• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is the Pokemon Anime Really Based on Stand By Me?

Enzito

Reaction score
So I came across a post one day that claimed that Takeshi Shudo or some other writer claimed that the anime is isnpired by the 1986 film Stand by Me, I haven't seen the film, but from the plot I read, it barely sounds like anything that happens in the anime. Would anyone confirm is this inspiration is true or not?

In pokemon red and blue the TV references this movie but I don't think the anime is based on it.

Stand By Me does feature four boys aged around 12 traveling together... but it is a mature film with coarse language and inappropriate behavior that you don't want an average five-year-old to see. Also, it is an adaptation of a Stephen King novel, and almost none of his novels are kid-friendly in the first place. So, I highly doubt the franchise would want to go too far in a child-unfriendly film to adapt in an adult-unfriendly anime asides one brief shout-out in RGB that you wouldn't actually understand until you're older (or mistake this for another film with four boys and a railroad track).

I remember I texted something like this in the forum. This information can be checked in Takeshi Shudo's blog in last part of "Episode 142 Pokemon Musical?" and in "Episode 143 Pokemon Episodes 1 and 2 Aired". Pokemon anime's themes are inspired by Stand by Me. According to Takeshi Shudo both Stand by Me movie and Pokemon anime's themes are adventurous spirit, friendship and nostalgia of boyhood. Adventurous spirit and friendship are easy to notice and common in many anime. About nostalgia; for Takeshi Shudo the most impressive scene of the movie is the scene where the boys walk on the railroad track so, he thought that the world of Pokemon would depict a period of nostalgic adventures experienced by children and it makes Pokemon anime is an adventure in the Pokemon world in the fantasy of memories. This theme explains why are every Nurse Joy or Officer Jenny is same, why doesn't characters age up and more... One of the Takeshi Shudo's plans for anime's final episode can be related to the nostalgia theme also. "Elderly Ash remembers everything that happened during his adventures as a young boy."
I don't want to make further speculation because I don't know Japanese and I don't want to spread false information that can be based on automatic translation.
I wish to read a proper translation. If people can read it, we can discuss better.
It would be a nice thread.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom