• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there a logical reason behind the anime not featuring ost from seasons 1-13 anymore?

SinnohBoi

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
I understood why they wouldn't use it in Best Wishes, however, using ost from recent seasons doesn't feel like a novelty anymore, rather a huge flaw. Surely it's time to bring it back in Galar?

We don't really know for sure but the older music stopped being used right around the time Kadokawa Corporation acquired Media Factory back in 2011, effectively killing off the Pikachu Records label. Sony Music Entertainment / Overlap handle all the music releases now so the whole thing might be a rights issue where the latter is not allowed access to the former's catalog.

(The older music is still used in variety shows like Pokenchi, however. But live action variety shows in Japan also have an amazingly cavalier attitude when it comes to using whatever the hell music they want, legal red tape be damned)

Ya know, I've always wondered about this too. Always thought it was a creative choice to stop using the older pieces as a way to further show the "reboot" aspect of Best Wishes. Or I could be reading too much into it lol.

They used Sinnoh music for Ash's Grand Trial against Hala.

Don't think there's really anything stopping them from using, they just choose not to in most cases.

They've also used the TRio's DP motto music at least twice since then.

Wish they'd lift this music moratorium already, I wanna hear all the old, best tunes again! I was hoping M20 would at least liberate some of the remixed OS OSTs, but that hasn't really happened.

If they really lost the rights to original music, they couldn't made new versions of those music, I think. So, I doubt that there is any problem with royalties.

They used Sinnoh music for Ash's Grand Trial against Hala.

Don't think there's really anything stopping them from using, they just choose not to in most cases.

That was a remake of that OST from the first XY movie I recall though, but yeah your probably right about that.

We don't really know for sure but the older music stopped being used right around the time Kadokawa Corporation acquired Media Factory back in 2011, effectively killing off the Pikachu Records label. Sony Music Entertainment / Overlap handle all the music releases now so the whole thing might be a rights issue where the latter is not allowed access to the former's catalog.

(The older music is still used in variety shows like Pokenchi, however. But live action variety shows in Japan also have an amazingly cavalier attitude when it comes to using whatever the hell music they want, legal red tape be damned)

Sorry about the late response, but isn't it then hypocritical of the fanbase to call out TPCI for replacing music due to licensing issues (as it's separated from dubbing the show) but not the japan production for doing the same? Likewise, could they not just re-score the more prominent BGM like they did for the 20th movie? I find it incredibly frustrating on both ends to be honest.

I'll be honest I find the older stuff more memorial than the new stuff. Though one of the best things to come from SM was a remix of one of the OG tracks

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom