• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Is Pokemon losing steam?

XY and ORAS were laggy too.
That was for the old 3DS. If you played it on the New 3DS, the games were fine.
What kind of new 3DS did you have? I played Moon and Ultra Sun exclusively on a New 3DS and the camera angles changed during a battle it would drop to about 2 FPS until the camera changed again.

Unless you meant the Gen VI games. Those ran slightly better on a New 3DS than the original despite having the same camera angles.

XY and ORAS were laggy too.

What kind of new 3DS did you have? I played Moon and Ultra Sun exclusively on a New 3DS and the camera angles changed during a battle it would drop to about 2 FPS until the camera changed again.

Unless you meant the Gen VI games. Those ran slightly better on a New 3DS than the original despite having the same camera angles.
New 3DS Xl

but when have pokemon games every been impressive for any platform?

Generation V and VII look pretty good for their respective hardware, though it took another generation on the same console for them to get there.

And I’m not just talking visuals, I mean features and content as well.

I do think that the MMORPG-like features in the game can be considered a huge change for the franchise, even in the way they shown it to the press/us through the press. For better or worse, we’ll have to wait and see, but I do feel it’s the first step of a revolutionary system for the games.

I also think that this feature influenced the quality of the graphics and the details they placed in the Wild Areas, as the normal routes and cities look distinctly better then the former. I’m going to wait and see after the games are out, although it’s not a full justification for GF, as they have the funds to implement their MMORPG vision without compromising too much the graphic department. Maybe it’s also due to lack of experience with main platforms like the Switch.

I also think that we have to wait for release to judge their ‘most ambitious’ claims, because we do know really little of the games due to their new approach. The previews gave me a good vibe, And ironically, the graphics not being that impressive, coupled with the file size of the games might mean the games are packed with content, but we’ll see.

They are however behind in certain things like multiple saves, and difficulty levels, or toggles to enhance difficulties (one I really want is at least making the fight with leaders and main rivals on par in terms of number of Pokémon in battle). There are ways for us to io the difficulty ourselves, but they might not always work or are frustrating (for example, if I want to use the same number of Pokémon in battle then main characters, I have to use the forced reload if I lose the number of Pokémon my opponent has, while I simple toggle might work best).

While I’m not that opposed in theory to the forced Exp share, because they might’ve built the leveling system around it, it’s a thing that will limit the ways we can up the difficulty of the game, which isn’t good if the developers themselves don’t offer us any way to make the games harder.

as a brand I feel like pokemon is more widely known than its ever been, so I wouldn't say its losing steam no.

For game quality, well the 3DS games feel like a weird period for the franchise where criticism became more prevalent and the games were overall more divisive than ever. I personally attribute that to gamefreak's switch to 3D, and having to dedicate so much resources into including all pokemon leading to other aspects/features not being as worked on or realized.

It remains to be seen but I have a feeling Sw/Sh will renew faith in the franchise for a lot of people by being a huge improvement over the 3DS generations

I've been around since the very beginning, well, since 1998 when it first came to the States. So from that perspective, Pokemon has been losing steam ever since the end of Gen 2/start of Gen 3. Even being the "#1 most profitable franchise of all time" or whatever Wikipedia called it, it's been downgraded to more of a "cult status" as opposed to the worldwide phenomenon it once was.

And I'm actually okay with that. It's not that I enjoy being a hipster, but moreso that the series can be held to constructive criticism now. In spite of all the Dexit drama, I appreciate that fans of the series can be more analytical and pick apart the series' flaws instead of just being mindless consumers and taking everything at face value. Because it makes for a better product on the other end. That's why, even though I'm picking up Sword without much regret, I have no problem with people who are voting the other way with their wallets as long as neither side is shaming the other.

Pokemon makes for a great game, but a lousy god ;)

I've been around since the very beginning, well, since 1998 when it first came to the States. So from that perspective, Pokemon has been losing steam ever since the end of Gen 2/start of Gen 3. Even being the "#1 most profitable franchise of all time" or whatever Wikipedia called it, it's been downgraded to more of a "cult status" as opposed to the worldwide phenomenon it once was
I actually don’t really agree. Aging doesn’t inherently mean “losing steam”. I would definitely not go as far as to classify it as a “cult status” either. I actually see it as far more popular now than it was when I was in high school 6 years ago. And, in fact, it has proven that it can still become a worldwide phenomenon again as it did with Pokémon Go.

I actually don’t really agree. Aging doesn’t inherently mean “losing steam”. I would definitely not go as far as to classify it as a “cult status” either. I actually see it as far more popular now than it was when I was in high school 6 years ago. And, in fact, it has proven that it can still become a worldwide phenomenon again as it did with Pokémon Go.
Touche ;) I regret not mentioning Pokemon Go in my last post - I just didn't know where it fit in.

"Cult status" probably wasn't the best choice of words. I just remember when it was, like, THE thing, making the cover of TIME magazine and everything. I don't know exactly how to describe it now. It's not one of the "pillars of media" like Star Wars, but it's definitely still in the collective consciousness, moreso now thanks to the Go boom. I think the point still stands that it can be more rationally analyzed and critiqued now because it's not what it once was. That fits my understanding of "losing steam" but that's a debatable term too.

Touche ;) I regret not mentioning Pokemon Go in my last post - I just didn't know where it fit in.

"Cult status" probably wasn't the best choice of words. I just remember when it was, like, THE thing, making the cover of TIME magazine and everything. I don't know exactly how to describe it now. It's not one of the "pillars of media" like Star Wars, but it's definitely still in the collective consciousness, moreso now thanks to the Go boom. I think the point still stands that it can be more rationally analyzed and critiqued now because it's not what it once was. That fits my understanding of "losing steam" but that's a debatable term too.
Yeah, this I agree with. Though, I am curious how you would classify a “pillar of media”. This may sound blasphemous to some, but I actually think Pokémon is approaching if not at the same level as Star Wars. It just doesn’t span appeal with as many generations (yet?).

Maybe it has to do with mine being an early New 3DS XL, then. I got it a month or two right after it came out.
it should have nothing to do with it. neither SM nor USUM were optimized to utilize the extra power in the New 3DS line.
Generation V and VII look pretty good for their respective hardware, though it took another generation on the same console for them to get there.

And I’m not just talking visuals, I mean features and content as well.
i'm not talking about whether or not the games have looked good; i'm talking about impressive. even if you want to include features and content, beyond Pokemon's initial debut there's nothing the series has done that has been really all that incredible.

Yeah, this I agree with. Though, I am curious how you would classify a “pillar of media”. This may sound blasphemous to some, but I actually think Pokémon is approaching if not at the same level as Star Wars. It just doesn’t span appeal with as many generations (yet?).
Maybe it has something to do with being in the States. In Japan I would say Pokémon is a pillar. I mean they’re even on manhole covers over there! And I love it :)

Here, it’s still more “niche”. I still don’t know if I’m using the best terminology, but its fan base has become more concentrated to me now than the late 90s/early 2000s.

Am I crazy or is this the third time this has been posted here?
Don't get why that matters they're honestly right on the nail especially what the end result of what SW&SH will possibly be an ok passable game like Gen 7 was nothing too amazing just ok despite the obvious flaws it has.

Don't get why that matters they're honestly right on the nail especially what the end result of what SW&SH will possibly be an ok passable game like Gen 7 was nothing too amazing just ok despite the obvious flaws it has.
I think you’re misunderstanding. What they were pointing out was that exact post had apparently been posted and deleted and reposted several times. Not that the point had been made already.

Maybe it has something to do with being in the States. In Japan I would say Pokémon is a pillar. I mean they’re even on manhole covers over there! And I love it :)

Here, it’s still more “niche”. I still don’t know if I’m using the best terminology, but its fan base has become more concentrated to me now than the late 90s/early 2000s.
I wouldn't agree with "niche"- Digimon is niche. Pokemon really is more on the level of Star Wars- it's just not a huge craze like it was in the 90s, or even like it was briefly when GO's popularity peaked.

Yeah, but if you ask anyone's great grandma who hasn't seen Star Wars in her life because she was too old for it in the 70s....she can at least name more than one character and not call everyone Luke Skywalker or Darth Vader.

Just going by that scale alone, Pokemon isn't on the same level. But a lot of video games are niche to begin with compared to movies.

The newest Sword and Shield Expansion Pass trailer doesn't look too impressive. It feels more like an overpriced patch than a DLC, not worth the $30. I mean at least with other DLC games such as Skyrim and Fallout 4, you get your money's worth, especially when there's a lot to do in the main game itself. With SwSh however, it just feels less like an effort made game like games before and more of a cash grab. The DLC makes Gen 7 look better. The only things that are worth appreciating is the returning Pokemon, that's it. The ''Galarian Star Tournament'' was something that should have been in the original game, and the Regional Forms is just GF grasping straws at this point.

If they were really out of ideas, they should have just said they are not making any more new Pokemon games in order to recharge their creative ideas, and are instead focusing on remakes instead.

Yes, I will be giving them a try, but after what happened with SwSh, I'm doubtful that they will ever improve. Even the things fake leakers come up with sound more entertaining than what GF originally did.

The newest Sword and Shield Expansion Pass trailer doesn't look too impressive. It feels more like an overpriced patch than a DLC, not worth the $30. I mean at least with other DLC games such as Skyrim and Fallout 4, you get your money's worth, especially when there's a lot to do in the main game itself. With SwSh however, it just feels less like an effort made game like games before and more of a cash grab.
I think it is too early to make a definitive statement on the worth of the DLC. Originally I was wary of the DLC and felt it wouldn't have enough content to justify the price tag. However, the most recent trailer looks like the DLC has more content than I thought. The areas look much larger than expected (though of course that could just be trailer magic).
The DLC makes Gen 7 look better.
Eh, I disagree here. I mean, the second pair of games in gen 7 were basically just third versions--I wouldn't exactly say that's any better than what we currently know of the DLC.
The only things that are worth appreciating is the returning Pokemon, that's it. The ''Galarian Star Tournament'' was something that should have been in the original game, and the Regional Forms is just GF grasping straws at this point.
That's all your opinion, though. And how are regional forms "grasping at straws"?
If they were really out of ideas, they should have just said they are not making any more new Pokemon games in order to recharge their creative ideas, and are instead focusing on remakes instead.
How is the DLC is any way proof that GameFreak is running out of ideas? Much of the stuff in the DLC is unique to the DLC. I mean, I don't recall any previous games having a quest line where you go into one of two towers to train a little legendary in order to evolve it, for example. If GameFreak was truly out of ideas, I figure the DLC wouldn't even exist; instead we'd probably have something like a third version that's essentially an enhanced version a la Platinum, Emerald, or even USUM.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom