• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokemon from the future?

Unfortunately I can't agree on that one, unless you take crazyness like aliens somehow taking earthly organisms to another planet or said orgnanisms coming from another planet somehow (wether being brought by aliens, magic or w/e). Why do I say this? Becuase unless you add some bizarre theory or idea to the equation, it's highly unlikely that you'll have two worlds, so far apart from each other, to have their organisms develope pretty much identically, and I don't mean this for the humans only, but the pokemon too, many of wich have striking resemblences to our animals. So yeah...it's highley unlikely that could happen.

Ok, look, it may not be the most Plausible theory, but it seems valid enough. Besides, if it doesn't seem plausible for you, I'm not sure if "Battlestar Galactica" and other voyages after Earth's destruction would make any sense to you. Plus, it was kind of confirmed in the Anime at least (though there have been hints in various mediums of this as well) that all Pokemon (Save for Pokemon developed exclusively on Pokeria) came from Outer Space and are, In essence, Aliens.

And about what you said about how humans can't live on planets too far from each other, "Star Wars" having Humans despite it's claims of having a different galaxy being far far away from our own would beg to differ. Speaking of Star Wars, Just because we Earthlings didn't get advanced technology until the 19th century doesn't mean that every single race in the universe didn't have advanced technology either.

Plus, it was kind of confirmed in the Anime at least (though there have been hints in various mediums of this as well) that all Pokemon (Save for Pokemon developed exclusively on Pokeria) came from Outer Space and are, In essence, Aliens.

When was it confirmed? Rayquaza comes from space, and possibly Clefairy, but what else?

When was it confirmed? Rayquaza comes from space, and possibly Clefairy, but what else?

Clefairy and the Moon stone. Seymour told them that when he was younger, he believed that ALL Pokemon came from Outer Space via the Moon Stone, and there was a scene in this explaination depicting several shadowed pokemon in a spaceship resembling a meteor.

Some of these pokemon resembled a Venusaur, an Onix, a Kadabra, and a pokemon that almost resembled Abomasnow.

Ok, look, it may not be the most Plausible theory, but it seems valid enough. Besides, if it doesn't seem plausible for you, I'm not sure if "Battlestar Galactica" and other voyages after Earth's destruction would make any sense to you. Plus, it was kind of confirmed in the Anime at least (though there have been hints in various mediums of this as well) that all Pokemon (Save for Pokemon developed exclusively on Pokeria) came from Outer Space and are, In essence, Aliens.

I haven't seen "Battlestar Galactica" or any shows of that kind. The closest to something of that type that I've watched has been Star Wars.

And wasn't that a theory from that wacky scientist guy in the episode where the Clefairy's take stuff? And another thing. Those episodes as from Season I, the writters back then had no idea how the pokemon world was to be developed later on, and the writters have proven to ignore many of the things established back then because they wouldn't make much sense with the things established NOW by the game canon. Arceus comes to mind.

And....Pokeria? o_o
And about what you said about how humans can't live on planets too far from each other, "Star Wars" having Humans despite it's claims of having a different galaxy being far far away from our own would beg to differ. Speaking of Star Wars, Just because we Earthlings didn't get advanced technology until the 19th century doesn't mean that every single race in the universe didn't have advanced technology either.
Read my post carefully, I said having two planets, far away from each other, that it could be near impossible for them to have their creatures evolve so similarly. Each planet is different from the next, no planet is identical to each other, so the creatures that evolve in them have to be differnt from other creatures that evolved in other planets. So it's impossible for another planet to have native humans that evolved there aswell as our planet having us who evolved here. o_o

Deoxys? Palkia? 0.0 And I thought Rayquaza just lived in the Ozone Layer. >.>

Last edited:
Damn, I was thinking of Deoxys, not Rayquaza. That's what I get for posting at 3:30 am.

Palkia and Dialga live in an alternate dimension, not a different planet in the same dimension.

And Weedle, the thing to remember is that that was Seymour's THEORY. It wasn't presented as fact.

I haven't seen "Battlestar Galactica" or any shows of that kind. The closest to something of that type that I've watched has been Star Wars.

And wasn't that a theory from that wacky scientist guy in the episode where the Clefairy's take stuff? And another thing. Those episodes as from Season I, the writters back then had no idea how the pokemon world was to be developed later on, and the writters have proven to ignore many of the things established back then because they wouldn't make much sense with the things established NOW by the game canon. Arceus comes to mind.

And....Pokeria? o_o

Yeah, you and Blackjack Palazzo are right. It was a theory, although, unless I am mistaken, The Anime seemed to be the first to imply that Pokemon came from Outer Space (Yes, there have been mentions of the Clefairy line being from space as well, but I was meaning more the entire Pokemon species as a whole, since it wasn't until Generation 3 that they started saying that ALL pokemon species were from Space.).

Also, about their ignoring it, Please explain why they referenced Jessebelle and other characters/concepts from Season 1 and even Johto? Plus, Pearl's pokedex entry on Mew still referenced it being the ancestor of all pokemon, which makes the Arceus Pokedex entry even MORE warped since Mew was also still referenced to be the ancestor of all pokemon.

oh, and Pokeria is the name of the planet that Pokemon takes place on (BTW, I got the name by combining Pokemon with Corneria.)

Read my post carefully, I said having two planets, far away from each other, that it could be near impossible for them to have their creatures evolve so similarly. Each planet is different from the next, no planet is identical to each other, so the creatures that evolve in them have to be differnt from other creatures that evolved in other planets. So it's impossible for another planet to have native humans that evolved there aswell as our planet having us who evolved here. o_o

I did read it carefully, and I cited "Star Wars" as an example to disprove the thing about Humans not existing on different Planets as Identical creatures. I mean, they were about 8,000,000,000 light years away from Planet Earth (Nevermind the Milky Way Galaxy), they never mentioned the Milky Way Galaxy aside from the opening line of "Long Ago, in a galaxy far, far away", never mind implied that they could have moved from there. Besides, we don't know much about any life forms beyond our own planet. For all we know, there could be identical humans from another part of the universe.

Yeah, you and Blackjack Palazzo are right. It was a theory, although, unless I am mistaken, The Anime seemed to be the first to imply that Pokemon came from Outer Space (Yes, there have been mentions of the Clefairy line being from space as well, but I was meaning more the entire Pokemon species as a whole, since it wasn't until Generation 3 that they started saying that ALL pokemon species were from Space.).

It was a theory. I remember him explaining it and then the screen switched to one of many pokemon shadows in a clefairy ship.

Also...is all this clefairy and pokemon in general probly being from space seen in the other canons of Pokemon? Specially the game canon?

Also, about their ignoring it, Please explain why they referenced Jessebelle and other characters/concepts from Season 1 and even Johto? Plus, Pearl's pokedex entry on Mew still referenced it being the ancestor of all pokemon, which makes the Arceus Pokedex entry even MORE warped since Mew was also still referenced to be the ancestor of all pokemon.

oh, and Pokeria is the name of the planet that Pokemon takes place on (BTW, I got the name by combining Pokemon with Corneria.)

Because they felt like it? And Im talking about things that affect the story in the long run. Like levels. Those play no part in the anime anymore, because they make no sense.
And don't believe eveything the Pokedex says, remember the views on Mew, the views on Arceus are all religious or similar type of views. That doesn't mean they are real. Atleast with Arceus we have more physical evidence that it's the original one than with Mew. It's just like religions in our world, Catholics belive this while Muslims belive that. =/

And the whole "Mew is the acenstor of all Pokemon" can apply to all pokemon in the pokemon world. Arceus,Giratina,Dialga and Palkia all originate from another dimension. Maybe the pixies too.

But Pokeria isn't a canon name...so don't call it that. And I hope it isn't a canon name, or never becomes one. Pokeria sounds alot like "porqueria" wich means crap in spanish. >_<

I did read it carefully, and I cited "Star Wars" as an example to disprove the thing about Humans not existing on different Planets as Identical creatures. I mean, they were about 8,000,000,000 light years away from Planet Earth (Nevermind the Milky Way Galaxy), they never mentioned the Milky Way Galaxy aside from the opening line of "Long Ago, in a galaxy far, far away", never mind implied that they could have moved from there. Besides, we don't know much about any life forms beyond our own planet. For all we know, there could be identical humans from another part of the universe.

We know about the origins of the Star Wars Universe as much as we do about Pokemon's. And space travel is really normal in the Star Wars Universe, humans there probly come from a certain world, but as time went on the traveled and colonized other world, just like humans in our world did with other lands.

But basing things on what we know of evolution and other planets we've studied the chances of that seem very unlikely.

Well, with Mew and Arceus, one could theorize that they are the same being, Arceus crated Mew, or vice-versa.

Also, they eat meat in the anime, and I'm pretty sure they don't eat Pokemon meat. Also, if Pokemon really evolved from animals, wouldn't humans have changed as well?

