• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it really necessary to evolve?

Should you always evolve

• Yes! You want to be powerful right?

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No! It's not necessary with the right strategy.

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SEXYEDDiE

Party Time
Reaction score
Ok, I want to know is it possible to have a good Pokemon without evolving it? For instance, I love Meowth and I prefer not to evolve him even though he isn't very strong I just like his presence in my team. :party:
:052: or :053:?

I'm not a competitive battler by any means, but I have unevolved pokemon on my teams all the time. My classic team has a Gloom and a Kadabra as opposed to their evolved forms, and I have a level 100 Bagon just for the hell of it. You can pretty much get through the main plot with unevolved forms so I see no reason why you should evolve them if you don't like their evolutions as much. I suppose you'd run into problems with the battle frontier or battling a real person though.

Usually I'll evolve all the way with every Pokémon I have, though sometimes they're good even unevolved.

I always wait until I'm done training to do a stone evolution, though.

In the games of course its better to evolve, you'll win battles a lot easier.

In the anime, it doesn't really matter as much.

I feel it isn't necessary because my strongest Pokemon are still at their middle stages - Combusken, Pidgeotto. I feel you can train them to be even better than they could've been.

Um, depends on the pokemon. I mean, some look good in their evolved forms, some look bad.

If its a pokemon like Mitsuhoney (Who I love) then I dont mind evolving it because I love Beequeen too.

But a pokemon like Pidgeotto or Torchic (Not that I like them much anyway) I dont evolve because their evolved forms suck.

I always evolve my pokes as far as they can go. Evolutions usually have the more favorable stats all around. There may be one stat that an unevolved poke has that's better than its evo. (Shelgon is the best example, although it no longer has the highest def of Dragons) It all depends on which evo state you prefer. I like evolving things, it's just more exciting to me. If you're not talking about the game, then anything goes. The power of a pokemon is only limited to your imagination, and the anime has had evolved pokemon defeated by unevolved pokes more times than I can count.

Ok, I want to know is it possible to have a good Pokemon without evolving it? For instance, I love Meowth and I prefer not to evolve him even though he isn't very strong I just like his presence in my team. :party:
:052: or :053:?

Of course its really your choice. If you want the strongest team possible evolve it if you want to keep your Meowth keep it, and if your worried about not having a strong team but still want to keep it look at it this way:think how stupid it would be if the Anime team evolved Ash's Pikachu or Team Rocket's own Meowth, and if you kept it,you'd get a bonus as it would add some individuality to your team, and(finally) there is NOTHING to say you can't have a strong unevolved Pokemon just keep training it.

I think that if you realy dont like the evolutions than you should stick with the pre-evolutions but with some pokemon it is absolutely neccesary like magikarp.

Of coarse it isn't necessary to evolve your Pokemon. I have a Totodile and a Koffing (Funnyface) that's never going to evolve. I want to someday enter at least one of them on WiFi. It won't matter if they win or loose as long as I have fun with that character/s.

I've been hoping that GF makes gen 5 more competitive friendly towards un-evolved pokemon, allowing for more than normal effort to produce a stronger monster.

Well, I generally tend to evolve, but there are some pokemon who are better than their evolved forms, atleast in one stat. Like I'd prefer a Vigoroth to a Slaking. Vigoroth's ability is way better than Slaking's ability, and I think Vigoroth has higher speed. So I'd go with Vigoroth over Slaking. But for Meowth? Meowth isn't as good as Persian, but I can understand if you feel like not evolving him/her.

I beat the E4 in Sapphire with a team that I believe was entirely unevoled. Lemme just say it made the game MUCH more challenging at that point, but I still managed. One Pokemon isn't going to hold you back that much, although you're going to start to see it faint pretty fast.

It depends on how you play. If you're doing it competitively, then there's very few situations where you won't want to evolve whatever Pokemon you're using.

Personally I stick with the final evolutions most of the time when I'm playing, with Trapinch as the sole exception. Although I'm looking towards the Focus Band a bit, since it could potentially make unevolved guys more usable in serious battling.

I usually make them evolve, but I do think unevolved Pokemon can be useful if it is an ingame team.

I always evolve, except when trying to get one of every species. X_x

I don't think it is necessary. Although I do evolve my Pokemon mosty all the time. Still there are a few that I don't like to evolve. Like Wartortole. It's too cute to evolve ^^!

i agree moon like grovyle is stronger and strategy strategy strategy...
so i would of voted no evolving
like pichu os so cute so it will never evolve

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom