• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it possible that James is gay?

I would like to know the context of his fanciful motions in the original version then and how it could possibly be better.

First of all, flamboyant does not always equal gay.

Second of all, most of the so-called 'evidence' that James is gay is dub-added.

Third of all, even if he isn't straight per se, there exists this thing called bisexuality.

..Your sexuality is simply determined on who you're attracted to in relation to your gender.

Has he shown romantic or sexual attraction to boys on screen? Unless Meowth counts in his hallucinative state, then no.

Has he shown attraction to girls? Yes. Yes he has. 'Belle and that girl from Maiden's Peak for example.

Well I'm not sure if I can talk about that stuff (just received 8 infraction points from VA talk lol), you should ask Snake Bandage.

Meron, you are so mean. I saw my name mentioned and had to watch that video and now (after muting it) I'm a puddle on the floor.

The whole Moltres James/Fire Kojirou thing is blown out of proportion. The dub really, really gayed it out, but in the original Kojirou was more like "I'M THE BIGGEST BADDEST SUPERHERO EVER AND YOU SHOULD ALL THINK I'M THE AWESOMEST!!!". Musashi and Nyasu were weirded out by his behavior in that episode, for sure, but they were embarrassed by Kojirou's usage of archaic, overly poetic language more than anything else. They were all "it's nice that you're confident and all and we don't even mind the outfit but jeez, you can talk like a normal person!"

Granted, it WAS a spandex chicken suit. But Superman wears spandex and nobody thinks HE'S gay. ...Well, mostly. The point is, Kojirou's a dork and thought he was awesome and that was the point.

I also think Fire Kojirou is incredibly sexy but I'm weird.

If James is "gay" by hating Jessibelle then perhaps Jessie is a lesbian for hating all men (She states in The Bicker the better she hates all men, she probably didn't mean it that much but still). Besides if I was James I wouldn't like Jessiebelle either, I would be running a mile away (I think James could have commitment issues too, in Heartbreak of Brock he makes it obvious he hates fiances so probably would never want to get tied in).

James saying things like this makes me want to go straight meant as a good guy not a bad guy.

The lines that make James out to be gay are dub only. Kojirou isn't made out to be like that. In a children's cartoon, the odds of a gay character also decrease. Before people jump on me for this, remember in "Keep Pikachu and Potchama Apart!!"? Remember Takeshi's line about Pikachu and Potchama? http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/comparisons/diamond_pearl/ep149.html

But most of all ... even if he was, does it really matter? Does it really warrant a five page discussion?

Uhm, where's that 'oh, it's that thread again' cap that Ryuu posts around?

Re: Is it possible that James..............

He loses to a filler character the first match. In the AG Pokeringer Contest he made it to the finals and nearly beat Ash. He was treated like garbage in the DP one.
Even though I hated the fact he lost to a filler character too, maybe it was just a role reversal. He won in AG, lost in DP. Musashi lost a lot of the contests for AG (I think), but now winning them for DP. Maybe they decided to have him shine at some point for AG and letting her shine for DP. Just a theory.

Oh yeah, getting back on topic...no, don't think his character is gay and never thought he was. Still surprising that returning to the fandom, that this is still being debated. Seems it's Rocketshipping...but who knows. Isn't even hinted at anymore now-a-days?

Last edited:
Re: Is it possible that James..............

Still surprising that returning to the fandom, that this is still being debated. Seems it's Rocketshipping...but who knows. Isn't even hinted at anymore now-a-days?
If you would actually watch the anime, you would know better.

The only reason people think these things is because James/Meowth are shown to be scared of Jessie in countless DP episodes.

I honestly don't remember James/Meowth cowering from Jessie this much in any of the older arcs.

They don't cower from her all that much! Most of the time they're more like "what kind of weird thing did you eat this morning that's making you act like a giant weirdo?" I recall Kojirou even said something to that effect in an episode or two.

They don't cower from her all that much! Most of the time they're more like "what kind of weird thing did you eat this morning that's making you act like a giant weirdo?" I recall Kojirou even said something to that effect in an episode or two.
It was that Pochama falls in love with Marill episode, where Musashi goes a bit crazy and Kojiro says "Maybe she ate something weird." I loved that scene!

And she doesn't scare them, she just creeps them out being a bit creepy every now and then. XD And Scott, if you mean dialogue, that's dub crap.

The problem is those "classic" TR fans don't watch the DP saga, and they don't like what TR has changed into.

Anyone notice all those very original classic TR fans seem to hate Jessie being a coordinator? They all prefer TR go back to the way they were in Kanto, and hate what they've become.

The TR fanbase is now split, and a lot of those very original fans don't like Jessie being a coordinator, TR's new Pokemon, and so forth.

I haven't heard any rocket fan say they don't like Musashi being a coordinator. o_O But I can imagine... And Kanto rockets sucked hard compared to what they are now, pft.

Most of the oldschool Team Rocket fans I've talked to lately either hate Pokemon too much to give any aspect of it positive attention these days, or are stoked about Team Rocket getting, gasp shock, character development. Not that it's going to make them watch the series again, but they like the idea of Jessie winning things.

Most of the oldschool Team Rocket fans I've talked to lately either hate Pokemon too much to give any aspect of it positive attention these days, or are stoked about Team Rocket getting, gasp shock, character development.

You'd be surprised, I've seen a lot of those old 1998 TR fans say that Jessie was "ruined" because she became a coordinator. Once TR released Arbok/Weezing they thought their characters jumped the shark, as it was with them like Pikachu was with Ash since the very beginning.

Its the same whining about how any of the other characters changed from the first season, like how Ash isn't as much an idiot anymore or how Brock has become bland.

I don't think sexuality really matters in an series like Pokémon. Maybe James is gay in the series creators eyes, maybe not- it doesn't really affect the series at all. :3

(Although personally, seeing as I like pictures/stories of James with both girls and guys, one might say in my mind he's bisexual...)

The problem is those "classic" TR fans don't watch the DP saga, and they don't like what TR has changed into.

Anyone notice all those very original classic TR fans seem to hate Jessie being a coordinator? They all prefer TR go back to the way they were in Kanto, and hate what they've become.

The TR fanbase is now split, and a lot of those very original fans don't like Jessie being a coordinator, TR's new Pokemon, and so forth.
As a Team Rocket fan since 2000, I have to admit, that I didn't like when Musashi became a coordinator - she just sucked at it, cheated a lot and she was treated like a joke overall.

I hated Team Rocket's AG portrayal. Many classic TR fans stopped watching at that time, but I decided to put up with it and here I am, watching DP and loving it even more than Kanto. Finally, Team Rocket got developed for better, and even though I hated Candy Musarina's look, I learned to love her contests.

Many classic TR fans are not completely aware of what's going on in DP. What could they know, if they stopped watching years ago? Just hearing about things won't help at all - they have to watch and feel the difference. Instead, they live feeling all nostalgic for Kanto and it's hard to convince them that it's just a bias. I was like that myself yet half a year ago. Watching DP regularly and realizing a few things made me love DP completely. Now I think that DP's Team Rocket portayal is way better than Kanto's.

I'm surprised no one has ever made this thread about Harley or Zoey. It's always James for some reason.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom