• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it bad that I find Pokemon X and Pokemon Y to be a bit overrated? (X/Y Review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chillie102

Reaction score
Every Pokemon game is great, and it seemed that every game was getting better and better as time went on.... but then X/Y came. Just so you guys know, I don't think X/Y is bad. Tbh I'd say it's alright, but here is why I find this game way too overhyped. First off, the story is REALLY weak, and the characters are not as memorable or even interesting. Sometimes the game even puts too much focus on one single character and forgets about everything else. For example, you fight Korrina a whopping 3 times during the main story and all the other gym leaders get only 1. And Team Flare is a lackluster effort to make a good team. Even is Lysandre is great the team he rules over is so annoying. And while I do like AZ and the whole backstory to be rather intriguing, the way they told the story is not balanced well. Like sometimes they don't touch on it at all and then 5 minutes later they try to hammer it into your brain. The rivals are hit-miss. Shauna is whiney, Tierno wants to do nothing but dance, and Trevor just wants to complete the Pokedex even though he never does in the end. In the end it seemed like Calem/Serena is the only that even gives a darn. But even then they're still not as cool as Hugh or Barry. The story as a whole is told poorly and it sometimes makes me want to shut my game off and take a nap. Another thing I don't like about X/Y is that it took out so many things that made the past games so amazing. They took out the PWT, seasons, Triple/Rotation Battles, and so much more. The gameplay of X/Y though is also hit-miss. Sometimes it can work like balancing the type chart by adding the new Fairy type, which I really love. But the risings and lowerings of Pokemons' stats and attacks serves no point whatsoever. But my biggest issue with the gameplay is Mega Evolutions. They are so broken that they can almost ruin an entire match for me. Like Mega Charizard Y and Mawile are soo strong, and can sweep whole teams even when a Pokemon facing a Mega is all buffed up and ready to fight. It really shifted the entire metagame from the battle of skill and strategy it once was, to a bulk themed metagame where if a Pokemon is not perfect or even has one little nerf, it's not perfect. My heart was broken to pieces when I saw that Volcarona, Infernape, and even Alakazam go down to UU especially since they were the kings of the competitive scene back in Gen V. It also shows some major biast, since the two most popular Pokemon of all time next to Pikachu recieved two Megas rather than one. Then there's the post-game, which is just terrible. All you can do is explore 1 town and catch like 3 legendaries and thats it. When everything was done, I just felt extremely bored with the game. Not even the online functions and breeding can save this snorefest of an aftergame. But my biggest problem with the game is the Pokemon itself. First off, you know how many Pokemon there are revealed in Gen 6? Including the 3 event legendaries, the number of Gen VI Pokemon come up to be a grand total of SEVENTY TWO. FREAKING SEVENTY TWO! There are more Generation I Pokemon available in the game than the number of actual new Pokemon. The game felt like it was created by a Genwunner, especially since you get a Kanto starter, wake up a sleeping Snorlax, the Kanto starters themselves getting Megas, and even Santalune Forest completely copying the design of Viridian Forest. It didn't feel like Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, it felt like Pokemon Red 2 and Blue 2! And that is a serious flaw with the game and took away a lot of the experience mainly cuz I felt like I was playing the same game over and over again, which is one of the flaws the original Red/Blue had to begin with!!

Phew! sigh i can see all the screaming crying x/y fanboys right now...

Now before you hit that dislike button, I just want to refer to the beginning of this thing and say that the games are not bad. I find them to be a balanced game. What it really lacks in story, characters, mechanics, and Pokemon, it really makes up for it in presentation. The game is gorgeous to look at, and the soundtrack while not as grand as Black2/White2's is still really really good. And I like how the online functions have been drastically improved. I LOVE Wonder Trade, and the Pokedex is gargantuan. It has been almost a year since the games have been out and I still haven't completed the Pokedex! (stupid Meloetta) And the credits song KISEKI will always be my favorite song of the seires. Once again I like the Fairy type and the characters that do work are very good characters. Yeah this game has a severe amount of flaws, but the things that X/Y did good are really flipping good. But I do find it a bit too overrated. It is far from the best game in the series. And sadly the huge flaws really overshadows the good points of the game. So I'm giving this game a 6.5/10. The thing it did good were great, but it lacks in new content and felt like a sequel to Red/Blue than a game standing on its own. But overall I still liked it, it's just there are better Pokemon games out there.

So there you have it folks! Remember that this is my opinion and don't take this rant too seriously. I respect your opinions, so you should respect mine. If you have anything to say then type it in the comments! This is Chillie102 saying see ya later dudes! ;)

Reviews and such are best suited to be posted as blog entry. Feel free to re-post this as a blog, and let me know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom