• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

zakisrage

SAEV DEH WHALEZ!
Reaction score
I don't mean English dubs of anime. I am referring to anime that you don't even like the Japanese version of.

Hetalia is one example. I don't find the humour to be in the best taste. I'm not going into a rant; I'll just say that it's the same reason why I hate Family Guy.

Bakugan is also bad. I just thought that it was a Pokemon clone that wasn't entertaining. It really took away from the viewers, and it was just boring. After watching it a few time, I decided that I'd never watch it ever again.

Even though I liked the Tower of Druaga game (and its sequel, The Return of Ishtar), the anime was awful. I was disappointed that Gil, the hero of the game, was relegated to an insipid side character (and Ki was dead). Jil, the new hero, didn't strike me as too interesting. Fatina is a shallow love interest at best, and evil at worst. Kaaya was better, and at least they game someone a connection to Gil and Ki! (She's their great-granddaughter - since this takes place 80 years later, Gil is probably at least 95.) Neeba was just annoying. And we barely even get to see Druaga. That had to be a huge letdown! Look up the game artwork for Druaga - he looks awesome!

I really didn't like the anime Mario movie. For those who don't know that it exists, it's called Super Mario Bros: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen and came out in 1986. While it is definitely much better than the infamous live-action Mario movie (and has better animation than the Mario cartoon), the anime Mario has a lot of flaws. The Koopa Troopas in the movie are hideous and look rather birdlike - definitely far from the cute Koopas of nowadays. Though I get that back then, Koopas were ugly and walked on all fours - and were always evil. (I'm a huge fan of Koopa Troopa - I have a plush one at home!) It also doesn't make sense that Mario and Luigi work in a grocery store. It was also hilarious hearing Bowser's voice (in this film, he is voiced by Akiko Wada, a woman.), which is pretty bad, but hilarious nonetheless. But the biggest letdown is the ending. When Mario rescues Princess Peach, it turns out he can't have her. The stupid dog that followed them around turns back into a prince named Prince Haru and proceeds to tell Mario that he and Peach are engaged. Mario is very upset about this, and I think you can understand why. He spent all this time trying to save Peach from Bowser and he CAN'T have her just so some uncanonical character can? WTF? Luckily, Nintendo has pretty much ignored Prince Haru's existence (by never putting him in the games) and made sure that Princess Peach is always paired up with Mario. (I do admit that I love the love song in the movie.)

Which anime do you dislike even the Japanese version of? (Just don't name Pokemon - I don't want to see this post get locked.)

Last edited:
Oh gosh there are a lot.

Hetalia was funny at first, but quickly became something I couldn't stand, mostly because of the fanbase.

Then there was the very first anime OVA ever made, Dallos. Although the music and animation were generally okay, the plot and just about everything else was utter garbage. Thankfully it was only four episodes but since I had to download it to watch it, I now have it stuck on my computer. Oh well, I do like the visuals and clarinet music of the opening (sometimes I watch just the opening and imagine what it could have been lol).

Dears was another somewhat abysmal series about slave girls or something. I watched it a long time ago and the protagonist was a jerk and the only character I was fond of was the homely looking neighbor girl (who of course didn't win the affections of the main character thanks to the busty alien). It wasn't absolutely terrible, but certainly had poor animation and cliche plot line. In this case I'm hoping the manga is better and the anime just butchered the source material, since it was made by PeachPit who usually make good series.

Then the third season of Zero no Tsukaima. Couldn't watch it past the first episode. At the time, I was sorely disappointed in what the series had become, though nowadays I think I could watch it with no problems (not that I have any desire to).

As for the ultimate worst series I have ever watched (well, only made it four episodes in but still), it would have to be Akane iro ni somaru saka. Cliche, hated the protagonist, really poor animation at times, and it had been a series I was looking forward to so I was just overwhelmed with disappointment. Again, nowadays I could probably watch this with no problem as I have become used to bad harem shows and the like (the difference is, I actually found something enjoyable about those other series that was absent here for some reason).

So that's my really long list. lol

Now and Then, Here and There. It's supposed to be an anime about war and how awful it is to children but I simply could not watch it. The first episode was insanely boring--to the point were I forced myself to finish it--and the second episode pissed me off so badly that I said, "Forget it. I am DONE with this." I couldn't stand the protagonist, the girl he was protecting had no real personality and the main villain was such a wad of crap that I wanted to punch my television. That one set a record: 45 minutes into the show and I walked out of the room.

My husband finished it. I refused.

Dragon Half. It was supposed to be some "over the top" comedy but it was merely headache inducing. I could stand none of the characters and all it was to me was a lot of pointless noise and frantic cutscenes. I was able to finish it, but there only two eps in the series. I don't think they've done anymore.

Digimon Young Hunters: I honestly see this as a separate series, even though that probably isn't accurate, because of how disappointing it was and just so I can see see Xros Wars as a strong series. It honestly had some good ideas, Tagiru didn't seem too annoying, although dealing with other characters in the same kind of role that are even more annoying might have helped, and I actually did like Tagiru's relationship with Gumdramon. Even so, the episodic structure really hurt the show in the long run. It just felt so boring to go through villains of the week formats when they were spending more time developing the one-shot characters than the main cast or doing more world building. Most of the other new Hunters introduced didn't do much and felt relatively unnecessary by the end. There was barely any progression in the plot until the last few episodes, which just felt too jarring, and the return of the previous main leads came off as really lackluster, especially when they didn't get to do much. The ending itself was just far too open ended for my tastes. The whole series just came off as completely unnecessary by the end and this annoys me especially when I rushed through the first series just to catch up to the episodes on Crunchyroll. I would have gladly preferred Xros Wars getting an extra episode to give more of a farewell scene between the humans and Digimon and a brief epilogue to see where everyone was a year or so later over Young Hunters.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal: This is easily my least favorite out of the four series. The main lead is seriously annoying and takes up too much screentime, most of the other characters are extremely boring, the duels, generally speaking, aren't that great and the pacing can be problematic at times. I do like a couple of the characters, such as Shark and Rio, there are some good duels here and there and the basic concept of the story is pretty good. The problem just comes down to execution for me.

My Bride Is A Mermaid: Admittedly, I only saw the first few episodes of this series, but the running gags were just becoming annoying and seeing almost everyone beat up/yell at the main lead wasn't funny by the fifth episode. I usually try to stick out watching a series longer than that and possibly even the whole series if I can tolerate it, but this was just painfully unfunny for me.

To Heart: I only managed to watch three episodes of this series On Demand. From what I remember, this was just extremely boring to the point where I think I started to fall asleep at one point. I can like slice-of-life shows and there are some that I really do like, but this series just left me feeling bored and each episode just dragged on far too long for me.

Well... basically, I hate all harem anime like Shuffle. The main boys in the anime are total losers and they're basically just being swinged around in a place full of girls with large teary eyes and impossibly developed bodies for their age. The only harem anime that I enjoyed watching was The World God Only Knows because... it was rather unique in terms of harem - the main boy was very intelligent and obviously, aware of what he shoud do and not do.

Kill Me Baby was a pain to watch ;_; The first episode made me go wut is this - I don't even -.-

I really didn't like the anime Mario movie. For those who don't know that it exists, it's called Super Mario Bros: Peach-hime Kyushutsu Dai Sakusen and came out in 1986. While it is definitely much better than the infamous live-action Mario movie (and has better animation than the Mario cartoon), the anime Mario has a lot of flaws. The Koopa Troopas in the movie are hideous and look rather birdlike - definitely far from the cute Koopas of nowadays. Though I get that back then, Koopas were ugly and walked on all fours - and were always evil. (I'm a huge fan of Koopa Troopa - I have a plush one at home!) It also doesn't make sense that Mario and Luigi work in a grocery store. It was also hilarious hearing Bowser's voice (in this film, he is voiced by Akiko Wada, a woman.), which is pretty bad, but hilarious nonetheless. But the biggest letdown is the ending. When Mario rescues Princess Peach, it turns out he can't have her. The stupid dog that followed them around turns back into a prince named Prince Haru and proceeds to tell Mario that he and Peach are engaged. Mario is very upset about this, and I think you can understand why. He spent all this time trying to save Peach from Bowser and he CAN'T have her just so some uncanonical character can? WTF? Luckily, Nintendo has pretty much ignored Prince Haru's existence (by never putting him in the games) and made sure that Princess Peach is always paired up with Mario. (I do admit that I love the love song in the movie.)
You know, I've seen this, and even though Koopa was voiced by a lady...it kinda worked in a weird way...sorta....maybe. I dunno. lol

Anyway, one thing I did like about this bizarre movie was Luigi. I love the fact how he didn't give a crap about Peach, until he found out money would be involved in her rescue. How awesome is that? lol
Which anime do you dislike even the Japanese version of? (Just don't name Pokemon - I don't want to see this post get locked.)
*says Pokemon and locks the thread* :p Joking of course.

Anyway, answering this is a bit difficult for me. Sure, there are series that I don't feel have "rewatch value", but I wouldn't consider them to be truly hated or disliked shows by me either....I just don't feel it warrants being rewatched, and if there are some shows that I truly disliked, I probably don't even remember them. ..but if choosing, they would be...

Super Street Fighter IV: I can't remember exactly what it was I disliked about this. I felt the characterization was terrible and iirc, the plot was a bit...meh. I guess I also would've enjoyed it more if it hadn't have focused on Guile, Cammy, and Chun-Li.

Kanon: I found the series to be a bit annoying due to the majority of the characters, if I'm remembering right. I'm also referring to the original series. I think this got a remake a few years later.

Shin Shirayuki Hime Densetsu Pretear: I'm biased towards the anime as a whole. I really really hated the way the anime was handled compared to its manga counterpart. Bottom line, I despise the anime with a passion because of my love of the manga (as it's one of my favorites), and the main thing I hated
was Sasame becoming a traitor.
I can go on and on about this series, but that one thing there is enough.

Colorful: Weird show. Pretty much a show probably made by horny college boys who couldn't find girlfriends.

Fushigi Yuugi: I felt it was a terrible series. The storyline was nice, though, but my problem is that I'm comparing it to its manga. The anime fails in comparison to it, imo. Miaka isn't really an annoying character either for it, I feel and doesn't strike me as the type who'd leave her friends hanging just to go after her love interest.

Marmalade Boy: I loved it in the beginning, grew annoyed with it as it went on. This is another series where I preferred its manga to its anime. It didn't have as many love quadrilaterals. It felt like the anime was just reaching....but I will admit that the anime does have a slight charm. I do get a nostalgic feel with it, when I think of the music and all that. ^^; But I still find it one o fhte worst series I've ever watched that I do pretty much dislike.

I dislike Fruits Basket. I realize it's pretty well-regarded, but it really not my thing.

I don't like The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It just is cliche and boring to me. I've read the first volume and I watched the anime, but I just couldn't get into it like the majority. In fact, I really can't stand seeing it.

There's at least one hatable series every season. From the recent ones, at least Medaka Box (and most probably its sequel which is airing now and which I didn't even start), Haiyore! Nyarlko-san, C³: Cube x Cursed x Curious, and Kono Naka ni Hitori Imouto ga Iru!. Older targets of hate include FLCL *dodges tomatoes*, Maria†Holic, Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru, Fireball!, the Issho ni series, Kannazuki no Miko, To Love-Ru: Trouble, and the Golden Digimentals movie of the Digimon 02 series.

Also, I have a love-hate relationship with Prince of Tennis, because I have a completion obsession (meaning I can't drop a series) and because it's utterly boring and I still have over 100 episodes left to watch. -____- It isn't that bad in what it does, but I'm quite fed up of all the tennis already.

Last edited:
Hetalia, full stop. The concept is interesting but the execution leaves a lot to be the desired.

That the anime club at school is nearly entirely comprised of rabid fans of the show doesn't help.

Of course there are. Whenever a new season comes out, I try out as many series' that I think sound interesting as I can. This season in particular has a lot of shows I don't like, like Girls und Panzer because the first episode just shouted that it supports peer pressure and the whole premise was stupid (and I liked Strike Witches!). I also dislike Magi - episode 1 was all different shades of mediocre. From the last season, I didn't like So I Can't Play H! - I love a good harem show, but it was trying too hard to be High School DxD (which I did really like) but failed to hit every mark.

In terms of older shows, I dislike Dragonball Z. I couldn't watch it when it was on TV, so when Kai started airing I started watching...and dropped it after 6 episodes. I tried to like it, but it bored the hell out of me. I also tried out Hetalia after bugging from some friends of mine...nope, not my thing at all.

My favorite thing about Hetalia is reading about cos-players dressing up as Germany (complete with salutes) at a convention center right across from a Holocaust Museum lol.

Kanon: I found the series to be a bit annoying due to the majority of the characters, if I'm remembering right. I'm also referring to the original series. I think this got a remake a few years later.

I finished watching the remake series a few months ago. I thought that it was fairly entertaining. The setup seemed kind of weird, although I didn't know what it was based on at the time, and it seemed weird that the main lead would be able to go through these mini arcs with these different girls so quickly, but it was okay.

SSJ_Jup81 said:
Shin Shirayuki Hime Densetsu Pretear: I'm biased towards the anime as a whole. I really really hated the way the anime was handled compared to its manga counterpart. Bottom line, I despise the anime with a passion because of my love of the manga (as it's one of my favorites), and the main thing I hated
was Sasame becoming a traitor.
I can go on and on about this series, but that one thing there is enough.

Oddly enough, I like the anime more than the manga. Part of it could have been how I didn't read the manga until after I watched the anime for the first time and I really liked it, but I thought that the anime, while predictable with most of its twists and the comedy wasn't my cup of tea, but pretty good. There are a few aspects to the manga that I wish they did keep for the anime version, but I thought that the anime did a better job with the character interaction, the development for Himeno and made the villain feel more human by the end. Plus, I thought that there was much better payoff for all the buildup to the final battle and the conclusion was more satisfying for me.

Another anime I dislike is Bakugan. I still remember getting a headache from trying to understand it the first time I saw it and I really couldn't follow any of the plots after the first season, although I rarely saw anything past season one to begin with. I also couldn't really get into the first Beyblade series beyond the first season, even G-Revolution. I might if I rewatched them, especially when I can watch the new series as something to watch for the heck of it, but I just couldn't really get into the new characters and designs.

Oh where to begin....
Sailor moon- Need i say more..
Inuyasha- Mentally scarred me when i was around 4 years old. my grandma put it on for me to watch. needless to say i didn watch tv for about a month later until my mom could convince me the evil devil dog man wasnt in the TV
Naruto- too many chiches, ect
Beyblade- THese characters look like they went through a industrial press and band saw. and battling with TOPS? come on!
DIgimon- Cheap digital pokemon knock off
Initial D- A clear cold smack to all that is racing... i dont really like most tuner cars from japan but watching that show just make me want to cry
Baka to Test - It focuses on chibi characters. cant stand them...
Exdriver- first episode i watched has two girls driving in a Miata... i stopped after that. i was scared for my life.
FLCL- too bizzare.
Lucky star- too freaking annoying but makes good ytp material
Black butler- BECAUSE OF THE FANGIRLS
Samurai X- try to survive an episode. i couldnt. it was just to painfull to watch

Oh yeah, Suzumiya Haruhi is on top of my hate list because of the Haruhi fans -.- I don't know why they like Haruhi and it became common sense that anyone who watches Haruhi was labeled EXTREME OTAKU and outed ;_;

First off I am quite aware that most if not all of the series on this list are very highly regarded among the otaku community, and I'm equally aware that many people all over the internet would instantly label me a troll for daring to say anything negative about them. So if you like any of these anime, that's fine, go ahead and like them... just keep I mind that I really, really don't.

- Fate/Zero. It obviously finds itself and its characters a lot more "fascinating" and "deep" than they really are (well, its non-Servant characters that is, I'll get to the Heroic Spirits in a second). This show is boring! I mean, I'm not some blood'n'guts-obsessed maniac who constantly demands ACTION!ACTION!ACTION!... but I at least expect stuff to actually happen from time to time. Oh, but when stuff finally does happen it's still filled with constant talking ripped from Philosophy 101 (e.g. the fight at the harbour).

While more stuff does happen in the second half of the series, that part is plagued by some huge anticlimaxes. Worst of all is Kiritsugu's backstory, which seems mainly built around people suddenly acting like idiots because the plot requires them to. The only sympathetic character is Kariya, yet even then it's hard to care what happens to him since you just know that he's going to fail.

Oh, and don't get me started on the Servants. It's painful to see the complex IRL character of Alexander the Great being reduced to a stereotypical Anime Big Guy (not to mention how the very basis of Ionian Hetaroi completely ignores what happened to him in India), Gilgamesh's entire character development in the original Epic is ignored (there's like, one vague mention of enkidy very late in the anime) while he's portrayed as a lazy oaf who wouldn't be a threat at all without Gate of Babylon, Hassan-i-Sabbah never mentions things like eagles or says "nothing is true; everything is permitted" (oh, but it's a different Hassan-i-Sabbah. That just makes it more groan-worthy), Gilles de Rais summoning Lovecraftian horrors is obviously there to look "cool" yet just ends up stupid, unfitting and self-indulgent of the author, the inclusion of another Irish Lancer is simply redundant, especially when Diarmuid is frequently made to look stupid just for believing in concept of 'honour', and King Arthur comes off as a total dullard. Oh and something about genderbending.

Oh yeah, this brings me to the tonnes of ridiculous powers like the Gate of Babylon, Ionian Hetaroi and said Lovecraftian horrors that are pretty much just there to look "cool" (or the author thinks they do anyway). Now in something like Sengoku Basara they'd probably be fine with me, but in an anime like Fate/Zero which takes itself very seriously they're horribly jarring and out-of-place.

...Too much, you think? Sorry, it's just that the Fate/ series in general, visual novels, light novels, PSP games, whathaveyou, seriously sickens me. Which is a shame, as the general concept of the Holy Grail War is great, easily the sort of thing I'd love to base an RPG around.

(One last thing before moving on. Since we're talking about horrible fanbases, you can't get much worse than Type-MOON fans. Not because they happen to like a writer I personally don't, but because they're just really nasty people in their own right. Seriously, I'd gladly endure a thousand shipping threads if it meant never having to go through another powerlevels thread ever again).

- To aru Majutsu no Index. I know, contradictory of me to say this considering my avatar (I originally used it for a modern version of Minamoto-no-Yoshitsune in a story once, and it sort of stuck), and like above, this series honestly has a really great premise, the whole "ESP based on science vs magic based on religion" thing sounds like a winner.

Yet not only does the series fail to capitalise on this premise until way too far in (the stories are always about either science or magic, but never both at once), the main character is easily the worst example of a Gary-Stu I've ever seen in anime (complete with "so-called flaw that never seriously impacts him"). I know the terms "Mary-Sue" and "Gary-Stu" are extremely overused, but there's really no other way I can describe this character, oh, apart from boring, ugly, preachy and predictable. Take note: rapid fire punches to the face following quirky Stand action=cool. Punching a guy's head and making it explode after dark yet oddly mournful catchphrase=cool. Punching a guy in the face with sucky catchphrase=lame. Just lame.

Or a girl in the face, can't forget that. Seriously, if you call yourself a feminist and believe violence against women is simply disgusting, then avoid this anime at all costs. Especially its second season.

The supporting cast hardly saves this series, they don't even try to hide what blatant stereotypes they are.

- The Haruhi Suzumiya series. Mentioned before I know, but I felt like I had to add my own piece. Even before Endless Eight, this anime was just really smug (in the "ooh, look at me, look how clever I'm being" way) and unpleasant to watch, the entire series basically consists of sucking up to this unlikable, unsympathetic person. "Oh, but she gets better in the light novels" Yeah, and promptly starts appearing less and less.

It doesn't help that Kyon is just as unlikable as Haruhi is, if not more. Not only is he constantly complaining and never being grateful or anything (either that or acting perverted), his ego is so insufferably large (he's easily the main source of the "look how clever I'm being" problem I mentioned before) that he truly deserves everything Haruhi inflicts upon him. Really my main problems with this series come from just how repulsive the two main characters are, if the show was just Itsuki, Yuki or Mikuru (though of course without the two mains they'd never have a reason to be together)... eh, it wouldn't be great or anything, but I could at least stomach it.

I think what angers me the most are the comparisons this series gets to (of all things) Doctor Who. Now the new series I could understand, but Classic Who, seriously?

- Pretty much anything Shinbo Akiyuki was ever involved in. Well okay, primarily Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Bakemonogatari and Puella Magi Madoka Magica: SZS for being insanely repetitive, outstaying its welcome and being way too reliant on catchphrases that were rarely funny to begin with, Bakemonogatari for somehow being even more smarmy than Haruhi was (and for coming off as a dumbed-down version of xxxHolic), and PMMM for feeling contrived, being way too reliant on cheap shock value (I'm sorry, are we supposed to feel for the death a character we've only known for an episode-and-a-half?) and treating its audience like easily-manipulated sheep who'll be wowed by anything (entropy, really?).

- Kara no Kyoukai. Not as bad as Fate/Zero, but still incredibly boring and self-obsessed. "Oh, but it's being philosophical" It's being boring, that's what it is. The only bearable films are Paradox Spiral (solely because stuff actually happens in that one) and Oblivion Recorder (due to the much needed lighter tone), everything else is snorefest-inducing.

- Durarara!! Man Narita, you sold out! Okay, even if it's set in the more stereotypical anime location of Modern Tokyo as opposed to the Great Depression, it's still jarring how dreary, plodding and even lifeless this series is. On paper the characters all sound completely crazy, so why do they come off so bland in the series itself? Even if I had no knowledge of Baccano! I still don't think I'd have liked this show much.

- Katekyo Hitman Reborn! Alright, compared to the other series on this list, KHR isn't all that bad, just kinda boring. Now everybody says "wait until Ep 20, that's when the series really begins" but honestly, KHR isn't any better at being an action series than it is at being a comedy series. The Future Arc, which happens to span over half the anime, is when the dullfest truly hits, which is a shame as it showed quite a lot of promise to begin with.

Still, the cast of characters are some of the funniest and most enjoyable I've seen in any anime, making it a shame they rarely get any development once the comedy ends.

Last edited:
i lol because the basis for not liking digimon is "cheap pokemon knock off". but digimon is a copy of a tamagotchi, not pokemon.

lol'd

anyway, i can't stand hetalia, or naruto. my best friend is REALLY into hetalia and as much as she says shes not "one of those fans" she really is now. and she messages me on fb sending me hetalia links knowing i wont watch them?

Just thought I'd point out that we should probably stay away from the Pokemon vs Digimon stuff saying one is a rip off of the other or whatever to avoid a flame-war.
Oddly enough, I like the anime more than the manga. Part of it could have been how I didn't read the manga until after I watched the anime for the first time and I really liked it, but I thought that the anime, while predictable with most of its twists and the comedy wasn't my cup of tea, but pretty good. There are a few aspects to the manga that I wish they did keep for the anime version, but I thought that the anime did a better job with the character interaction, the development for Himeno and made the villain feel more human by the end. Plus, I thought that there was much better payoff for all the buildup to the final battle and the conclusion was more satisfying for me.
I still had a big problem with Himeno's stepsisters' roles, though....but, as I said, I did read the manga so my view is a bit skewed, I admit. I felt that the sisters were handled better for the manga. There was more to Mayune than playing tricks on Himeno (Mayune felt very one-dimensional for the anime) and Mawata seemed uncharacteristically emo (when she wasn't for the manga). I actually liked the original set up
where the one jealous was her step mother
. I just felt it worked better given the story...and I already mentioned how I didn't like Sasame's change. I guess with Mawata, she had no real reason to be "emo" when she still had the attention and love of her mother. I guess if they would've left it as
her parents being divorced as opposed to their biological father being dead
that twist wouldn't have worked for the anime.

Back
Top Bottom