Well, with Mew and Arceus, one could theorize that they are the same being, Arceus crated Mew, or vice-versa.

Also, they eat meat in the anime, and I'm pretty sure they don't eat Pokemon meat. Also, if Pokemon really evolved from animals, wouldn't humans have changed as well?

Actually, I can see them eating Pokemon. Probly factory bred pokemon for consuption similar to factory bred chickens. They can alter certain things in those pokemon so that they don't suffer or something...but thats an idea for another thread.

But considering we know Arceus is from another dimension and is like an omnipotent deity of sorts, he probly came before Mew, wich makes more sense. Arceus created Mew to start life on the planet after said planet was created.

I don't know if any of you have read any of Phillip Pullmans Golden Compass trilogy? (His dark materials or w/e)... But anyways, in the story he describes there being millions of parallel universes to ours. For example in the main universe the main story takes place in, peoples souls are actually outside of there body and they take on the shape of an animal depending on that persons personality. But mostly everything else in the world is basically the same as the one we live in except obviously our souls are actually a part of us (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Well I would like to think of the Pokemon universe in the same way, (im not talking about souls here) but what I mean is I don't see why in a different (parallel universe to ours) animals couldn't have evolved (or been created differently), gaining special abilities and even becoming intelligent enough to understand human language and some being able to speak via telekinesis etc... Because its crazy to think with so many possible universes out there that the possible living creatures in them would always come out the same. If you know what I mean, so the idea of Pokemon doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

Just my thoughts though.

Last edited:
But humans don't have an excuse to evolve right now, we haven't for centuries, we provide to our every need through un-natural...or "modified" means wich don't require us to change. No I don't agree with the "island" idea, just wanted to point that out...wich maybe could also apply to the how ever the pokemon universe developed?
Well for a monumental change like that to happen,. it would have obviously taken millions of years ago. Unlike our nice cushie lives now, our homonid ancestors did need to adapt, so if some how any of them were on that island, one would think it would have brought a rise to a separate species.

I hate it when people view Mew as a god of some sorts. The only reason they do it is because it has all the DNA of the known Pokemon (which would exclude DNA from legendaries who are very well hidden), and last I checked DNA wasn't why an ancient civilization called something a god. Mew is the scientific explanation of the Pokemon world, pretty much the evolution theory, while Arceus is pretty much creationism, or any creation story from any religion.

I don't know if any of you have read any of Phillip Pullmans Golden Compass trilogy? (His dark materials or w/e)... But anyways, in the story he describes there being millions of parallel universes to ours. For example in the main universe the main story takes place in, peoples souls are actually outside of there body and they take on the shape of an animal depending on that persons personality. But mostly everything else in the world is basically the same as the one we live in except obviously our souls are actually a part of us (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Well I would like to think of the Pokemon universe in the same way, (im not talking about souls here) but what I mean is I don't see why in a different (parallel universe to ours) animals couldn't have evolved (or been created differently), gaining special abilities and even becoming intelligent enough to understand human language and some being able to speak via telekinesis etc... Because its crazy to think with so many possible universes out there that the possible living creatures in them would always come out the same. If you know what I mean, so the idea of Pokemon doesn't seem that far fetched to me.

Just my thoughts though.

I havent read those books, but do know what happens in them and about the parallel universes. But there is one problem with Pokemon..it isn't as easy to explain because the pokemon universe has four beings that can travel through dimensions and dimensions can be universes.

And "L" pretty much explained everything in his post.

I hate it when people view Mew as a god of some sorts. The only reason they do it is because it has all the DNA of the known Pokemon (which would exclude DNA from legendaries who are very well hidden), and last I checked DNA wasn't why an ancient civilization called something a god. Mew is the scientific explanation of the Pokemon world, pretty much the evolution theory, while Arceus is pretty much creationism, or any creation story from any religion.

Believe me, you're not alone, I hated that as well (actually, I have Hated the Fact that they would consider ALL Legendary Pokemon [besides Mewtwo, of course] Gods.) I mean, In regards to Legendaries being Gods, They can't be gods since they could be captured. I mean, Gods simply cannot be captured (and by that, I don't just mean "capture them and they'll bring chaos to nature", I mean "can't capture them AT ALL!" as in you really CAN'T capture them regardless if you have the most advanced technology or not, or if you're a king or not.).

I mean, for an example of this, Let's look at the "Pirithous and Persephone" myth:

"Pirithous and Theseus, his friend, pledged to marry daughters of Zeus. Theseus chose Helen and together they kidnapped her and decided to hold onto her until she was old enough to marry. Pirithous chose Persephone. They left Helen with Theseus' mother, Aethra, and traveled to the underworld, domain of Persephone and her husband, Hades. Hades pretended to offer them hospitality and set a feast; as soon as the pair sat down, snakes coiled around their feet and held them there. Heracles was able to save Theseus from this fate when he was in the Underworld, but Hades forced Pirithous to remain seated forever."

As you see from this myth, both of them Failed to capture Persephone, and at least one of them (Pirithous) was bound for all eternity in the chair. So, this myth proves that a mortal
simply cannot capture a goddess/god.

I know people will try and use this against me, so I'll just say that Helen Most LIKELY the Gods told her and she happily went willingly and wantonly with Theseus, and thus wasn't ACTUALLY captured (hey, she's the girl with the face that launched a thousand ships and started the war on troy later on by commiting that affair after being "Kidnapped" by Paris.), so she doesn't count.

I don't know about Japanese culture (though knowing that they actually referenced Yggdrasel and Poseidon (in Kyogre's japanese name) They MIGHT have a partial belief in this as well.), But All I can say is that Gods simply cannot be captured by mortals. Many MYTHOS made that quite clear.

Also, I also don't believe pokedex entries either, they seem more like the general consensus of wikipedia to me.

Maybe the reason legendaries are called gods is because of the fact that they have a certain influence in the world that other pokies don't. And in many cultures something sacred or godly doesn't neccesarily have to be inmortal-ish ect, there have been cultures who adored animals, statues ect. and saw them as gods. It's by today's standards why the legendary pokemon can't be gods, by logic and scientific understanding or whatever, but when you look at it from another point of view, heck, the dog on the street can be looked as a god. >_> It depends on what your idea of a god is. But I agree, that by logical and analitical standards the legendaries shouldn't be considered gods, but it's obvious they are, sort of I guess, supernatural deities or something, thou, in a sense, still "mortal".

Maybe the reason legendaries are called gods is because of the fact that they have a certain influence in the world that other pokies don't. And in many cultures something sacred or godly doesn't neccesarily have to be inmortal-ish ect, there have been cultures who adored animals, statues ect. and saw them as gods. It's by today's standards why the legendary pokemon can't be gods, by logic and scientific understanding or whatever, but when you look at it from another point of view, heck, the dog on the street can be looked as a god. >_> It depends on what your idea of a god is. But I agree, that by logical and analitical standards the legendaries shouldn't be considered gods, but it's obvious they are, sort of I guess, supernatural deities or something, thou, in a sense, still "mortal".

Yeahh... About that, I just don't see it. I mean, yes, there are certain people from different ages who worship animals, but even THEIR ANIMAL DEITIES don't get captured like they were able to get captured. Besides, mostly they view their death not as actual death, but more like "Ascending to another level". You know, sort of like Heracles/Hercules' "Death".

And by the way, it wasn't just by today's standard that gods can't be captured and killed. Even back THEN they viewed the gods as being "unconquerable by any and all mortals" and being "Immortal" ("Di Immortales", which means "By the Immortal gods", comes to mind.) in latin. Otherwise, Pirithous wouldn't have been sealed up in that chair and would have succeeded in kidnapping Persephone and they would have rebelled against their "gods" and killed them in an uprising.

Also, I don't see exactly what sets legendaries from other pokemon? I mean, Raikou and Zapdos manipulating electricity? Ash's Pikachu was actually able to summon a thundercloud ALL BY ITSELF in "Showdown in Dark City", and countless Electric Types were able to do the same as well. Mewtwo, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Lugia, and Kyogre summoning a storm? A Gyarados can summon up storms as well, and A Gengar (Albeit a giant one) also summoned a storm as well. Articuno summoning a blizzard? A Snover and an Abomasnow are able to summon snowstorms as well. Groudon leveling landmasses? Ash's Pikachu actually destroyed (in other words, leveled) a mountain In a certain AG episode (Yes, an Island and a Mountain are the same thing. It's been officially labeled as the same in many science documentations. And btw, a continent is nothing more than a very huge Island.). So really, I don't see much of a distinct difference between Legendaries and certain Pokemon.

Well, i personally believe Pokemon is in another reality, or on an almost Earth like planet, because the humans don't seem as human as we do.

But I also believe that the mainstream games are the now of Pokemon, starting with Red and Ruby as the far past and ending with Gold and Pearl as the near future, and Colo and XD are the far future, like 70 years later.

Re: Pokemon
I consider it either a future Earth (for those who've read my fics it's my preferred explanation) or, at least, an alternate future. Claims by characters that pokemon have been around since whenever are easily explained that after a catastrophe of global proportions, it's likely a Dark Age made people forget what life used to be like. Hardly anyone seems to go to school ... so history isn't really well known, only history up to a certain point.

Re: Star Wars
I always thought the Paragraph Narrator was telling this story long after the events of the movie (maybe it's a really old 3PO :p). Hence, it is probably the future for us but "a long long time ago" by the narrator's perspective. I always thought Tatooine was a dried out Earth. Both planets are on a galactic edge and somewhere (in Shadows of the Empire, I think, as well as KOTOR) it said that Tatooine wasn't always desert. Yes, I know we don't have 2 suns ... but you never know what could happen. The only thing stopping Jupiter from becoming a star is not enough mass to trigger the transformation. Give it enough mass...

Re: Pokemon
I consider it either a future Earth (for those who've read my fics it's my preferred explanation) or, at least, an alternate future. Claims by characters that pokemon have been around since whenever are easily explained that after a catastrophe of global proportions, it's likely a Dark Age made people forget what life used to be like. Hardly anyone seems to go to school ... so history isn't really well known, only history up to a certain point.

Umm... Actually, I think that many of them go to school. I mean, if they didn't, then places such as the Viridian school, Pokemon Tech (although it was Anime/EToP Only), the Violet school, the Rustboro school, the Lilycove museum (which can be used as a school under certain circumstances), the Canalave Library, the Celestic Library, and also certain portions of Cyrus's backstory would never have existed. Though, yeah, maybe they forgot their origins, and even IF they had known their origins, they would rather not focus on them due to some bad memories (Like a colossal war against the Pilgrims and the natives of the planet due to at least one of the former killing a pokemon.), But I feel that it was another planet in the same galaxy.

Re: Star Wars
I always thought the Paragraph Narrator was telling this story long after the events of the movie (maybe it's a really old 3PO :p). Hence, it is probably the future for us but "a long long time ago" by the narrator's perspective. I always thought Tatooine was a dried out Earth. Both planets are on a galactic edge and somewhere (in Shadows of the Empire, I think, as well as KOTOR) it said that Tatooine wasn't always desert. Yes, I know we don't have 2 suns ... but you never know what could happen. The only thing stopping Jupiter from becoming a star is not enough mass to trigger the transformation. Give it enough mass...

you have a point on the "Long ago" part, and I would have said you were right on if it wasn't for one thing. It can't be an alternate Milky Way since they explicitly stated that it was far, far away from our own galaxy. If they said that it was far away from our own in that paragraph (if E.T. is counted as part of the star wars universe, it has to be at LEAST 3 trillion light years away from our own.), then they can't be the same galaxy.

Umm... Actually, I think that many of them go to school. I mean, if they didn't, then places such as the Viridian school, Pokemon Tech (although it was Anime/EToP Only), the Violet school, the Rustboro school, the Lilycove museum (which can be used as a school under certain circumstances), the Canalave Library, the Celestic Library, and also certain portions of Cyrus's backstory would never have existed. Though, yeah, maybe they forgot their origins, and even IF they had known their origins, they would rather not focus on them due to some bad memories (Like a colossal war against the Pilgrims and the natives of the planet due to at least one of the former killing a pokemon.), But I feel that it was another planet in the same galaxy.

While it's true that many schools exist, it seems that many of them are highly Pokemon-centric. They might not have much knowledge of their history, and so only teach the practical subjects of Pokemon raising.

you have a point on the "Long ago" part, and I would have said you were right on if it wasn't for one thing. It can't be an alternate Milky Way since they explicitly stated that it was far, far away from our own galaxy. If they said that it was far away from our own in that paragraph (if E.T. is counted as part of the star wars universe, it has to be at LEAST 3 trillion light years away from our own.), then they can't be the same galaxy.

The point was that it was long long ago from the narrator's time period. It is therefore implied that the galaxy is far far away from the narrator's. Since we've considered that the narrator is not from our time, what makes you think they have to be from our galaxy?

While it's true that many schools exist, it seems that many of them are highly Pokemon-centric. They might not have much knowledge of their history, and so only teach the practical subjects of Pokemon raising.

Only the ones we are exposed to. They are trying to advertise Pokemon, so I doubt Nintendo wants to remind little kids about "regular" school.

I doubt a travelling Pokemon trainer in the games, or the anime would bother stopping by a regular school, while a Pokemon school on the otherhand could be quite a different story.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom