• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime Is there any anime that you dislike?

There's a couple that I can think of. Golden Time comes to mind - one of those shows that you end up watching through to the end waiting for plot to move on. What it turned out to be was lots of episodes of the characters using no common sense and never actually trying to do something about the recurring problem that kept driving the plot. Which sort of resolved itself, somehow, in the finale
I kinda agree about Golden Time, though it was more of me not liking Kouko as a character. *sigh* oh Tada Banri...

I tend to finish most anime I've seen so while I don't dislike them there are some where I think "that could have been handled better". Recent example would be Glasslip, a slice-of-life anime that just confused me by the end of the show.

Naruto. Horrible fan base, overrated dreck. Tried watching it, didn't last.

Hetaila. Makes Naruto's fan base look like saints. Mention you don't like a Hetalia fan's favorite country and you better run.

For the most part though, I know what I like and dont like and pick shows accordingly.

Hetalia, mostly. Racist garbage and I'm not buying into it, plus the fandom try their hardest to defend the nazi jokes in it every five seconds that it genuinely just becomes boring after awhile. Plus the show isn't really funny anyway...?

Never could get into One Piece, for some reason, literally watched one episode and dropped it, same with Bleach. That might just be because I have the attention span of a goldfish so I'm not good with long series'.

I haven't watched too many animes, but I have a particular disdain for the Beyblade anime. All the characters were either Stus or cardboard cutouts. And the plots weren't much more interesting. It got worse as the series went on. It got to the point where every episode felt the same.

SAO is the worst thing to ever happen to the anime industry imo just actual trash

Akame ga kill had a ton of potential and just fell short with the charecters which killedme cause the show could have been so good

Your Lie In April was really good but the made one of the main characters obsolete in order to strengthen the other characters which I hated

lastly Gintama I could never get into as the first episode was awful I heard it gets better but im not willing to delve into it yet

Although one would think my biggest complaint about Sword Art Online is the fact that
attempted rape and fatal diseases are played more for shock value rather than actual drama.
, my REAL biggest problem is that none of the MMOs showcased in the series actually give off the feel of being actual MMOs in design. There are so many gameplay mechanics that are present that not a single MMO in the current time would even have, such as the fact that Kirito's higher level in Episode 3 wouldn't have happened in the areas he was leveling in because of all MMOs nowadays having an Anti-Grind mechanic of some kind, and also the fact mobs give a pathetic amount of exp at higher levels in comparison to what you'll need to level up with. In addition, a World Event Boss is treated as a solo fight... when in reality these things would require entire parties to defeat because Event Only bosses tend to typically be jacked up insanely in regards to their stats, if not being at the level cap itself for some of them in particular. Even if you were equal level with the boss, there are many examples in an MMO in which even common enemies of the same level can put up an incredibly difficult challenge when you're facing them on your own (WoW, for instance, has Elite Category Mobs that have incredibly increased amounts of HP and damaging abilities).

So in other words, none of the arcs were actually good to me since none of the MMOs, as I said, feel like actual MMOs in design because the way the environment is and how the characters talk and act seems to give me the message that the author of Sword Art Online has never actually played an MMO before in their entire life to know how people would actually behave in such games.

Meanwhile, Shingeki No Kyojin (Attack on Titan), at first, caught my interest to an extent. It was a relatively grim setting with gigantic humanoids preying on humans as the humans basically had to live in fear of them while hiding behind gigantic walls designed to keep them out. At first, the story was not that bad... until...
the very existence of the Titan Shifters were revealed. Everything ever since that revelation slowly began to turn an otherwise unique story into yet another typical shonen series as the series progressed.

Last edited:
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Death Note. I gave all of these animes multiple chances and they still bored the living the hell out of me each time.
DEATHNOTE???? DEATHNOTE! Who could hate Deathnote???

Last edited:
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Death Note. I gave all of these animes multiple chances and they still bored the living the hell out of me each time.
DEATHNOTE???? DEATHNOTE! Who could hate Deathnote???

not him but most people hate deathnote for
How the story wen't downhill after L's death. The episodes leading up to the finale was awful as it made no sense to me how Near tricked them in the end as the whole idea seemed super stupid and impossible unlike the other tricks in the show. Kira's death was really well done but with he exception of that the show wasn't nearly as good as the first part which I praise highly as its imo top-class
That's why I have problems with deathnote some people just plain on hate deathnote

I've seen plenty of bad anime. I've seen SAO but I don't consider that to be the worst anime ever. The worst anime I've seen is this 10 minute short called Ijime, which can be found here. The animation is terrible, the soundtrack isn't memorable, the entire premise is exaggerated to high holy heck for nothing but pointless melodrama...it's just bad all around!

I've seen plenty of bad anime. I've seen SAO but I don't consider that to be the worst anime ever. The worst anime I've seen is this 10 minute short called Ijime, which can be found here. The animation is terrible, the soundtrack isn't memorable, the entire premise is exaggerated to high holy heck for nothing but pointless melodrama...it's just bad all around!

I'll say. Those eyes have to be the most asinine I've ever seen

There's a couple that I can think of. Golden Time comes to mind - one of those shows that you end up watching through to the end waiting for plot to move on. What it turned out to be was lots of episodes of the characters using no common sense and never actually trying to do something about the recurring problem that kept driving the plot. Which sort of resolved itself, somehow, in the finale
I kinda agree about Golden Time, though it was more of me not liking Kouko as a character. *sigh* oh Tada Banri...

I tend to finish most anime I've seen so while I don't dislike them there are some where I think "that could have been handled better". Recent example would be Glasslip, a slice-of-life anime that just confused me by the end of the show.

I'd forgotten about Glasslip. I watched about three episodes and lost interest thanks to the meandering plot and lifeless characters. A shame, because I loved the way it looked.

Another one that comes to mind is Bartender. The premise of telling small stories through people talking to their barman should have been a good one, but the writer's couldn't leave it alone. The bartender can't just be a guy, no, he has to be a Master bartender! When characters started waxing lyrical about Famous Grouse whiskey the pretentiousness of the anime was the last straw

Another one that comes to mind is Bartender. The premise of telling small stories through people talking to their barman should have been a good one, but the writer's couldn't leave it alone. The bartender can't just be a guy, no, he has to be a Master bartender! When characters started waxing lyrical about Famous Grouse whiskey the pretentiousness of the anime was the last straw

I agree with this. As someone who used to tend bar back in college, I really wanted to like this show. Hell I liked it at the start, before it got all GREATEST BARTENDER IN THE WORLD on us. If they had left it as your average bartender... it would have had awesome potential.

I haven't seen many bad anime, but the bad anime I HAVE seen were REALLY REALLY BAD.

My anime club showed us an episode of Alien Nine once, but...I just couldn't buy the premise. The characters were annoying, the animation was dull, certain bouts of nudity turned me off, and...aliens licking someone's backs? Uuuugh!

I absolutely hate Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! Not only was the whole show brainbreakingly stupid and shallow, the comedy fell flat, its characters were nothing but one-note gimmicks, and the whole concept of chuunibyou just seems like a poor excuse to make up some fancy name for someone wanting to play pretend. I know people say chuunibyou is a real thing but I find that really hard to believe.

One Off was just bad. It was basically a moe moe fest where the main character is indecisive, one girl looks like a rip-off of Tsuruko from AnoHana all the way down to her seiyuu, and the worst thing is, everyone LOVES this faux Australian girl named Cynthia (who I swear to you looks so much like DPPt Cynthia its not even funny) who does nothing but show off her cleavage to everybody, but everyone talks about her like she's God. The worst thing is? It's directed by Junichi Sato, who worked on Aria, Tamayura, Umi Monogatari, Sailor Moon, and Goldfish Warning, all of which I love! He's a good director, and this is just not his best work.

But by far the absolute WORST anime I have EVER seen is this ten minute after school special called Ijime, which you can watch here. Oh my God, this thing is just absolutely terrible on every level. Nothing can salvage it. The animation and art style is absolutely abysmal (AHHH! THOSE EYES!!!), the voice acting is clearly phoned in, everything in this show is played for so much cringe worthy melodrama its not even funny, everybody completely freaks out over tiny little things that can easily be forgotten about, it tackles bullying in a clumsy and downright stupid manner...my God! The whole thing is just God-awful!

YuGiOh, as a whole, I never really got into, and doubt I ever will.

When it came out originally, I didn't get the point of it. They were Japanese, but had direct connections to Ancient Egypt?! That didn't really add up for me, ever...

Also, they *totally* messed around with mythology. There was no "Dragon or Ra" in Egyptian mythology, for example. In fact, the closest thing to a dragon was actually Apophis (AKA, Apep, depending on the source), which was a giant snake that was Ra's MORTAL ENEMY.

Other than that, I think the Dragon Ball series is a bit too hard to keep track of IMHO, I don't really hate it, though.

Cute High Earth Defense Club got extremely boring to me and I stopped watching it after a few episodes. The animation was nice and all, but the characters were so bland! The same thing happens in every episode as well: someone turns evil, takes like 4 minutes for everyone to transform, fight, and finish.

I really disliked Boys Be....

To me, the story made no sense and the thought progression of the characters made no sense either.

Quite a few come to mind, like SAO, Fairy Tail, Bleach and One Piece, but I think the worst one would have to be Naruto. I could never seem to get into this anime, mostly because I found it boring and most of the characters were unlikeable. Also I think it has been dragged on for way to long as well, last time I heard there was 300+ episodes.
Honestly I fail to understand how the hell this anime became so popular in the first place.

So far there is two anime that i do dislike. I may get people that dislike me cause of my opinion on the anime. The anime that i dislike is Shingeki no Kyojin(a.k.a. Attack on Titan.) I just feel that this anime is really overhyped and there isn't anything special about it. Sure there are a bit of feels in the anime but its not supposed to be a feelsy one. Also its tagged as a horror anime and i do not find anything that is supposed to be horror. Unless they claim that the titans are supposed to scare you like the villagers are afraid of them.

Another anime that i dislike is Naruto. I do agree with what @AstralNightmare; said about the anime. This is another overhyped anime. I admit it i watched it when i was a wee lass and i even owned some of the TCG cards for it. Then again i was only like 10 when i was watching it so it may of had a bigger appeal to me then. I just feel that this anime has the most filler episodes, unlikeable characters, not much character backstory for how many episodes it has. I just feel that on most of the characters it only scraped the surface of the characters backstories. Say Ino and Sakura for example. Its as if they just appeared out of no where.

Oh an Honorable Mention:
Dantalian no Shoka- After looking at MyAnimeList(MAL for short) recommendations for the anime GOSICK(really really good mystery anime imo) this was a HUGE disappointment. It could barely keep my attention after episode 5 and i had to rewatch the rest of the season to not miss anything. I was expecting it to have more similarities with GOSICK as they both had a gothic(what most people would describe them as) lolis who were the main female protagonist. And a guy who basically helped them. There is a second season for this anime but i do not intend to watch it as i didn't like the first season.

SAO - Looked very promising in the first couple of episodes, but then it just turned into a mess. Weird and random time skips made the pacing pretty bad. In every episode there was suddenly a bunch of stuff that had happened which hurt the character development and interactions. I couldn't finish it.

Attack on Titan - Similar case. Looked very very promising and good. Great atmosphere, good art and animation, only to turn into a pretty cliche, typical shonen series. Not terrible, just very very disappointing.

Kill la Kill - I loved the first half. It was silly and funny. The exaggerations and humor was pretty entertaining. Well, minus the way Senketsu forced himself on Ryoko, it looks like...um. However, the second half tried to be more serious, with a serious plot and that was its downfall. It just looked ridiculous, except now it wasn't funny because it was trying to make me take things seriously. If I misunderstood and I wasn't supposed to take the second half seriously, well it failed at being funny.

Anohana - It was recommended to me as similar to Honey & Clover, which is among my absolute favourite anime/manga. Unfortunately, I watched Anohana with high expectations and it failed all of them. It turned out to be mostly forced melodrama and silly things like how long it took them to figure out that... oh! Menma could actually use pen & paper to write things and prove her existence, but no they had to drag it out. Not really a bad anime, I just ended up disappointed. Well, I also learnt that melodrama is not for me and I prefer how drama is handled in stories like Mushishi.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic - I was excited for a story that takes place in a less common setting. The concept is actually pretty cool, but the execution is terrible. Characters' behaviour and interactions are simply badly done. Not to mention some of the choices characters make (I'm looking at you Alibaba). The supposedly three main characters are treated like dolls by the plot, rather than them moving the plot forward. Sinbad who is a secondary character, acts more like the protagonist.

There are more to add, but these are the most notable ones because they are pretty well known. There are a few others I disliked but aren't really that popular so I might talk about them some other day. Well, I suppose I could add Naruto to this since it's really popular as well. I can't exactly say I dislike it but... I just got bored of it. The concept was good, lots of potential but the story is way too long and I can't be bothered. From the things I've heard from friends or read online, it also seems like the plot was all over the place later on so yeah...

Last edited:
One Piece and Digimon.

OP for the protaganists hitting each other, animal and women abuse. I dislike the carnist protagonist. Needs flesh meat all the time.

Digimon because of OP villains beating down the heroes in repetitive episodes. Some fans defend this bad writing.

Back
Top Bottom