• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is it worth to watch the anime(and movies) from the very beginning?

I don't know if it would be worth watching every single episode including fillers. My suggestion is to look up the list of plot-related, relatively important episodes through bulbapedia (such as gym battles, rival battles, evolutions, new captures, etc). And maybe some of the then-banned episodes if you are interested. Even though the pokemon anime overall is entertaining, some of the episodes are indeed downright bad.

This is exactly what I'm doing now. At first, I thought I could watch through or even enjoy the fillers but after a while it became such a pain and I'm starting to lose interest. Now I have a list of the important episodes PLUS those banned/ edited episodes for the sake of watching the original.

For example, in episode 034 of Indigo League arc titled Kangaskhan Kid, the Japanese original had this suppose comical/humorous part where Tommy saw Misty's breasts, zoomed it and asked if he could suck it/nurse on it. The zoomed part was removed from the English release and instead given a different dialogue, defeating the original pun. I know it's all about differences in culture but I really cannot understand why such mild "green/dirty" jokes are totally okay for the kids in Japan than in the US. It's sad. I wouldn't mind to have such minor dirty jokes every once in a while. I highly doubt the kids would even take that seriously anyway. We need such for "fanservicing" the adult audience. LOL

Forgive me for this. Just my opinion. :p

For example, in episode 034 of Indigo League arc titled Kangaskhan Kid, the Japanese original had this suppose comical/humorous part where Tommy saw Misty's breasts, zoomed it and asked if he could suck it/nurse on it. The zoomed part was removed from the English release and instead given a different dialogue, defeating the original pun. I know it's all about differences in culture but I really cannot understand why such mild "green/dirty" jokes are totally okay for the kids in Japan than in the US. It's sad. I wouldn't mind to have such minor dirty jokes every once in a while. I highly doubt the kids would even take that seriously anyway. We need such for "fanservicing" the adult audience. LOL

Forgive me for this. Just my opinion. :p

Well Japan does have different standards for their kid shows compared to the U.S. It's not really surprising when they have a higher tolerance for violence in their kid shows too. I'm not sure if that gag was fanservice exactly when Tommy wasn't trying to be dirty or anything like that, although a close up on Misty's breasts would be more creepy than fanservice to me. As blunt as Tommy was, it did make sense within the context of his backstory. He was a wild child and wouldn't know how else to respond to a woman most likely as a result. While some dirty jokes could go over kid's heads, it wouldn't for the adults and that might upset parents, which is exactly why the gag was edited. Pokemon is largely family friendly, so I don't think that they'd want to have a gag that focuses on breasts, especially when it focuses on a ten year old girl's breasts.

Considering that the main cast are all children, we really don't need to throw in fanservice to appeal to the adult audience, especially when the show has always been focused on children. There are plenty of other anime titles that have fanservice shots/gags to appeal to the adult audience. Pokemon doesn't need cater to that audience.

I guess that's true. Well, at least they kept it in the original version. And I'm wondering if such incidents exist in the later seasons? Stuff edited in the dub due to having such controversial content?

I guess that's true. Well, at least they kept it in the original version. And I'm wondering if such incidents exist in the later seasons? Stuff edited in the dub due to having such controversial content?

I don't think so. The later seasons/series stick closer to the games compared to the Kanto arc and being focused on a more global audience than they were originally probably also reduced any content that could be considered controversial for other countries.

I'd say yes if you have a lot of time on your hands and skip the fillers.
Original or dubbed is your choice. Honestly, though, you aren't missing out on much by watching dubbed – unless you're wondering where all of Ash's Tauros came from.

The thing with M14, besides the two versions thing, is that Ash is completely oblivious to who or what Reshiram is in Episode N. Like he never met it, even though he meets it in both versions of the film. But I suppose that has happened before. The rest of the movies are definitely canon though. M01 and M16 have direct connections to the main anime, and the other films are sometimes loosely mentioned. The events of M02 for example were mentioned during the Lugia Whirl Islands arc. And in one episode of DP, Dawn still had the Lunar Wing she bought in M10.

I agree with Neo. It is very easy to slot certain bits of the movies into the anime. Remember the movie is a collection of anime episodes really. I think you have to remember that this show is for kids who may well have got into Pokemon at a later age. Therefore, it would be wise for producers to dex Pokemon. Especially if it is not new in that region i.e. a Bulbasaur in Unova.

I like that Pokémon Is family friendly, even though I am an adult. I don't want dirty stuff.
Plus, lots of those who watch Pokémon come from conservative cultures.
Yes I agree - I do enjoy that it is family friendly - I liked how they handled Ash and Serena kissing. But, that statement about conservative culture is quite a bold statement to make. Without evidence, of course!

In the current series, the dub has censored things like Ash vomiting glitter on Pikachu and some scenes of Meowth after he "dies" whenever he sees Mimikyu's insides, so it still happens every now and then.

Last edited:
Personally, I do find worth in watching the anime from the beginning (including the "filler" episodes :cautious:), for doing so enables the viewer to savor all the flavor the franchise segment has to offer. Twenty years is a long time, and each new episode does add something different, however big or small, to the adventures of Ash and his traveling companions within a region; IMO, it is this variety of the anime, and the corresponding adventures and characterization of the main protagonists over time, that makes it worth a watch from root to where it stands now.

Of course, doing so requires intense motivation and time, there's that! :p

I don't think that filler episodes are a bad thing - it allows for mini-plots within a big story. But sometimes there are too many filler episodes which is why the anime is time-consuming :p

I like that Pokémon Is family friendly, even though I am an adult. I don't want dirty stuff.
Plus, lots of those who watch Pokémon come from conservative cultures.

Lol your user icon makes your comments seem so much more valid and dramatic. Queen Cynthia is queen and everything she says is important.

Still sad that she didn't join the final battle in XY. Lol

@Ochiru asked whether he should watch the whole anime again. I think it is important to watch every episode as it makes you feel good and also if you have OCD like me it won't make you feel agitated to skipping something. Even though BW, in my opinion, is the worst one, you still have to watch. I have watched the whole thing twice and I died in BW but it had to be done haha

I never like it when people say: "Just skip this because it sucks". Just start watching BW and make your own judgment on it. There are still a lot of people who enjoyed it. If you've watched a certain amount of episodes and decide it's not for you, you can always still skip it. Though I think it's better to still watch it in it's entirety regardless.

I never like it when people say: "Just skip this because it sucks". Just start watching BW and make your own judgment on it. There are still a lot of people who enjoyed it. If you've watched a certain amount of episodes and decide it's not for you, you can always still skip it. Though I think it's better to still watch it in it's entirety regardless.
Totally agreed. The BW anime whilst not my favourite is favourites for others. But I disagree about skipping it though after a certain amount of episodes :p

Yeah, even though people consider the BW series to be bad altogether (I don't!), there's no denying the fact the series is tied in with the overall story; skipping it would be a bad move IMO, since it does have its associations with both the past and future series.

Plus, the BW series does have its share in the overall characterization of Ash and his friends, so watching the BW series is a must for whosoever wishes to be acquainted with the adventures of the boy and his traveling companions within Unova.

Totally agreed. The BW anime whilst not my favourite is favourites for others. But I disagree about skipping it though after a certain amount of episodes :p
Well, I don't think someone should watch something if they're miserable watching it, hence why I said that. But on the other hand I also agree with you that for the full experience you should watch it all, whether you like the series or not. Your opinion on a series is more valid in my opinion if you've watched the whole series.

Who knows, maybe Ochiru will like BW. I enjoyed a lot of it myself.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom