• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is the DP Anime following the games more closely than previous seasons?

Sunain

Inactive Account
Reaction score
As DP and the anime have been out for over half a year now and many of us have watched and beat the games, it appears to me that the DP anime is following the layout of the games more closely then it has in previous seasons.

Indigo seemed to follow the layout of Red/Blue quite well but the anime seemed to waver from Orange League all the way through to the end of the Hoenn League. Battle Frontier seemed to be quite accurate when compared to Pokemon Emerald but that was to be expected.

DP though really seems to be focusing on tying the anime/games closer then they have in many years. Many of the 'filler' episodes seem to be dedicated to characters that are in the game, rather then creating a character of the day.

Cheryl is a great example of this, having just had a mini arc dedicated to this character. In the game, Cheryl joins your group in the Eterna Forest just like it occurred to Satoshi-tachi. The anime actually uses the basic character design from the games and expands the character to fit the storyline for the anime.

Most recently, Hikari's Buoysel refuses to do the moves she commands. In the games, a pokemon that is too powerful (too high a level) will not listen to the trainer and the trainer must beat a certain gym to receive the ability to control that pokemon properly. Now we saw this with Ash in the Indigo league with the Charmander evolution and now that he is the Battle Frontier champion, Charizard obeys him fully. As we saw in the episode (DP35), Goyo was able to control Buizel no problem as he probably has the necessary experience to do so. This is exactly how the game operates.

I'm sure there are other examples from this season that could be discussed or perhaps you believe that it's not following the games more closely then in previous seasons.

Point for: Happiny egg.

Point against: Team Galactic... paging Team Galactic...

but the anime seemed to waver from Orange League all the way through to the end of the Hoenn League.

Hoenn started off adapting almost all of the game oriented areas, it was only when we got to Fortree City and beyond that they started ignoring stuff from the games. Hoenn ignored Mt. Pyre and the geography of the later areas, but otherwise we saw a ton of game areas adapted into the anime. Hell, even Pacigfiglog town or whatever the hell that town was called was where May had her final Hoenn Contest.

Hoenn even adapted those minor areas like the Trick House, the Winstrate family, and Granite cave and made episodes out of them.

Battle Frontier seemed to be quite accurate when compared to Pokemon Emerald but that was to be expected.

By accurate do you mean...not very faithful? The anime ignored all the special rules of the Frontier Brains from Emerald. Not to mention placing the Brains in Kanto instead of in Hoenn.

DP though really seems to be focusing on tying the anime/games closer then they have in many years. Many of the 'filler' episodes seem to be dedicated to characters that are in the game, rather then creating a character of the day.

Uh, they're still creating many filler characters. Nando, those tag battle brothers, etc. It was nice to see Cheryl, but I don't know if those other game characters will be featured.

I'm sure there are other examples from this season that could be discussed or perhaps you believe that it's not following the games more closely then in previous seasons.

I think its the same amount as usual, but we're still only 35 episodes into the saga. We have no idea what's coming in the next three years so its too early to judge how game oriented its going to be.

Likewise, anyone find it funny that the anime ignores almost everything from the Super Contests from the games and treat them just like AG's Contests? When making a thread about the anime following the game, how could you forget that the dress-up and dancing segments were excluded from the anime?

And...Team Galactic...

Uh, they're still creating many filler characters. Nando, those tag battle brothers, etc. It was nice to see Cheryl, but I don't know if those other game characters will be featured.
I cannot think of anytime in all the series where we have a secondary character join the group for multiple episodes and follow a plot similar to the game like Cheryl. As for filler characters that are anime only, there has definitely been a significant reduction in this department and its quite noticeable. I believe Nando was also based off a character in the games as well. I'll have to double check. Nando is also a reoccurring character, not a one timer.

When making a thread about the anime following the game, how could you forget that the dress-up and dancing segments were excluded from the anime?
In the games, contests are a secondary event just like they are in the anime, not required to beat the game nor the league so the fact that they continued doing contests as well as non-circuit contests shows that they are definitely doing their best to integrate contests in the anime in a way that is interesting to the viewer. DP has already shown with Hikari's dresses, different hair styles and Pokeball seals that the 'dress-up section' is covered in the anime unlike Haruka who never changed outfits.

And...Team Galactic...
I'm sure there will be a mini arc dedicated to them which will hopefully revolve around the 3 lakes and 3 legendaries later on in the anime. They did skip the whole Valley Windworks but the reason we won't see much of Team Galactic in DP is similar to Aqua/Magma, Team Rocket is a main character in the anime series. In this case I believe the games are at fault by not having Team Rocket Agents in other regions if Team Rocket is suppost to be a global organization. We may find out that Pokemon Hunter J is a faction of Team Galactic or works with them.

Last edited:
Showing the E4 in by episode 35 gets major points, imo.

I believe Nando was also based off a character in the games as well. I'll have to double check. Nando is also a reoccurring character, not a one timer.
I don't think so.

Most recently, Hikari's Buoysel refuses to do the moves she commands. In the games, a pokemon that is too powerful (too high a level) will not listen to the trainer and the trainer must beat a certain gym to receive the ability to control that pokemon properly. Now we saw this with Ash in the Indigo league with the Charmander evolution and now that he is the Battle Frontier champion, Charizard obeys him fully. As we saw in the episode (DP35), Goyo was able to control Buizel no problem as he probably has the necessary experience to do so. This is exactly how the game operates.

You missed the part where Buizel listens to Dawn's commands at the end of the ep after Goyou tells her what she was doing wrong. And it's implied Buizel will continue to be more cooperative from now on. Goyou did mention that Dawn and Buizel's teamwork "could not be called perfect" even at the end, but he added that they would become stronger, meaning at least they ARE a team now. And without Dawn getting any badges or any such thing like that.

I cannot think of anytime in all the series where we have a secondary character join the group for multiple episodes and follow a plot similar to the game like Cheryl.
Technically, Todd. But the concept was new to gameplay so that can hardly be used against the pre-DP anime.
They did skip the whole Valley Windworks
Wasn't that used for the Suicune episode?

Yeah, it was.

They just left out TG and made a new story around it.

Hoenn started off adapting almost all of the game oriented areas, it was only when we got to Fortree City and beyond that they started ignoring stuff from the games. Hoenn ignored Mt. Pyre and the geography of the later areas, but otherwise we saw a ton of game areas adapted into the anime. Hell, even Pacigfiglog town or whatever the hell that town was called was where May had her final Hoenn Contest.

Hoenn even adapted those minor areas like the Trick House, the Winstrate family, and Granite cave and made episodes out of them.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Kantou seemed to skim over a few things from the games itself, the most major example likely being the lack of Silph Co. (and that seems pretty damn important in the game's plot, or what little exists of it), as well as any direct conflict with Sakaki. As Orion might argue, Jouto was probably the most faithful region to the games (even if it did take about a million filler episodes to get from one game event to the next), ignoring the Kantou tie-ins of course.

Yeah, they didn't even mention Silph, but they gave an episode to Devon and the Poketch company.

I cannot think of anytime in all the series where we have a secondary character join the group for multiple episodes and follow a plot similar to the game like Cheryl.

You're forgetting Todd from Kanto, who joined for three episodes to advertise Pokemon Snap.

As for filler characters that are anime only, there has definitely been a significant reduction in this department and its quite noticeable. I believe Nando was also based off a character in the games as well. I'll have to double check. Nando is also a reoccurring character, not a one timer.

There's been new filler characters introduced just about every other episode. D/P is going to be at least 130 something episodes long, there is DEFINITELY going to be countless filler characters introduced in that time.

DP has already shown with Hikari's dresses, different hair styles and Pokeball seals that the 'dress-up section' is covered in the anime unlike Haruka who never changed outfits.

They've still ignored the Pokemon dress-up appeals as well as the dancing segments. They probably cut those out because they can't find a way to do them in the show, but they don't even call them Super Contests, they're just called Contests.

They essentially run exactly the same as AG's Contests, with the same judges, the same appeal stages, and the same battle sequences.

They've still ignored the Pokemon dress-up appeals as well as the dancing segments. They probably cut those out because they can't find a way to do them in the show, but they don't even call them Super Contests, they're just called Contests.

it could've been possible, though. If I were working on the show, I would've gotten a bit creative while at the same time having it resemble the stylus as used in gameplay (much like Hinata's Capture Styler). I would've brought in the concept of digitally storing items (it is possible in the anime if Mondo's item bag from the Rocket Dan radio drama is any indication), have Hikari use something resembling a DS (if not her own Pokemon Zukan) to bring these stored items onto a screen, absorb them with a stylus, and then use it like a laser pointer to zap them onto specific areas of her Pokemon.

Oh yeah, just in case anyone decides to bring it up, I'm under the belief that the battle portion of contests aren't exactly exclusive to the anime. They really just seem to be a more entertaining portrayal of the final portion of contests, in which your character has to try appealing to judges while jamming their opponents at the same time (though, it kinda lost the point when several of the contests ended up looking like some quick KO fest -_-).

Its funny how the writers turned the seals into Pokemon Contest accessories, whereas in the games I don't think you can even use them in Contests and you use them in normal battles.

Please note: The thread is from 17 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom