure from the rest of the series. Not necessarily a bad thing, but the style is not to my tastes. And some of the poor Pokemon look so bad now.

I will give it many points for the gameplay enhancements, though, however the new EXP Share makes everything much too easy. I also wish there was more post-game stuff to do. Gen V was amazing for that, with whole new areas and challenges to explore after the E4. In Gen VI, the E4 really feels like the end.

There are very few ways where I feel Gen VI was an improvement in Gen V. A few mechanical improvements, a new type (but why did it have to be Fairy?) and nice graphics, but a big step backwards in every other way.

I think Gen VI made a necessary, giant step forward. Full 3D graphics were finally implemented, Super Training made gaining EVs easier for more casual players, Mega Evolution, Fairy Type, type chart adjustments, and the Delta Episode...Gen VI brought a lot to the series that it needed.

In terms of post game play and exploration, Kalos was rather bare and Gen VI Hoenn was pretty much the same. There was little exploring to do outside of the main storyline, which is a shame. There is also the issue of the games feeling a lot easier due to reduced NPC teams and the ehanced Exp. Share.

Overall, yes, I'd say it's an improvement, but it's like taking 2 steps forward, and then one step back.

I feel like the fifth gen was definitely better overall. XY were pretty bad, while ORAS were really good imo. I'm hoping we get another Kalos installment to fix the problems XY had.

People talk about Red and Blue aging poorly but, gen six is the current gen and it has shit level progression and a framerate slow down up the ass. The freaking battle algorithm is 20 years old a 3ds shouldn't have any issues especially if you're not in 3d. Even without online on or 3d on, you can have slowdown if cross a bridge fast. Really if that and the low dex count, is this the cost of moving away from sprites then, in the short term that was an awful move.

Edit: Grammer.

Last edited:

Gameplay and graphics are really the only areas that 6th gen improved in. The graphics were obviously better because of the jump to 3D, and they made a lot of neat improvements to the battling, but other than that it's the same as if not worse than other generations. The region design has been genuinely awful since 5th gen since they feel the need to dumb it down for their target audience, and the storyline is a bit on the simplistic side. Honestly, as long as they're stuck on this "mobile is the only market that matters" mentality, the games won't measure up to older installments because they have to cut things down a lot in order to appeal to that audience.

I feel like the fifth gen was definitely better overall. XY were pretty bad, while ORAS were really good imo. I'm hoping we get another Kalos installment to fix the problems XY had.
This.

The Kalos story was just too... busy for my tastes. We had the plot with Team Flare, the plot with Mega Evolution, the plot with AZ, his Floette and the War... There was some great potential but it got squandered by having multiple plot points that went almost nowhere.

I'm really hoping we get a third iteration so Kalos can be cleaned up.

Only 70 new pokemon is going to make this gen forgettable in the long run. Yes I know there's the Mega Evolutions, but the lack of new pokemon to capture and battle with is what always excited people about new gens.

Also I never understood why the games don't always bring back the features from previous gens. No World tournament from BW, no Battle Frontier (especially in ORAS where it being excluded was ridiculous), no Pokeathlon or movies from BW, no following pokemon like in HGSS, etc. Its like every time they make a new gen they cut out some of the features from the previous ones.

Honestly I think Kalos is going to wind up being one of the most forgettable regions/gens of pokemon in the long run, especially when it gets sandwiched between all the others and gets stuck in the middle, similar to the way Hoenn and Sinnoh became "middle regions" for a while and people starting hating on them for no reason other than the fact that they were old.

The best way I could describe Gen 6 is one step forward, two steps back, and I'm tempted to say three due to some of the choices with it. As mentioned before, it made good improvements to gameplay and graphics (framerate issues notwithstanding), but everything else is either at the same point it was in other generations or gotten worse from them. The story and lore was unimpressive, almost all of the side content was removed, post-game is almost non-existent, the region is still rather linear and lacks a lot of places of interest to keep your attention, the difficulty's toned down, and a lot of necessary updates for ORAS that would've been improvements (Gym Rosters, Pokedex roster, Gym Leader rematches, etc.) were flat out ignored. It really feels like Gen 6 is being choked by GF's new ideology, and it's hurting the games and how long they last.

I really hope that the next game really shines, but as Bolt the Cat said, if they don't get out of this "we have to cater only to the mobile market" thinking, the games are not going to improve past their predecessors and will stagnate.

There are very few ways where I feel Gen VI was an improvement in Gen V. A few mechanical improvements, a new type (but why did it have to be Fairy?) and nice graphics, but a big step backwards in every other way.

To balance out dragon. Whether they succeeded in that endeavor is another matter. Giving Mega-evos to stuff like Salamence & Garchomp, with M-Rayquaza becoming a god above gods certainly seems to contradict that notion somewhat.

Gen 6 follows the tradition of Gen 4 & Gen 2, in that its mark on the series was major mechanical changes & gameplay. (Though IMO those games also had superior story) Of course, Gen 3 also has that distinction, but the mechanics it introduced were better refined in Gen 4. Quite honestly, I think that the Pokemon series actually has enough features overall, to the point where they should stop relying on new gimmicks. & like Gliscor'd/Fighting Mist said above, stop removing old well received features and treating them as new. It gives the illusion of progress whenever they decide to re-implement said features.

Overall, it depends on what you like most about the series. If you don't much care for story in a Pokemon game, and only want the bare necessities then X & Y are most likely for you. With all the heavy Kanto throwbacks & Pokemon focus, it really does feel like they were trying to catch the more simpler days of the series. If you want something "more" or something deeper from the story however, then you probably won't regard Gen 6 as much as Gen 5 or the previous gens. This generation as well as the Unova games, really has me wishing that GameFreak would just make two completely different paired versions aimed at different demographics in the fanbase. One that strictly follows the tried and true formula of tradition, and one that does not; focusing on the story with the badge quest being very optional for example. People would buy one version because it is what they have come to expect from the series, and others would get the other version to try something different. Would sure beat releasing essentially the same game twice. It seemed Pokemon Black & White were toying with the idea of very different versions, but it could have been taken much further.

Just my ramblings. TLDR: Liked ORAS, X & Y were disappointing, GameFreak please try something different. Megas were an alright concept that at best gave a few obscure Pokemon (think Lopunny) viability, and allowed GF a chance to update some fan faves like Charizard. But, that could have also been handled somewhat better, like some of the distribution of Megas.

No. It's much too easy and unrefined. There is also little to do after the E4. Gen V is the superior gen.

Honestly I wouldn't even say 5th gen is an improvement, that also felt like one step forward and two steps back. It broke a lot of traditions that needed to be broken (especially in regards to storyline), but with its back to basics approach it also threw out a lot of what made the series good like exploration, Pokemon variety (although BW2 did fix this, but BW2 took a few steps back of its own), reasonable difficulty. 5th gen is where they started making things more "accessible" (read: dumbed down) to players and started developing this current mobile mentality.

I'd say 3rd and 4th gen were the gold standard for the series, because then they had finally hit their stride and started making games with a lot of depth to them. The games didn't have as many flaws as the games before and after them.

In my view, generation VI, is a very good generation. The graphic is very impressive now. But the vivlian Team "Team Flare" sry they are nothing. But it never existed a good vilian team expect Team Magma and Team Aqua. There are not many pokemons in Gen VI. In BW it was a flood of not good designed pokemon. Gen IV is a good idea, but the most interesting is OR/AS in Gen IV. The Kalos region is very nice. Gen V was only boring to play.

Gen 6 is the best gen so far. I'm a child of Johto, playing the games since gold and silver were first released, but even so I loved Kalos. It had beautiful views and I really enjoyed the games overall. B/W honestly wasn't really that great. I hated how the new pokemon looked and I didn't like the battle sprites at all. The story was ok but overall it wasn't enough to redeem those games to me.

I liked Generation VI to a point, but I'd hardly call it an improvement. Aside from the nice 3D graphics, trainer customizations (which ORAS lacked), and the concept of Mega Evolutions, it felt so rushed and it left a lot to be desired. It's like they just wanted to get Generation V out of the way so they could get their brand new, shiny nostalgia baby out to the public as soon as possible. That's all X and Y felt to me- A love letter to fans of Generation I only with a French twist to it.

Honestly, once Generation VII comes around, X and Y are just going to be games forever sitting in my game shelf. A ton of the new Pokemon are just blah (though I have a few of my favorites); I thought Team Flair was too cliched and while Lysandre wasn't the worst villain, he doesn't really stand out as anything too memorable; getting through the games was piss easy to the point where you can travel with one starter and get through the game without too much trouble; I found the champion and rivals to be forgettable as well, so much to the point where I had to look up their names right now because I honestly forgot them! To ORAS's credit, at least they had moments that made me laugh. X and Y didn't get a single emotion out of me, even with that the ending with AZ (by the way, do they ever plan on explaining more about him? Why did they name him AZ, anyways?).

I don't know. These games are just not memorable. They're just... there.

I'm a big fan of Generation 6. While I can't comment on the Generation 5 games specifically (they're the only main-series games I've never played), I will say to those who aren't fans of the plot of X and Y, Pokemon isn't a series where the appeal lies in the stories. Sure a good story is nice, but if you're playing Pokemon for the story you're playing for the wrong reason. The main appeal of the series is battling and collecting monsters, and this is where the 6th Generation games shine brightest.

I have been playing Pokemon since Yellow version came out in the United States, and I put X, Y, and ORAS near the top on my personal list of favorite games in the series. The new Pokemon were all very well designed, the graphics are beautiful, the battling, training, and breeding systems were overhauled for the better, the competitive scene was balanced out with a great new type, and I personally enjoyed the pacing of X and Y. Some elements definitely could have been handled better, but overall I'd say they were an improvement compared to the 4th generation and earlier games.

Last edited:

My favorite generation is gen five and my least favorite at least now is gen six. The ironic thing about that though is that one of gen 6's biggest flaws is that it keeps or worsens the bad parts of gen five. Too much talking at the start of gen five gen six got you covered. Gen five is too easy because people don't have enough Pokemon on your team, well gen six gives you the handy dandy exp share and catching gives you exp now so, you're probably going to have a larger party than anyone at all times. Gen five region is too linear it did have some cool optional areas, gen six has the battle chateau if you want to get even more powerful. Not enough postgame in the first game's launch gen six could double that.

Last edited:

To the core gameplay, great improvement overall. I'd say XY was the significant update since the RS overhaul. Battle, training, collecting and connecting are at their best with the PSS, Super Training, the Bank, and even the changes made to the Global Link. There are a few more minor improvements over Gen V that I appreciate too, like the return of Berry Farm (because the Gen V Berry system was tragic...), the Friend Safari as an alternative to the Dream World, or having the main menu buttons on the touch screen at all times.

I would say that the adventure has also been made more immersive with custom trainers being brought in, but that would only apply to Kalos...Which raises one the most vexing aspects of the series right now, the extra content. Be it "Region Locked" features like custom avatars and secret bases, or stuff we know is being held back or deliberately thrown out, like tutors, trainer rematches, Frontier, difficulty options, etc. I really wish they didn't screw us out of getting this stuff more consistently, and it might only get worse from here on out..."Nobody has time to play, so lets give them less to do." That is a concern...

I'm not a fan of how XY was left in the cold so that ORAS could sell more copies, either. That just doesn't ride with me in the era of DLC nor the 3DS. The last time we had this sort of partial-compatibility was during the Gameboy era, and at least back then it could be something beneficial (if you had the means to do so, you could keep all of your RBY Pokemon by sending them up to Gen 2). Now its just more of a questionable nuisance, especially when you look back and see that RS, DP, and BW were at the very least compatible with new forms during battle. This is definitely a step backward.

So, mixed bag I guess. X is my favorite game for everything I feel they did right, but some of these practices are too questionable for me to overlook.

Last edited:

Let me try to put this in numerical terms:

+3 on graphics
+3 on core gameplay
+1 on Pokémon design/amount (I vehemently support them adding around only 70 or so per Generation.)
+1 for making the Hoenn story pretty great
+1 for Mega Evolution (Although a lot of that is more due to it just being a surprisingly ballsy move, showing that they aren't afraid to make such a huge change, than for its actual implementation.)

Some small, non-numerical credit for actually realizing the "Deoxys in space" rumor, and for sorta canonizing my "Gen VI is a reboot" theory.

-3 on "mobile mentality"
-3 on XY plot
-2 for nopatching XY
-1 on XY rivals

So, it's net score totals up to "some small, non-numerical credit." Which isn't good. Gen VI pales in comparison to Gens IV and V.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom