• Another exciting episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here.
  • Grookey, Scorbunny or Sobble, which one do you love most? Want to show your support with a cool banner, check out the info here!

Is My Pokémon Heartgold Game Bootleg?

prog rocker

Reaction score
The freezes are a big red flag since that's part of the anti-piracy measures that HeartGold and SoulSilver have. I think that it could be false.

Bubbs

Reaction score
My dad said that it could be that it’s just a old DS game. I have the game cartridge inserted into a new Nintendo 3ds XL.

Does it’s game cartridge raise any red flags?

Bubbs

Reaction score
The sound is silent. The only thing I see is just where I left off, can’t move. My game saves fine though.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Does it have the infra-red sensor? If not, then it's definitely counterfeit.

Bubbs

Reaction score

I’m pretty sure it does. It does have a red sheen to it.

prog rocker

Reaction score
The infra-red port is on top of the cartridge, not on the back.

Bubbs

Reaction score

I just see a lil arrow on the bottom. Can the infrared been seen by this pic

Bubbs

Reaction score
The game froze and all I see is just a blank square. When I got the game, my mom tried to open the thing it came in with a butter knife. Idk if that damaged the game cartridge

prog rocker

Reaction score
Okay, I gotta admit that I screwed things up: I don't think you can see the infrared port, at least, not in an easy way. I guess I got confused since I could have sworn that my Black cartridge had something different, but comparing it to my Pearl cartridge I can't see any difference aside from color.

Sorry.

Bubbs

Reaction score
Okay, I gotta admit that I screwed things up: I don't think you can see the infrared port, at least, not in an easy way. I guess I got confused since I could have sworn that my Black cartridge had something different, but comparing it to my Pearl cartridge I can't see any difference aside from color.

Sorry.
It’s okay.

Bubbs

Reaction score
I really hope the freezing stops on it... and I also have a game cartridge of Pokémon white my friend gave to me a year or two ago that works fine and isn’t buggy

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
Either way, you probably need a new game. This one is supposedly brand new, and the seller's rating is 95.9%.

Bubbs

Reaction score
But it’s a bit iffy if it’s coming from China... aka the land of the bootlegs

Unown Seer

Silktree?
Reaction score
Fair point, which is why I was careful. Reading the negative feedback, the company has been accused of selling bootlegs.

Honestly, while there might be a hidden gem out there, I'd have to recommend getting a flash cart. Paying over $40 for an old game just doesn't make sense, and the games may never be put on eShop.

Moon Shadow

The Fallen
Reaction score
As Unown said, in either case, it's a dud.

Potential bootlegs or corrupted or just old and worn cartridges are the reason purchasing cartridges off of seller based sites such as Amazon and Ebay is ill-advised.
New, properly packaged games from a real store such as Gamestop, Best Buy or Target while more expensive is the safest way to go.

lordfridge

Good Hunter
Reaction score
Bootleg or no, I do have some issues with my older DS games freezing up for no reason or just failing to be recognised at all by the system.
It could be that it needs a new internal battery.

TeaWest

My face when I see some chocolate
Reaction score
If it needs a new internal battery good luck, I don't know if there's a way to even open a DS game without completely sabotaging the cartridge. It's just glue that holds them together not screws like with GBA games.