• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Death Note. I gave all of these animes multiple chances and they still bored the living the hell out of me each time.

Cheesy romance anime. Like Wolf Girl and Black Prince. I watched three episodes before dropping it because it was just too silly.

Okay so there's a few for me:

1. Naruto Shippuden - The manga for me was just...no. The chapters from 600+ wrecked it for me :( I get that there's hype over Obito and Madara, but I just found those chapters bland. The ending for it was what really made me not like it as much, considering that's not how the wavelength of the characters throughout it should've been.

2. Trinity Blood - The anime was a hot mess, and I had stopped watching this at episode 20 because I felt like it was getting absolutely nowhere. The story was bland to say the least, but the fact that there was a sudden shift in plots each episode was just...blagh >.<

3. SAO (second half of the first season) - Not going to lie, I did like the first half of the show, but then the second half happened, which made it generic :(

4. Bobobo - Need I say more?

That's pretty much it for me..for now xD

Not really a fan of the Transformers animes. I don't know if I'd like it or not if it were a separate series, but it just wasn't TF to me.
Oh.... oh dear Primus... I'm getting flashbacks...! >.<

The first two parts of the Unicron Trilogy are not my cup of tea; they rank as two of the worst shows I've ever seen in my life. Even worse? They didn't rank all that highly in Japan either! The pacing is terrible, the dubs on both are riddled with mistakes, the character development is nonexistent; they are just plainly bad. Even though I love Transformers, I couldn't give these two a pass. They were awful.

Transformers: Cybertron (Galaxy Force) was very good, though. At least one part of the trilogy didn't outright blow chunks.

Thank you for bringing me back to this thread, @Silverwynde;

I really dislike Code Geass. It makes an effort to include as many stereotypical anime tropes as possible, and not for comedic or satircal effect, nor does it it put an interesting spin on it. It's just a huge money grab with average character designs and animation and a plot that's trying to be riveting but leaves so much to critique. It throws in new rules to the world and treats them as plot twists, the characters aren't likable. There's just not much there to like about it.

I probably wouldn't dislike it so much if it wasn't hyped so much. It was recommended to me by several people and was at the top of quite a few best anime lists, and I watched the first two episodes and was thoroughly unimpressed, and ended up watching quite a few more episodes later when a friend was watching it so I know what happens later on. It's basically a watered down Evangelion/Death Note mashup.

I really do not like Free and I feel like I'm the only person who does. Its nothing more than an anime about a bunch of guys who form a swim club which sounds boring right from the start. I could not get into it at all, though all my friends love it. I feel like it relies too much on all the fanservice and I'm not that crazy about how yaoi heavy it feels. I'm actually not that crazy about those slice of life/high school/sport animes. These include anything from Free, Ouran Host Club, or Kuro No Basuke.

While I haven't seen Free, I agree that slice-of-life and romantic anime absolutely bore me to death, and the fact that they're over-abundant anymore makes it hard for me to find any good anime to watch. In fact, it's these kinds of anime that were almost ALL my college's anime club ever watched, and they failed to keep my interest.

Last edited:
Soul Eater: Wait a minute before you eat me (hue hue). I have a love/hate relationship with this anime.
For a start I did somewhat enjoy the anime and I adore Death The Kid and Soul Evans. What annoyed me about this anime is Maka. She's the main character but she just really pisses me off as I find her rude. Really rude. Hitting people isn't nice or funny. Mostly I hate how she treats her Dad.
I think she'd be ok (she has good traits) if she wasn't the main character as I could tolerate her. However the anime is called Soul Eater so the main character should be Soul! Completely misleading.

But most of all what ruined the anime was...
The ending. Everything built up to that point was completely wrecked. I heard the manga is better but the anime has kinda killed it for me.

Last edited:
Dragon Ball Z

I know this is a nostalgic show to some, but I always found it annoying

I keep forgetting about this thread. Sword Art Online is easily the worst anime series that I've ever seen. Everything about it is awful, including the so-called good half of the first season. There was no such thing as transitions, the setup was full of holes, the lead characters is a glorified Gary Stu that can do no wrong and ever female character falls in love with for no good reason, the romance is wooden, all of the deaths are emotionally manipulative, and the main villain didn't know why he became a mass murderer. The second half of the first season made the series become watchable bad to insulting/painfully bad. The villain was terrible, the basic plot of saving Asuna was dumb, the scenes involving tentacles and ripping off Asuna's clothes were disturbing, they kept trying to make it seem like this villain was worse than the first one, even though they're both morally corrupted scum, and there the incest subplot where the audience is supposed to feel sad that Kirito's cousin can't be with him. And then there's the ending where everyone getting their own virtual MMO and traveling through the tower that they were trapped for years was supposed to be happy. None of these characters should be interested in playing at least virtual video games ever again after everything they went through, but apparently trauma doesn't really exist in this world.

I don't know if the second season is any better, but I highly doubt it based on what I've heard about it. I will say that the first half of Sword Art Online's first season had promise. If they stretched that out for the whole first season, actually had good writing for it and developed the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, instead of the two of them just falling in love with each other because of reasons, then it could have been at least decent. The second half of that season should have been tossed aside and never used for anything again. This is the only popular show that I don't see why it is popular. Even with other popular shows that I don't like, such as say Naruto or Bleach, I can kind of see why they would be popular, but I have no idea why this series seems so popular. The nicest thing I can say about the actual show is that the animation can be nice, but that's really not enough to overlook all of these incredibly huge flaws with the writing and characters.

I also don't care much for Soul Eater. I liked it during the first half for the most part, but the second half dragging on way too long and most of the subplots didn't go much of anywhere. Most of the characters weren't particularly interesting since not a lot of them go through believable growth. BlackStar was absolutely terrible, annoying and it got to the point where I was actively hoping that someone would hit him. I have no idea why any of the other characters liked him. If the series was about twenty-six episodes instead of fifty-one, I would have probably liked it more.

Black Lagoon was also pretty bad. It had a promising start and I thought that it would be a fun/interesting over the top action series given the route they were taking Rock in. But it became pretty clear that it wasn't going to have much substance to it. Aside from Rock, I didn't have a reason to care about the main characters and there were even times where I was rooting for the people they were fighting for since they had more sympathetic motivation. The arc about the twins was so terrible. They wanted to come off as deep and profound, but it just came off like the show was trying to tackle something way outside their depth. This was the same show that had ridiculously evil Neo-Nazis. They could not handle something as serious as child slavery. The show never quite recovered for me after that especially. Unless you like 80's/90's over the top action movies, there isn't much here to grab your attention in my opinion.

I also couldn't get into Kill La Kill. I honestly really wanted to because I loved Gurren Lagann, but I couldn't get pass three episodes of Kill La Kill. The characters weren't particularly interesting, the story wasn't grabbing me and the fanservice was way too extreme for my tastes. I knew about the fanservice going into it, but I was hoping that there would be enough to where that wouldn't bother me as much. There wasn't and it made the show more distracting. Plus, I thought that the in-universe reason for the battle uniforms being like that was pretty stupid. It's one of those few shows that I wish I could like it, but it just did not click for me at all.

As for what I mentioned years ago about Zexal, while it's still my least favorite series in the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, I'm not sure if I dislike the whole series now. I still dislike quite a bit of it, especially the first few arcs, but it did get better over time, I grew to like it and by the end, I think that the series was okay.

Wow, so many people in here dislike the animes which I personally like and deemed to have high rewatch value. As for one is SAO, where I would also agree the first 8 episodes was quite a mess, but after then you will notice its charm. Though to be fair, you'll notice its charm only if you ever read its light novels.

I just wonder why no one in here ever mentioned Sora no Otoshimono? That is the worse anime I'd ever watch. Protagonist is simply a blatant pervert, where the whole story plot revolves around how this hentai doing erotic things from the day he accidentally obtained a wish-fulfillment power (in a form of an angel android falling from "heaven", noticeably being nosebleedingly moe-looking) that grants anything and everything possible. Its story is categorized as comedy, but in fact more towards harem in borderline sense, because such pervert is loved by all the main females in this anime. (Also a bit of spoiler: Within the last chapter of its manga version, such idiot hentai protagonist will become the ultimate messiah that save the world from destruction, how ridiculous that is.) This anime is simply an aggregate of purely fan-service. I personally prefer to watch comedic shows, but I don't see what is so comedic and funny about this show, the best I can say rather is absurdly silly.

As another, I am a Digimon fans, but I absolutely dislike Digimon Xros Wars: Hunters that Leap Through Time. The reasons are basically all explained by Hidden Mew, with one extra addition which is I don't like Tagiri at all. His character design adding on his happy-go-lucky nature just feel like Ash-Ketchum-kind idiot-hero, which is the kind of character I now hate the most. (What can I say more? Would you feel secure when the fate of the world is entrusted onto the hand of such greenhorn giving no sense of security to the surrounding people?)
I don't mind the prior Digimon Xros Wars series of Taiki being the protagonist, but these last 26 episodes of Hunters that Leap Through Time...... this is definitely the worst production filed into the Digimon franchise black history where it dishonoring and possibly driving a nail onto the already closing coffin of this franchise.

I'm not fond of One Piece. I liked the manga, but the anime has jutt way to much drama. It takes several episodes just for them to get to the point/finish something. Ehh..

Dragon Ball Z

I know this is a nostalgic show to some, but I always found it annoying

I couldn't agree more. It just wasn't my cup of tea. Granted, the manga was entertaining. Such is, I find, the curse of many good manga: the anime adaptations never seem to hit the mark.

For anyone that knows who I am, like Hidden Mew, my choice would be pretty obvious, but primarily for multiple retrospective reasons. Thankfully, my recent anger is subsiding, though I've already left and will not return.

I agree that Bakugan was alright the first time, but when the girls left, so did I.

Other than that, I don't really have anything else. I've been watching more anime now than before, but I haven't really found any others I outright dislike.

I try hard to understand where a series is coming from even I vehemently disagree with the reasons or execution, so there aren't many anime I actively dislike.

Unless they're directed by Akiyuki Shinbo. As hard as I try I simply cannot understand the appeal of anything he has ever worked on (with the sole exception of Hidamari Sketch, which I had already read and was a big fan of).

The world would genuinely be a better place if that stupid head-tilt was erased from the collective memory of the human race.

I keep forgetting about this thread. Sword Art Online is easily the worst anime series that I've ever seen. Everything about it is awful, including the so-called good half of the first season. There was no such thing as transitions, the setup was full of holes, the lead characters is a glorified Gary Stu that can do no wrong and ever female character falls in love with for no good reason, the romance is wooden, all of the deaths are emotionally manipulative, and the main villain didn't know why he became a mass murderer. The second half of the first season made the series become watchable bad to insulting/painfully bad. The villain was terrible, the basic plot of saving Asuna was dumb, the scenes involving tentacles and ripping off Asuna's clothes were disturbing, they kept trying to make it seem like this villain was worse than the first one, even though they're both morally corrupted scum, and there the incest subplot where the audience is supposed to feel sad that Kirito's cousin can't be with him. And then there's the ending where everyone getting their own virtual MMO and traveling through the tower that they were trapped for years was supposed to be happy. None of these characters should be interested in playing at least virtual video games ever again after everything they went through, but apparently trauma doesn't really exist in this world.

I don't know if the second season is any better, but I highly doubt it based on what I've heard about it. I will say that the first half of Sword Art Online's first season had promise. If they stretched that out for the whole first season, actually had good writing for it and developed the relationship between Kirito and Asuna, instead of the two of them just falling in love with each other because of reasons, then it could have been at least decent. The second half of that season should have been tossed aside and never used for anything again. This is the only popular show that I don't see why it is popular. Even with other popular shows that I don't like, such as say Naruto or Bleach, I can kind of see why they would be popular, but I have no idea why this series seems so popular. The nicest thing I can say about the actual show is that the animation can be nice, but that's really not enough to overlook all of these incredibly huge flaws with the writing and characters.

Just to answer this for you, as I've seen the second season, and I'm pretty neutral on the whole SAO fandom thingy, I find season 2 to be what Season 1 should have been. Season 2 is decent, and the only thing that brings it down is Season 1. But, that's my personal opinion. As for why it's popular, I have no idea. Even though I consider Season 2 what Season 1 should have been, it is just decent to watch, nothing that amazing, but not terrible like Season 1. It does peak my interest what the hinted Season 3 will be about. Though the first opening of Season 1 is one of the best openings I've ever seen, yet sadly it had to be used for such a disappointing anime.

As for other anime I dislike, other than that dreaded Rosario+Vampire insulting to the manga anime, I don't think I've ever said I hate YuGiOh Zexal. But, I do. When it was introduced, I had an open mind. However, it never delivered. It got good by the latter of the second half, but that is already too far in to get good. I'm fine with the card deus ex machina that happens in the anime, but Zexal took it too far, especially because Yuma is a beginner in dueling, a complete idiot at it. How is he suppose to improve if the only thing that saves him is the literal power to draw a card that turns the duel around in his favor? Oh, and don't get me started on Numbers, as those were disappointingly executed, and Yuma always using his Utopia even after he collects a monster that might just help him better is a duel. There is 8th/9th grade me who watch it then thinking of so many better ways the series could go. It makes me ask though, what happened? Pokemon Best Wishes was bad, YuGiOh Zexal was bad, Digimon Xros Wars: Young Hunters was bad. Like, WHY!?!?!?! Why was there a repetitive degree of badness on 3 shows?

There's a couple that I can think of. Golden Time comes to mind - one of those shows that you end up watching through to the end waiting for plot to move on. What it turned out to be was lots of episodes of the characters using no common sense and never actually trying to do something about the recurring problem that kept driving the plot. Which sort of resolved itself, somehow, in the finale

The most recent Digimon series, Fairy Tail, and Sailor Moon come to mind.

I watched a few episodes of Sword Art Online II and it is just really boring to me. I havent watched the first series and only watched it because it
is on Toonami.

I also didnt like watamote, and dropped it after a few episodes. Ive tried watching Gurren Lagann and I didnt like that either, I just couldnt really get into it. There's been very few animes Ive really disliked.

I don't think there's a anime I totally dislike, but fillers can make me give up watching any anime (says the pokemon fan). Bleach for example. Used to be one of my favourite animes, but i just couldnt stand the ginormous quantity of fillers. Hated it.

Back
Top Bottom