• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Is there an Japanese-Western fan opinion divide affecting things?

Except that it will, Masuda himself said on Nintendo Everything that he wants to make Let's Go the basis for the next 20 years of Pokemon.

Let's break down that quote, because its a very bad interpration.

The biggest thing I feel with Let’s Go is really hoping that it’s going to serve as sort of a base or starting point for the next 20 years of Pokémon. I really think it’s important that Pokémon continues to be a positive force in the world – makes people happier, enriches their lives through a variety of ways.

Pokemon Red and Blue were a phenomenon. Every initial release since Gen 3 has been static, give or take a few thousand. Pokemon GO was as big a resurgence as Red and Blue. When he says he hopes Pokemon continues to stay positive force, he is referring to the brand. He is saying he hopes GO allows the series to stay profitable for another 20 years. Let's Go is dealing directly with GO and is associated with Kanto, so he is starting things off for kids the way a lot of us started out playing with everything simplified and then evolving. This could lead to new gamers who will be able to easily beat a Pokemon game and won't have as much trouble figuring out what to do later. A lot of kids gave up on Sinnoh and got lost. This is laying a foundation and doing it in a way longtime fans can avoid. Continuing:

But I don’t think it needs to be a consistent, unchanging experience necessarily. I think there’s still a lot of room to explore variety, not only through the main series of games but also through the more spinoff titles.

He is also pointing out that Let's Go is laying the foundation to try new things, and specifically says that "I don't think it needs to be consistent." What makes you think that means all games will be Let's Go inspired after this? Because that would be just as static. A more generous interpretation, would be this news update Serebii posted on what Ishihara has said:

The Pokémon Company CEO, Tsunekazu Ishihara who provided a few minor tidbits about the upcoming Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch due out in 2019. He reconfirmed that this game is due for release in the second half of 2019, will have better graphics than any prior Pokémon game, that it'll be completely new aimed at experienced fans, not like Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee and states that it will contain many brand new Pokémon.

If you click on the sources of the page you linked to, you eventually get this from Masuda:

It prioritized Pokémon’s rising mascot, Pikachu, and incorporated characters and themes from the animated TV show to “better really resonate with young kids,” Masuda says.

He also has this to say:

Pokémon Director, Junichi Masuda spoke about the the prospect of an open world Pokémon game in a Q&A with European press after the announcement of Let’s Go Pikachu and Eevee.

“With the Pokémon games, I'm sure you all know we're always trying to make them fun and appealing for players of all ages, not just to older players and not just to kids,” Masuda said. “So, I can't really commit either way but, if we find a way—I think it's possible—if we were to find a way to preserve the fun and kind of broad appeal of Pokémon, and also have that kind of more open gameplay, then that is one possibility. It's hard to say right now.”

Screenshot_20181016-232058_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232112_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee is ripping off the bandaid that teaches us what to expect with a mainline game. Masuda is referring to is trying new ideas to reach more fans. He never said he wants to make all future games simplified, just that it could effect the business structure. The current strategy is dividing mainline games into a a kid targeted game and an experienced fan targeted game. You all are using his words in the most uncharitable way without looking into any of it, even when shown things straight from his and, more importantly, Ishihara's mouth. From Bulbapedia:

Tsunekazu Ishihara (Tsunekaz also seen; Japanese: 石原恒和 Ishihara Tsunekazu, born on November 27, 1957) is president and CEO of The Pokémon Company and producer of Pokémon. He manages all aspects of the Pokémon franchise including the anime, games, and the TCG.

Ishihara controls what gets made and what doesn't. And what is Ishihara saying?

The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game from Pokémon Let’s Go. It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to.

The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokémon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

We want to make Pokémon fans say “this is what I’ve been waiting for” by delivering a brand-new product packed with gameplay elements and plenty of new Pokémon to encounter.

This is succeeding traditions, but in a different way. This fits with Masuda's words without meaning every game for the next 20 years is going to be a variation of Let's Go.

If the new base like LGPE, they will not want to see its features disappear.

That's why they purposefully didn't put any features in and removed some. Sneaky. :p

(I kid, but you're right. I'm guessing following Pokemon, at the very least, will be here to stay.)

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom