• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokémon localised by different groups of people than other Nintendo-published games?

Nitro Indigo

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on the industry, so I don't know at what point in production games are usually localised nowadays, but I've had this hypothesis ever since I watched Thomas Game Docs' video about Pokémon games in Spanish. The cliff-notes version is that during the 7th generation, most Nintendo-published games got separate American and European Spanish translations, except for Pokémon. Additionally, I've noticed that Nintendo started translating games into Russian and Dutch after the release of the Wii U, but you can't get Pokémon games in those either.

However, if this Did You Know Gaming video is anything to go by, this wasn't always the case. Red and Blue were translated into French by an established member of Nintendo of Europe (he voiced Luigi in Mario Kart 64), and into Italian by two people who were given lists of words out-of-context and told to translate them. (Also, they were told they'd be translating it from German, which was already translated from the English script. This is Inception-levels of recursion.)

I don't know either, but I believe so, because the Pokémon Company, since the Fire Red and Leaf Green games, has been involved in the Publications of Pokémon games. Thus, Nintendo must have a specific team that works together with Pokémon Company, which perhaps should be responsible for the translations.

Also! I just remembered, there are a few instances of "non-English European versions" of some main series games having localisation differences, like the Victory Road B1F ledge in Ruby and Sapphire or Registeel's sprite in Diamond and Pearl. I don't know if the different translations of RSE were on the same cartridge*, but the translations of DP definitely were because the DS has a built-in language setting. Wouldn't it take more effort to program the game so that certain assets will only appear when the game is set to certain languages?

*According to a Legends of Localization comment I read once, there was a GBA Fire Emblem game whose European translations were spread across two cartridges due to the sheer amount of text. I wouldn't be surprised if the same applied to mainline Pokémon.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom