• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it possible that James is gay?

Re: Is it possible that James..............

He didn't accepted To marry Jessibelle because he loves more than Jessie, got that? Been forgot about the scene where Jessie takes the Hand of James???

i'm not so sure since that one line has 2 meanings, as such, since he is a criminal, that makes him crooked. and making him straight would mean he's on the right side of the law :/ not gay/straight.

and how can not wanting to marry Jessebelle mean he's gay? have you not seen the latest episode where this reason is explained? in "The treasure Is All Mine!" its shown that he doesn't want to marry her (anymore) because she was a control freak and wanted him to get rid of his partner, growly (his growlithe) for a skitty.

Yeah! :bounce: That's what I said on page 1 of this thread!

Ah, where's the Kojiro facepalm cap when I need it...?
Here it is :-D

gayjames.jpg

Jeska, you should see the edit I made to my post. ;-)

Jeska, you should see the edit I made to my post. ;-)
Hahaha, that's a good one too :D

You really should remember that Pokemon is Japanese anime - the differences between the western culture and Japanese one affect the view on homosexuality as well. Something that the Japanese won't regard as "being gay" may be interpreted like this by Westerners - but it's the orginal intention that counts really. If the character wasn't intended to be homosexual, he isn't. Kojiro has never shown any interests in men, and thus, he isn't gay. For the Japanese people it's simple like that.

I'm actually elated by the thought of James being gay. I love it for his character. It makes me love him more! :)

I episode, "The Water Flowers of Cerulean City" He says after being thunderbolted, "This is one of the times I wish I could go straight

Context. He was referring to stop being a criminal.

Also, a new episode showed well he won't marry Belle.

Jessie has crossdressed just as much as James.

I'm so saving that poster...And that manga.

Last edited:

Ah, where's the Kojiro facepalm cap when I need it...?

Edit:
thisshit.jpg

Agreed.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that James didn't want to marry Jessiebelle because he was gay. I'd say that he didn't want to marry her because he didn't like her for some reason.

But his Japanese VA, looks like a Tru Man..

I'm actually elated by the thought of James being gay. I love it for his character. It makes me love him more! :)

I'm not against gay people or anything. I just don't think James is.

I used to think he was. When I was young and juvenile and didn't understand that 4kids was having it's way with the original.
He does cross-dress a lot, but that's just for comedy value. He also went gaga over the beautiful maiden in 'The Ghost of Maiden's Peak' and that was at a time when, he was at his most exuberant.
Noooo he's not gay.

*cough* he loves Jessie *cough*

I'm not against gay people or anything. I just don't think James is.

I do love Rocketshipping myself! Maybe James is bi, oh that's awesome, he flirts with men and women, and is so innocent! I fuckin love it! :)

Is James gay? Probably.

Is Kojirou gay? Definitely not.

And given that the dub pulls so much stuff out of its ass on a regular basis that I stopped accepting anything it said or did as canon a long time ago, once again I'm gonna have to side with the Japanese version on this one.

Why is everyone talking about James being gay but not Kojirou? 4kids didn't deviate anywhere.

Why is everyone talking about James being gay but not Kojirou? 4kids didn't deviate anywhere.

They gave him that voice, for one thing. And they gave him all those ambiguous lines. And yes, the crossdressing was still there, but that doesn't determine a character's sexual orientation, especially when it's played for laughs. (For another animated example, Bugs Bunny dressed in drag all the time and he sure wasn't gay - he did it to fool his opponents, just like Kojirou does.) I think it's just another case of fans seeing only what they want to see.

Besides, if you want a character who's unquestionably gay, just look at Harley.

he does cross dress a lot yes. but hes not gay. plus Jessibell is a lunatic,and manipulative. I'm sure you wouldn't want to marry someone like that. i know i wouldn't

Fanart is nice. Now how about something more... shall we say, official?

jjconfess.jpg

Also, this:

pikachu4148.jpg

Ahh yes, <3 Electric Tale of Pikachu, even though it is only manga evidence.

i'm not so sure since that one line has 2 meanings, as such, since he is a criminal, that makes him crooked. and making him straight would mean he's on the right side of the law :/ not gay/straight.

QFT. I can't believe people still misinterpret that line! IMO, it's so obvious that he was referring to the fact that he is a criminal!

Hahaha, that's a good one too :D

You really should remember that Pokemon is Japanese anime - the differences between the western culture and Japanese one affect the view on homosexuality as well. Something that the Japanese won't regard as "being gay" may be interpreted like this by Westerners - but it's the orginal intention that counts really. If the character wasn't intended to be homosexual, he isn't. Kojiro has never shown any interests in men, and thus, he isn't gay. For the Japanese people it's simple like that.

This. Some ideas and concepts just get lost in translation.

Why does it matter either way anymore?

James has been handled poorly by the Japanese writers themselves. I pretty much hate what James has become in DP. He's basically turned into the "Brock" of Team Rocket.

A pity.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom