• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

I still had a big problem with Himeno's stepsisters' roles, though....but, as I said, I did read the manga so my view is a bit skewed, I admit. I felt that the sisters were handled better for the manga. There was more to Mayune than playing tricks on Himeno (Mayune felt very one-dimensional for the anime) and Mawata seemed uncharacteristically emo (when she wasn't for the manga). I actually liked the original set up
where the one jealous was her step mother
. I just felt it worked better given the story...and I already mentioned how I didn't like Sasame's change. I guess with Mawata, she had no real reason to be "emo" when she still had the attention and love of her mother. I guess if they would've left it as
her parents being divorced as opposed to their biological father being dead
that twist wouldn't have worked for the anime.

Personally, I didn't care much for Mayune in either version, but I think I was annoyed more with her in the manga with how mean she could get. Although, I agree that she came off as pretty one-dimensional in the anime for the most part. As for Mawata, I was pretty much fine with how she was handled in the anime. She was more depressed in the anime than she was in the manga, but I thought it made sense given the setup and even with all of the love and attention from her mother, she could have felt too traumatized from all of those years of acting so together when she was shattered inside to really get it. That worked for me.

Personally, I prefer that the step mother wasn't the jealous one and that the step-family members weren't used by the villain in the anime. It does make sense due to the whole Snow White setup, along with a dash of Cinderella, they have, but I thought it was more interesting to have the family be relatively happy with each other and it did allow for them to flesh out the villain much more than they did in the manga. Admittedly, I'm probably bias here as well since I saw the anime before reading the manga, but I liked how they didn't end up having the step family members being used like that and showing in the climax that they do genuinely care about each other.

As for Sasame's change, I was actually okay with it. Part of it was because it was an interesting twist, but it also allowed them to have another one of the Knights change over the course of the story. Admittedly, trying to do that with seven knights, along with Himeno, in the course of twelve episodes might have been too difficult to actually pull off, but I liked how they were willing to do something so different with the character. I've always been confused about the fate of Mawata and Mayune's father in the manga. At one point, they say that the step-mother divorced, but then at another point, they say that he died. I actually bought the four volume series, so I don't know if this is just a translation mistakes on ADV Manga's part or something that was changed at the last minute.

Sword Art Online, where do we begin on this one? Well the premise and plot of the show seems very cool and interesting on paper, a boy gets stuck inside a video game and has to fight through the game in order to get out. Unfortunately, I found it pretty bad and below-average. The biggest flaw that lags the whole damn show down is easily Kirito and Asuna's romance and the early "harem" episodes. Kirito would spend episodes bonding with different girls not to mention much screen time would be devoted to Asuna and Kirito grabbing ass or bonding in some form. Of course it's just so cliche, the action is alright but the romance is just terribad that I actually dropped the show after the first story was done.

Oh, how could I forget SAO from my post? :p I can totally agree to that one; as I can't drop any series, I've kept myself up to date with it, though.

Not really a fan of the Transformers animes. I don't know if I'd like it or not if it were a separate series, but it just wasn't TF to me.

Also I liked the first season of Bakugan all right, but it got really ridiculous fast. Somehow I can actually stand Beyblade. lol

All of the DB series-
STOP YELLING YOU UGLY BASTARDS!!!

All of Yu-gi-oh-
I'm not a big fan of the concept. Plus, the monsters aren't cool. :I

Naruto. My friends are all obsessed with it and it drives me up the wall.

I actually don't mind Hetalia that much. Some of it is absolutely painful to watch, but I love the concept too much to not watch it every once in a while.

One Piece and Naruto.

I don't like the plot of One Piece and I just couldn't get in to Naruto.

My favorite thing about Hetalia is reading about cos-players dressing up as Germany (complete with salutes) at a convention center right across from a Holocaust Museum lol.

That is incredibly insulting to the victims of Nazism. I wonder how many of them are the grandchildren or great-grandchildren of World War II veterans.

I could never get into the mech/giant robot type anime, so things like Gundam I never really liked. Also, when Kekkaishi was airing on Adult Swin I tried getting into it but I just couldn't. I love you Vic Mignogna but not even you could keep me watching that show.

I was a fan of Naruto for a while (mainly because of characters like Kakashi, Shikamaru, Neji, Kiba, and Rock Lee. I hated Naruto, Sasuke, and Sakura.) but I lost interest when the series decided to turn into "Sasuke: Featuring Naruto"

Also Bleach. I tried getting into it but there's just too many characters for me to try to keep up with at this point.

While the ones I mentioned were bad, I'm glad there's no anime of Houou Gakuen Misoragumi. That one's bad because the lead's female misogynist of a mother is portrayed as one of the good guys. And if you're allied to the gay community, it's even worse. But worse than both of those is that the mangaka (Arata Aki) is in fact a woman. I'm just glad that most other female mangaka (such as Naoko Takeuchi) do not share her views. At least the series was aborted before they could even think of giving it an anime.

I was never into the robot anime either. Especially because for a while, people thought that all anime had giant robots (seriously, it's so bad it's made its way into the dictionary!). I think it was because a lot of the series aired outside Japan in the 80s and early 90s were about giant robots.

For those who don't know about it: Houou Gakuen Misoragumi - Television Tropes & Idioms

Sword Art Online for its misused potential and also the fact that the whole series became pretty messy with a lost plot after I believe episode 2 or 3. The series had like 3 or 4 episodes of Kirito having his harem moments helping a different girl out each episode while half-assing the romance between Kirito and Asuna. I think the anime tried to be everything in terms of genre but that completely backfired. It started off strong but I definitely did not expect and wanted the route that it took.

Madoka Magica. I just found it dull. I also thought that all it's clever bits had been done much better elsewhere. The only character I liked was Kyuubei. The nature of the show also annoyed me. Not the 'dark' nature but the sexist hidden behind feminist nature.

To be honest, I tend to get bored of anime and meh towards them rather than hating them... or they just become guilty pleasures.

I didn't like Pokemon: Best Wishes. Again dull. Lots of failed humour. Trying to be like Kanto, a series that was never that good in the first place.
I wouldn't put Kanto on my list though since I'm more neutral to it.

I don't remember the name of the anime but there was one harem anime I watched with a pretty cool female cast, that focused all it's screan time on two really boring guys. I know, harem anime tend to be terrible but the fact that they had better characters but were focusing on the blandest was just really annoying. I didn't make my way through the first episode.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan. I saw the theme tune and thought I'd give the show a chance. Same mistake as above. All the focus on the dullest character. Also, it turns out that all the humour was described in the theme tune. I kind of feel like I should have seen it coming.

To be fair, I think the reason for hating an anime based on the fanbase is a bit stupid.

Truly, if it's good; does it matter that much who else likes it?

also--

--I have a friend who gripes about High School of the Dead because of the excessive fanservice, even during moments when it doesn't make sense/actually conflicts with the natural flow of the plot or personalities of the characters.

I tried to get in to Hetalia, but I just don't find it funny. I stopped after a few episodes of "why am I watching this"

--I have a friend who gripes about High School of the Dead because of the excessive fanservice, even during moments when it doesn't make sense/actually conflicts with the natural flow of the plot or personalities of the characters.

Actually that's my main gripe with the series as well. I don't think the way the fanservice in this series, and it's zombies were balanced all that well.

Other than that I tend to dislike mecha anime, animes that spend an entire season trying to figure out it's own plot, and Kampfer.

I strongly dislike most Shonen Jump animes, especially Bleach, Naruto, and One Piece. I feel that they are overrated, low quality animes. But that's just my own opinion.

Also, Stars Intertwined is a lying attrocity.

I was a little bored by tegen toppa guren lagen XD I don't really get the appeal... but the intro is super good and I loved that one scorpion lady.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm......
Oh and I really can't stand aoi no exorcist XD that's all.

Back
Top Bottom