• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is Pokemon XD and Colosseum considered Spin off?

Their in the console main series of battle sims, but relative to the handheld games their spin offs.

I wouldn't say so darling, they're both more like roleplaying games than spin-offs. ^.-

They are considered spin offs but they are similar in the main games in that they have a story mode to beat, they also connect to the main games and you can trade Pokemon to and from them and use your Pokemon in the main games in the battle modes. They are a Battle sim+game with a story.

I consider them spin-offs. D8 If it's not a handheld console main-game with Gyms, an Evil Team, and an Elite 4 and Champion, with a Pokedex on top, it's a spin-off.

I honestly made an account here just to add to this, admittedly old thread... I don't get it myself.

Literally, the only thing this game is missing from the main series is having an Elite Four and Champion and an actual Pokedex... (and even then it had the Shadow Monitor which was this game's version of it). EVERYTHING else is present and then some. Trades, a storyline... literally the exact same battle mechanics.

But these differences are so small that it almost doesn't make sense to consider it a spinoff... is it the Shadow Mechanics? But haven't all versions had their gameplay quirks and differences?

Is it because it wasn't for a handheld console? I don't get that either... what if Nintendo and Game Freak made an actual Pokemon game, 100% identical to the handheld versions (heck, let's even say it's a carbon copy of RGBY for the current home console) would that make said game a spinoff to most people simply because it isn't on a handheld?

I'm sorry but all of this logic doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If it's about a different developer in these games taking their part, don't other games switch developers on occasion but still remain canon? How is Pokemon so different?

It's pretty similar in terms of gameplay, but it's missing several key aspects in the gameplay and storyline such as the Pokedex, gyms, and the Pokemon League. So yes, that is a spinoff.

It's pretty similar in terms of gameplay, but it's missing several key aspects in the gameplay and storyline such as the Pokedex, gyms, and the Pokemon League. So yes, that is a spinoff.
Pokemon sun and Moon have no gyms... So their spin-offs?

I consider anything not by GF a spinoff, so I'd say yes. I do understand why people would consider them "main" series though, due to their strong connectivity with the main series games.

I'd love to see them remade for the Switch or 3DS, as I really enjoyed the Orre titles. I think it'd be pretty fun to go back to them with the modernized system.

Pokemon sun and Moon have no gyms... So their spin-offs?

SM don't have gyms, but they have something similar and they have other main series defining features like the Pokedex and the Pokemon League. Colosseum and XD don't have the same kind of structure as other regions. Basically, the main series is more about adventuring around the region trying to be the best trainer and defeating the evil team is secondary. In Colosseum and XD, it's the other way around.

Why wouldn't they be classed as spin offs? I assumed we were all of the understanding that the core series games are those that are created by Gamefreak, following the typical journey of the player character on their Pokemon journey, while any other Pokemon game not created by Gamefreak are side series games/spin off games/whatever you want to call it games. I've never seen anything refer to Pokemon Colosseum or Pokemon XD as anything other than spin off titles.

I'm having a blast with the XD hack. It's the same game, but with updated mechanics and a larger roster of critters. What is not to love? Aside from the random name changes, that is.

It's a shame that Game Freak more or less ignores Orre. Even if Shadow Pokemon were taken out of the equation and Cipher became a non-issue, I think it'd still be a cool place to revisit in the Megaverse. I loved the western feel of places like the Outskirt Stand and Pyrite Town.

Game Freak had nothing to do with the Orre series. They were developed by Genius Sonority, whose most recent Pokemon game is Shuffle.

It's a shame that Game Freak more or less ignores Orre. Even if Shadow Pokemon were taken out of the equation and Cipher became a non-issue, I think it'd still be a cool place to revisit in the Megaverse. I loved the western feel of places like the Outskirt Stand and Pyrite Town.

Ah no, I'd wanna keep the Shadow Pokemon for three reasons:

1. Another boxart Shadow Pokemon like XD001.
2. Shadow Mega evolutions
3. Shadow Z-Moves.

Game Freak had nothing to do with the Orre series. They were developed by Genius Sonority, whose most recent Pokemon game is Shuffle.

Exactly, and I think that's why Game Freak ignores it. Orre wasn't designed by them, so it's not considered canon to the main series. Such a shame. :(
Ah no, I'd wanna keep the Shadow Pokemon for three reasons:

1. Another boxart Shadow Pokemon like XD001.
2. Shadow Mega evolutions
3. Shadow Z-Moves.

Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. Another redesigned legendary a la XD001 would be cool enough, but SHADOW Z-MOVES? It fits alarmingly well considering Z-Powered Pokemon radiate an aura in a way that's not unlike Shadow Pokemon. You're making me hurt for something I didn't even know I wanted.

I mean, they're technically spinoffs on account of being developed by Genius Sonority instead of Game Freak, having a different structure (focusing more on the plot than your average main series game,) and being on a completely different platform.

And yet, me personally, I consider them canon. Orre is a fantastically designed region, there is lore to be mined there and doesn't contradict the established canon, the gameplay is similar enough to the main series games to set it apart from, say, the Stadium games, and it's just generally great fun. It doesn't step on any other game's toes, so why not treat it as canon?

Also, I want a sequel to XD. Just cuz.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom