• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it just me, or are the contests biased?

Re: Is it just me, or are the contests biast?

Yes and no... The point of contests is that they're not regular battle where the goal is to knock out your opponent, but it's also about utilizing moves and pokémon in an elegant, beautiful and creative way (basically make with da sparklez).

If I remember the contest correctly... Seviper attacks Togekiss a lot, but doesn't really do it in a beautiful way, where as every single one of Togekiss' attacks was made to look elegant and sparkly and showed off Togekiss

correct it's you have to fight+perform=win

Didn't Brock or Marian say that Togekiss's safeguard was incredibly powerful which is why it took off so much points.

Not that it matters since Seviper was knocked out.

See one thing you have to keep in mind is: Why would you think repetition would win a contest?

Which is what Seviper was doing, being repetitive.

The judging of the appeals has also never made much sense. Some appeals are clearly a hell of a lot better than others, but the weaker appeals get passing marks too.

The writers have done like 30+ Contest episodes now, and they still have a oddball point bar and appeals that have no basis.

Contests are good for the character interaction and the battles, everything else is just useless fodder.

May is just some random kid when she starts competing, and she makes it to the battle rounds of her first-ever contest. THAT'S what I call bias.

May is just some random kid when she starts competing, and she makes it to the battle rounds of her first-ever contest. THAT'S what I call bias.

And Dawn makes it to the battle rounds in her first ever contest.

Dawn even makes it really far in her first contest, where May loses her very first match.

So no, I don't think its bias at all.

And Dawn makes it to the battle rounds in her first ever contest.

Dawn even makes it really far in her first contest, where May loses her very first match.

So no, I don't think its bias at all.

They both lost in the semi finals if I'm not mistaken.

We've had some several different occasions I suspected them.

They both lost in the semi finals if I'm not mistaken.

We've had some several different occasions I suspected them.

No, Dawn got further in her first contest. Her first match was shown in a quick montage. May lost the very first battle.

And I wonder, how experienced are the dozens of coordinators who never even make it to the battle rounds?

Contests really just make up shit as they go along.

It's like playing Calvinball.
In this contest zone you can't win unless you juggle your pokemon with another Pokemon and make sure they're on their tippytoes in tutu's singing I feel pretty.

Ash VS May? Ash got 5 attacks In on May's Blaziken while she only got 1 clear hit on Ash's Sceptile. Yet they both managed to tie In points. Why? It's all plot. Plot's have holes.

Ash VS May? Ash got 5 attacks In on May's Blaziken while she only got 1 clear hit on Ash's Sceptile. Yet they both managed to tie In points. Why? It's all plot. Plot's have holes.

And the point bar was shown to decrease on Ash's side because he had no style in his attacks.

Completley biased. If I wrote the anime episodes, Dawn would have to compete in at least 40 contests to get 5 ribbons. And then who would want to watch that? Contests kill my brain cells enough as it is...

Contests are biased towards who the writers want to win. And I don't like that "Ash got in 5 hits, May gets in 1, May and Ash tie!" stuff either. I suppose I'm just too battling-oriented.

Contests are biased towards who the writers want to win. And I don't like that "Ash got in 5 hits, May gets in 1, May and Ash tie!" stuff either. I suppose I'm just too battling-oriented.

There were also a lot of double hits where each blocked each others attacks. Sky Upper Cut and Blaze Kick was used against Leaf Blade and so forth.

Its generally hard to explain unless you've seen the ep.

It's much like in real life. D: You can win just by a hair, a OHKO, or you just flat out lose, anything. I don't think it's bias at all, it's just roll of the dice. What about all of Ash's gym battles, from all the regions? In Kanto, practically half were given to him without winning any actual battle. Would THAT be called bias, too?

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom